Good Wyndham Rewards promo means you should be staying at a Ramada or Days Inn!

A generous new promotion means that you can get a free night at any of 8,000 hotels across the world if you can squeeze in two stays at a Ramada or Days Inn property this spring.

Wyndham – even though you may never have heard of it – is actually the largest hotel group in the world with over 8,000 properties.  The majority of these are low-cost hotels in the USA, primarily outside major cities, and you are unlikely to stay in one unless you are doing a US road trip.

In the UK, Wyndham Rewards is the loyalty scheme for hotel chains Ramada and Days Inn.  It also covers chains which you don’t find in the UK – Wyndham, Tryp, Wingate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Baymont, Super 8, Howard Johnson, Knights Inn and the US (not UK) Travelodge.

There are around 30 Wyndham Rewards hotels in the UK.  The Days Inn hotels are generally found on motorway service stations which is why you may have missed them, although there are a couple in London.  The Ramada properties are better spread.

A number of the better hotels have been reflagged in the last couple of years.  The Ramada at Excel in London is now a DoubleTree.  The Ramada at the Mailbox in Birmingham is now under AC Hotels, a Marriott brand.

The Days Inn at Waterloo, pictured below, is about as exciting as it gets.

Why are we talking about Ramada and Days Inn today?

Wyndham Rewards has just launched a generous new promotion.

If you complete two stays at any Wyndham Rewards hotel globally by 1st July, you will receive a free night at any Wyndham Rewards property.

Full details are on the Wyndham Rewards website here.

How does it work?

What actually happens is that, after your 2nd stay, you receive 15,000 Wyndham Rewards points.

Wyndham has a slightly bizarre redemption structure.  ALL hotels – every single Wyndham Rewards property on the planet – cost a flat 15,000 points per night.

This is pretty radical stuff on the face of it.  There are no charts, no peak or off peak dates.  Wherever you want to stay, it will be 15,000 points.

In reality, it is not quite so radical:

When it introduced flat pricing, Wyndham actually increased the cost of a lot of hotels.  Far fewer came down in price.  Whilst the old range was from 5,500 points to 50,000 points, there were very few hotels in the higher bands.

Outside of this promotion, you still need to spend $1,500 to get a free night based on the standard earning rate of 10 points per $1 spent.  Because Wyndham does not run a lot of bonus point promotions, you may still get free nights more quickly with other chains.

Wyndham has very few aspirational properties.  There is nothing in the UK that I would get excited about.

There are certainly some good aspirational places elsewhere.  These two US articles (here and here) discuss some of them although be aware that some of the properties mentioned, such as Miami South Beach, have now left the chain.  There are also New York options which would be good value.

Is this promotion worth a look?

For some Head for Points readers, there is good value to be had here.

It is going to be tricky for many people to find two Ramada or Days Inn hotels in the UK to stay at, if we’re honest.  On the other hand, if you are travelling around the US this spring then it will be a doddle to find two cheap Super 8, Howard Johnson, Days Inn etc etc properties.  You could then leverage that into a free night at an expensive Wyndham Rewards hotel elsewhere in the work.

If you are looking for hotels, the official website for Ramada and Days Inn in the UK is here.  There are Wyndham Rewards sign-up links on both sites and you can learn more about this offer here.

A new 'buy Avios' bonus launches today - with changes to the rules
Bits: Get an extra Hotels.com Rewards free night credit, Germania flying for BA, Clubcard to BA competition

Comments

1. I had a lot of Wyndham points expiring last year that had been racked up at the Ramada Encore in Inverness when it was still open.

There was never anything interesting in the European cities we visited last year so in the end we used them for three nights at the Ramada Plaza in Southport and we were actually very surprised at the quality of the hotel. Breakfast was £10 per person per day when booked at checkin and the restaurant was also very nice.

Rates were £150 a night for the weekend we were there so we felt that we got reasonable value for money and it was somewhere a bit different for a weekend away.

2. I’ll be taking a look at this for our upcoming trip to Australia. Anyone have experience of a mattress run at Days Inn?

3. There’s a blast from the past. The Waterloo Days Inn pictured was my uni halls of residence (in the early 90’s).

4. People who travel regularly for work within the UK, are all too aware that there are certain hotels that are forever swapping brands. They’ve been a Stakis, Forte, Jarvis, Ramada-Jarvis,Highland, Paramount, Britannia, Quality or Thistle and each one in turn has “reviewed their franchise or porfolio” and today they are called something else.

