BA

Bits: new Accor / Avios promo now live, Radisson and Park Inn sale on, triple Shangri-La points

News in brief:

New ‘6000 Avios’ Accor promo now active

A couple of weeks ago we wrote about the new Accor (Novotel, Ibis, Sofitel, Pullman, Mercure etc) promotion.  You can earn 6,000 Avios or €120 of vouchers for completing 3 x 2-night stays.

Today is the first day that stays count towards this promo.  If you need to book a few two-night hotel stays for the coming weeks then take a look at my original article on how to take part.

The flagship Sofitel St James is pictured below.

Radisson and Park Inn Dream Deals sale now on

Radisson, Park Inn and Park Plaza have brought back their regular Dream Deals sale.

Until 25th February, you can save 25% on stays in 500 hotels across Europe, the Middle East, Africa and the Americas.

Member of the Club Carlson rewards scheme will get a higher 30% discount and 2,500 bonus Gold Points per stay.   I tend to value a Gold Point at around 0.33p so the bonus points are worth an extra £8 or so on top of your sale discount.

The Radisson Blu page is here, the Park Inn page is here and the Park Plaza page is here.

Shangri La The Shard

Triple Golden Circle award points with the app – a 30% rebate!

A month ago we wrote about an offer of 100 free Shangri-La Golden Circle points for downloading their new app.

This was actually a two-part offer.   To be honest, until a reader flagged it with us, I hadn’t realised how generous the rest of the deal could be.  As well as 100 points for downloading the app and logging in, you will get:

• Double Golden Circle points when booking via the app
  • Triple Golden Circle points when booking via the app and using mobile check-in or check-out

Triple Golden Circle points is a great deal.  The standard earning rate is 1 point per $1 spent but this would increase to 3 points per $1 under this promotion, plus any status bonus.   Taking the food and drink redemptions as an example, 1000 points gets you a $100 voucher.  This means that you are getting a 30% rebate on your spending via that route.

The idea of spending $1,000 of company money at a Shangri-La in Asia and receiving a $300 food and drink voucher for the Shangri-La in The Shard in London is certainly attractive ……

More information about the app is on this site.  Full T&Cs are here.  The offer applies to stays until 30th April.

Using Avios on Royal Jordanian - Part 1, review of short-haul Crown Business
The top 12 UK loyalty credit card sign-up deals by £ value

BA
IHG
BA

Comments

1. OT: I’m trying to book a reward flight between Auckland and Christchurch as I can see Qantas fly that route. But when I put it in to the BA site it keeps saying BA and partners do not fly that route. Am I doing something wrong or is the BA site just being hopeless as usual. It’s got so bad lately when trying to book anything I’m tempted to give up the Avios game altogether and stop using them until they sort out their website.

• the website doesn’t work with any QF flights operated by regional partners etc (inc. Aus to NZ – operated by a low cost subsidiary) – you’ll need to call in to get these, they should wave the booking fee. Been like it for years no idea why they can’t fix it!

But I just had a look – these flights are operated by Jetstar – their low cost airline – these aren’t bookable using Avios.

• Thanks Sam, that’s helpful about the website. I did a search on SkyScanner and it looked like there were flights with both Jetstar and Qantas which was what made me think I should be able to book with Avios. I may call the booking centre just to double check.

• You will need to book via the call centre as the Qantas branded flights are operated by JetConnect as Qantas. These don’t appear, like all Qantas regional flights operated by QantasLink on BA.
          They can see the flights in the call centre.
          Please don’t redeem on Jetstar, it is quite bad value Avios to comfort wise, plus on 20kg luggage.
          Qantas will allow full status baggage.

• Hayley – we flew that route on Air NZ and found that the domestic Air NZ fares were much lower on their .co.nz site than on the .co.uk site.
          It was only about £40 per person one way.

• Qantas do not fly AKL-CHC – or indeed any domestic NZ flights. It’s Jetstar, which while owned by them is NOT part of oneworld, and doesn’t offer Avios redemptions.