There are even some hotels where you immediately get that nasal memory of cabbage mixed with must, old wardrobes and tour bus ” as soon as the Corporate Travel Agent say the words “negotiated company rate”.

I’m probably being unfair, there is a gem or two in every portfolio, but there are just some brands I will not stay in in the UK.

5. Felix Flyer says:

Ramada Wakefield by the M1 gave me a rate of £37 last year and was pretty good for the price. Note that your spend can be less than $1500 as Wyndham Rewards give you a minimum of 1000 points per stay.

• tumbleweed says:

That’s a pretty decent hotel and location for what it is. I accomodate most of my US touring musicians there hen they’re playing my Leeds venue. They love it – easy off and easy on to M1.

6. Stupid question but can you claim multiple redemptions? I.e. 7 free nights for 14 seperate stays? If so this deal is amazing value.

7. I am desperate to try & rack up Wyndham points.
    Off to SF in the summer, with a short stay in Napa.
    There is a stunning resort hotel available with rewards, but not part pay.

8. Sounds interesting. Could use that for an upcoming trip to Canada.
    Is there a website that tells you when a perticular hotel is cheapest? A bit like the low fare finder for BA?

• Canadian (Calgary) here – I find the Days Inn near airports are silly cheap, roughly C$100 tops.

Very tempted by this offer.

• Thank you. Flying in to YVR and hotels are horribly expensive there. Will then rent a car and heading to Calgary actually. Hope hotels get cheaper on the way.

9. Concerto says:

My confusion, as a Melia Rewards member, is about Tryp hotels in Germany. I am not sure if they are part of Melia or Wyndham, and reception had no idea about it (Munich appeared to be Melia, Halle appeared to be Wyndham)…or maybe they’re split between the two. If you’ going around Germany, Tryp hotels can be a good deal.

10. RussellH says:

I use the Ramada Dover about once a year, usually on a 3000 points + cash basis. We have been pleasantly surprised by the restaurant there too. By no means wonderful, we have felt it was value for money, while the menu was rather more inventive than what we have found at Holiday Inns. We get the points, as suggested, from Motels in the USA, usually.
    There has been a massive reduction in their portfolio in the UK though, including some perfectly decent, although just average places. Many, such as Manchester Piccadilly Gardens, Glasgow George Square and a new place just north of Bolton, by Horwich Parkway, are now Mercures. Crewe had two Ramadas, the Encore bacame Ibis Styles and the Ramada, quite pleasant when we stayed there, with a good Indian restaurant, is now perhaps the worst HI Ex I have seen in this country. Glad to hear that the Southport Ramada is quite good – there is an excellent annual fireworks display at the beginning of October, but we always left it far too late to book anything but a B+B.

The Silverado in Napa is a Dolce Hotel; there is another in La Hulpe just outside Bruxelles that I want to try sometime, and there are a number of others in places such as Sitges. They all look to be worth investigating.

One annoying things about Wyndham Rewards is that you get no points for F+B spend, as far as I can see.

11. Rob Brown says:

Anyone have any experience crediting Tryp stays to Wyndham? I do a lot of Tryp stays but they always credit to my Melia account. (From the tryp website it goes through Melia when you go to book.) anyone know how to change the programme to Wyndham?

12. Well the reason I’m not is despite the fact I find myself in Bangkok for an extra few days unexpectedly, on the Ramada website the Ramada Bangkok is 5200THB per night whilst on the OTAs it’s down at a third of the price !!

Don’t especially want to stay there but thought “well I’ll tick one of the 2 nights off”….but I’m not paying three times the price of the OTAs just to get half-way to qualifying for a free night !!
    Looking at them vs the competition , this hotel should not be 5200THB !!

13. Totally off topic.
    Stranded in Bangkok !!

Does the insurance which comes with the Amex Platinum card (UK) include flying you home in the same class as you were originally booked if you missed your flight home due to hospitalisation ?
    How about your partner ? They certainly provide £150 a day for accomodation & food.
    But I am now worried they will fly us back in economy 🙁 J on Finnair was booked.

The old NatWest Black Card insurance was bloody brilliant. Bit worried about this Amex policy.

• Why not ring them and ask?

• Because I have a temperature of 39.2 and am hooked up to all sorts of contraptions and I’m pretty exhausted !

And this is usually a nice place where people will share their experiences of a similar situation if they can.

Thanks for your advice 🙂

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Documentation isn’t clear. If your trip is ‘cut short’, including due to illness, you get up to £7.5k for ‘reasonable, necessary travel costs’ and are covered for unused travel, but the medical benefits section explicitly states ‘economy class’ for repatriation of companions following treatment (it doesn’t specify what the policyholder gets). If your companion is the supplementary cardholder (i.e. covered in their own right by the policy), may be better for them to claim individually but probably best to call and ask. Incidentally, if you’re in hospital, you’re entitled to £50 per night to ‘make your stay more comfortable’ on top of the £150.

• I can’t believe no one’s said it – Get better soon James!

…but this…’the medical benefits section explicitly states ‘economy class’ for repatriation of companions following treatment (it doesn’t specify what the policyholder gets)’ Andrew (@andrewseftel)

….has shot Amex plat policy in the head for me.

14. Lady London says:

If as Andrew Seftel above says, you are covered for unused travel then it looks like you would be refunded the unused J seat? giving you enough to re-buy it on the way home?

Maybe you or your companion could talk to the doctor in charge of your case and ask / nudge for an official statement of the travelling conditions necessary for your repatriation? You can produce it at an appropriate moment when such is being arranged.

Have to say though you are a true HfP-er – you have a temperature of 39.2, very will and yet still dealing with the important things like class of travel due to your medical emergency … 🙂

• Oh yeah, that was my top concern. Not Dengue fever or malaria 🙂

The first person dealing with my claim advised they would provide return travel for both of us on a like-for-like basis so business class would be provided. They could book for me or I could book and claim cost back.
      However just had a call from another member of the same team (just following up) and in the course of the conversation they stated we’d be in economy. When I mentioned business class and the previous conversation the caller stated the policy says economy but that they would look at the policy wording again.

I would be absolutely furious if I had purchased replacement biz flights after the first conversation and then been told no in the second !!
      That said, I’m pretty bloody annoyed as it is. I thought this was a premium insurance policy. It seems not.
      If you travel in anything other than economy then the AMEX Platinum credit card insurance isn’t for you 🙁

Your ideas about using a different part of the policy are interesting.
      Have no idea what I’d spend £50 a night on to make my hospital stay better. The foods pretty good.

15. Cheers Cate 🙂
    I am much better thanks but still not fixed !

Yeah, this is going to end my relationship with the AMEX Platinum card if the insurance turns out to not cover business class travel.

16. Well I actually fell ill (had to lie down before collapsing) at the airport waiting for our flight home !!! So it hasn’t cut our trip short it’s actually extended it for myself & companion.

But there’s not much sun, fun or sightseeing from a hospital bed 🙁

So I don’t think the section on cutting your trip shot will apply unfortunately but it was a good idea.

• Actually my trip has been cut short, you’re right @andrewseftel.
      Part of my trip involved a business class flight home via Helsinki with a night in a hotel in Helsinki.
      So it has been cut short.
      So under that part of the policy I presume I can claim for the cost of those flights and hotel stay. Good bit of bargaining power with AXA.

Not sure the best place to discuss AMEX Platinum & their insurance online (forum etc…) Any ideas ?
      Can’t find much on FT.

• Just to update, I have been informed that AXA will provide business class flights as they endeavour to provide a like-for-like replacement.
        I guess the condition about the companion is in there as a fallback position.
        I’m very pleased about that in the context of my current situation but also due to the fact that I do not need to cancel the AMEX Platinum and look for alternative insurance.
        Great news all round.
        Oh, and I’ve survived my near death experience – which is almost as important as Tier points.

17. My partner won 15,000 points in a competition. We used them for a night at the Dubai Jumeirah property. Able to book a Club access room with the 15,000 points. As it was Summer we were upgraded to a huge 2 Bedroom Suite that probably had more floor space than my house! Could be a wee mattress run coming up!

18. tumbleweed says:

Regarding the 2 nights stay – does anyone know if the account holder has to be the person who stays ? I book rooms for touring musicians where the room would need to be in their name – but as long as I booked it through my Wyndham account that would work ? Thanks

• If the hotel changes the booking at check in it is likely not to credit. If left untouched you will be ok.

I once did this for a friend during IHG Accelerate. He paid the bill with his credit card and IHG invalidated the stay (correctly, of course).

• tumbleweed says:

but if the stay is prepaid (by me) then there shouldn’t be that ‘problem’ ? if there’s any doubt then I likely wouldn’t do it as I’m sure I can squeeze in 4 stays (self & ms tw) on our US trip from 13 June.