With the greatest of respect, it’s not really on to blame BA’s IT for your inability to understand schedules – and of course this is another reason not to trust skyscanner (which is a very poor tool!) – it was showing you a QF codeshare rather than the actual operating carrier.

2. my understanding / experience is = JetConnect (QF coded – Aus-NZ vv) you can redeem Avios by phone but Jetstar (intra-NZ) you cannot. As Michael says these would be unlikely to be good value anyway – the domestic flights are pretty cheap

If you are doing any long distance flying in Aus e.g. Perth – Sydney, that is when Avios do tend to be good value esp. booking close in

3. the_real_a says:

OT – since a few people asked i replied to my comment about nesting a HKG – LHR – HKG inside two one ways to save additional taxes using a Llyods upgrade voucher.

4. OT: when using a 241 do you have to return to the same UK airport that you departed from?

5. Another OT!
    Insurance – I have just had a very positive result on a claim for an abandoned main holiday sector through partner’s illness at our Far East start point. Apart from medical costs I had several flights, hotels, a cruise, visa costs, flight change fees etc (all individually booked by me) refunded with no quibbles. This was a standard policy that comes with of a Lloyds current account. Claim processed within 2 weeks. Amount £7000+

Although I also have an Amex Plat – apart from medical it only covers most expenses if you have paid for them using the card. Apart from the main flights out of the UK all other costs were not in £ and so that card was not used.

As our return flight (on AY via HEL) was 11+hrs late into LHR an added bonus has been a successful claim for 2 x EUR600.

• Re. Lloyds insurance – that’s good to know. Thanks for posting.

• KBUffett says:

I was stranded for 48 hours due to cancelled flights (there was only one flight a day out). I then decided to make my own way by travelling to another European city and flew out of there. Had I stayed the flight was cancelled on the third day too.
      Anyway, my Amex Plat insurance would not cover anything claiming flight cancellations are not covered! Beware!

6. Mr(s) Entitled says:

OT: I’m about to stay in my first Marriott (Breadsall, Derby). If I get SPG Gold via Amex Plat and I then use that to obtain Marriott Gold, do I get a free breakfast and is that typically enforced as a continental breakfast? My experience of Hilton’s is that you gain access to the full buffet irrespective of the T&Cs.

• It depends if there is a lounge and if it’s open as. There is a good thread on Flyertalk that tracks this. This is what it says for that hotel:

* Derby / Breadsall Priory, A Marriott Hotel & Country Club / No Lounge; Full breakfast in restaurant; 11/18/16 update

So you should get full breakfast as there is no lounge but that is based on a report from 2016.

• I’m not a member of FT but if anyone here is and wants to add, Marriott Windsor exec lounge doesn’t serve canapes/alcohol on Friday or Saturday. Starts again Sunday night.

• It’s a disappointing, low-grade hotel considering the setting unfortunately.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

That’s pretty much in line with my expectation.

• Thanks for that. I had looked at it as a potential place to stay but the reviews I’d read had made me wonder and what your have said confirms it isn’t great.

7. OT: I’m looking for hotel recommendations for Las Vegas. I’ve no idea what is the good and what is the bad…

• It all depends on your circumstances.. i.e how old you are, what you want to do, budget etc

There are some definite rubbish ones..i.e Circus Circus.

• Sorry, I was deliberately vague, as I was leaving my options open.

We’re a couple in our thirties. Cash booking, not points. Diamond status with Hilton and Spire Ambassador with IHG.

• Optimus Prime says:

I loved the Palazzo.

As Spire Ambassador I did get the room upgrade, complimentary gift (fruit and water) and late checkout.

I booked directly on IHG website but I heard of people who did through Amex FHR and they got a double upgrade.

• I would suggest looking at Wynn/encore , Venetian, Palazzo. The weekdays are cheap roughly around £100-£120 a night but the weekends jump a lot. Remember resort fee on top which adds a lot.

• I booked the palazzo through amex travel to get the amex £200 off £600 spend on my amex platinum. Amex travel was significantly cheaper than booking direct with ihg, although I will get no ihg points.

• MrsS just spent four nights at the MGM Signature with a couple of friends for a 40th birthday few days away which she thought was excellent and got what seemed a very good deal on lastminute dot com booked a month in advance, flying Norwegian. Don’t believe any status would apply though.

+1 re resort fees which were $35 per day payable locally for very little in return.

• Try mycheapvegas.com username guest password guest.
      Lots of stays on there mainly mgm owned properties with free buffets each day all free cancellation too.
      If you have spg or Marriott points then cosmopolitan is a great hotel at 45k Marriott per night on the expensive Friday Saturday nights

• If its your first time in vegas I would reccomend a center strip casino somewhere near Bellagio, Paris , Ceasers. The further away you go from this point generally speaking (except for the wynn/encore) the prices drop however the distances are such that being in the middle of the action is perfect. Prices double at weekends and go crazy durring US holidays so a five day trip arriving on a sunday is often the most cost effective option.

Deals come and go so book a cancelable booking and keep checking.

Have a blast , its Vegas baby…

• Im 29 and went with my other half last year. We stayed in the cosmopolitan, it is very lively and has a great range of restaurants and pool parties (free entry) in the complex. I am planning on going in Aug this year for my 30th and will definitely be staying there again. I am marriott Gold so got upgraded (even tho it was Mayweather/McGreggor fight weekend) and late check out so that was an extra bonus.

I also stayed at the Encore a couple of years back, that again is beautiful with great clubs and bars etc but it felt slightly more refinded/relaxed than the cosmo, which was more young and trendy.

I stayed at Caesars when I was 21 that again was nice I think my taste has changed over the past 8 years, but it was a great hotel just not so much going on there now days (apart from Omnia)

As Roberto says…its Vegas baby….

• The Tropicana is a doubletree, swim up poker etc, had a great time. Hilton lake Las Vegas is a nice get away. Also Venetian is an Intercontinental, can be cheap during the week and big suites.

• Thank you for all the assistance. Its a toss up between Prestige level in the Palazzo, given my IHG status, or the Cosmopolitan because it sounds a bit lively and there’s a reasonable selection of restaurants.

8. OT HSBC premier criteria changing to 75k income rather than 100k so may help people get the world elite premier MasterCard

• Ooh interesting. Will they include rental income in that 75k?

• Not sure potentially, they won’t include income from savings and investments.
        You will still need to have a life product or a Hsbc mortgage too.
        Change coming 26th March ish

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Any changes to Jade?

9. OT. Have Amex 241 that expires 24th June.
    If I book outbound flights for 23rd June, am I ok to return in July, or do both segments have to be flown before it expires.

10. OT – if you cancel a BAPP card, do the points sweep over after you cancel (as they only go over to BAEC once a month) or should you wait until the end of the month to cancel?

• They don’t go over when you cancel so definitively wait. I didn’t and it was a right faff getting them as Amex deleted the link to my BAEC account on cancellation.

• This is often reported here but I think it might be down to sloppy CS agents. Last time I cancelled my SPG and nectar cards the agent told me the pending points would still go over on schedule and they did. I only had very small amounts of points to transfer though, were it a more substantial number or a bonus I would still want to see them safely trabsferred before cancelling.

• Sorry my reply wasn’t very clear. I was trying to say that the points don’t go across on cancellation, rather they are suppose to go across at the beginning of the next month like usual. However, sometimes that fails as the link is lost and it is then a bit of PITA to get them as you’ve cancelled. So I wouldn’t risk it if it was a reasonable number of points.

• Thanks all.

11. OT – My old favourite for T5 parking Premier Inn T5 is no longer on Just Park – can anyone suggest any alternatives? Ideally with TFL buses to T5 / T2.

• LHR Renaissance and Marriott Windsor. Marriott Windsor have a 2000 bonus air miles offer at the moment. Also if you do a Park and Fly it’s classed as a stay for Marriott’s current Megabonus.

12. OT – Heathrow Rewards premium question. I don’t suppose spend at Heathrow using Instant Rewards or Airport Shopping Vouchers count towards the £750 spend target to reach premium?

• Oddly it might do, since HR usually awards points based on the gross value of transactions irrespective of how you pay. No promises though.

• Thanks! I’ll give it a go and let you know. Perhaps there’s a way for my random Lufthansa and Emirates miles to contribute (somewhat indirectly) to increased Avios earning!

13. OT – I have a small balance of 3k miles with AF/KLM Flying Blue expiring in a week. Any advice on burning them? Thanks

• Might be able to use them with pointshound if miles and cash is possible. Top up with MR points to get enough for a European flight.

14. OT- My Norwegian flight LGW-SIN is now moving from evening to morning next day. Kinda nice because my way out was LGW and return was LHR.
    Any other tips to travel east on the cheap? Ideally connection on Europe so I could start on LHR. Appreciate any tips, cheers

• Pangolin says:

Ryanair now flies to Amman, Jordan, if you consider that east!

Other than that, Norwegian to SIN is about as cheap as it gets currently, notwithstanding special promos that crop up from time to time.

If you were willing to fly from WAW via a hop from LHR then LOT Polish airlines regularly offers fairly cheap economy flights (they offer Promos every Wednesday if you sign up to their news letter).

The other thing is to check out the Chinese airlines (Air China, China Eastern) to places like Beijing and Hong Kong, etc.

• Pangolin says:

I would have mentioned Scoot also but if you look below you’ll see that someone has ninja’d me on that.

15. Class, ow or rtn, how much is cheap?

• Y, £200 is a good fare. Guess norwegian is still winner at this price point, can’t see anywhere close.

• Eurowings used to fly cheap from DUS-DMK I think so have a look to check if they still do. Doubt you will find it that cheap though. A couple of years ago I got BKK rtn EDI-BKK for just over £300 on a breaking deal and was able to upgrade the return.with miles from 2 credit card signups and a family account.

• SQ’s LCC arm Scoot is launching TXL-SIN this summer for under €200 ow (they also operate ATH-SIN)

• Good spot, do they have a premium product?

• Lady London says:

Yes they do. At least relatively. Had some excellent pricing emailed to me for this route. So suggest you sign up for their emails.

• Thanks LadyLondon, I will take a look. If it’s a daytime flight I can live with PE.

• Lady London says:

Not sure the relatively better product is anything like PE though – think it’s more a premium bundle.

16. Harry Hv says:

Warning – Scoot no longer exists, it used to be great but now it’s been taken over by Tiger Airways which is an Oriental equivalent of Ryanair only less reliable.and a history of safety violations. Their 789 cabin is interesting, two long aisles and no connecting passage in between, not even at the entrance doorway – if you’re on the far side you must clamber over mid-row passengers to reach your seat, or to reach the toilet. So if you really want to risk Tiger, never select seats in the middle section!

• Other way around- Scoot (owned by Singapore Airlines) has taken over Tiger – but that is only the short haul fleet – the long haul fleet is all brand new 787 delivered to Scoot -same as Norwegian

No idea what you are talking about – there is a cross over at row 10 at the entrance and then you can just use the facilities on your side. If you are seated in the middle middle seat you could go either way !

Anyway…. the premium cabin is pretty good – but is v small on the 787-8 they are using to Europe so isn’t super cheap

They also have a small mini cabin that doesn’t allow children – a bulkhead seat in row 4 is what I’ve gone for . There is a bit of a trick – if you buy the “PlusPerks” package you get the extra leg room + extras cheaper than just buying the seat. No seat back TV, you can pay to stream from their system to your device

The problem is this (and most Singapore flights) from Europe leave in the morning so you need to go to Berlin the night before. This isn’t a major issue to be honest- hotels there are cheap and it’s easy getting to the airport on the bus

• Pangolin says:

Way off the mark.

Scoot is part of SQ and they are also being used to replace Silk Air services on selected routes (like Langkawi).

If you’re flying SIA to SIN then you have LHR as an option.