Bits: 2400 Avios with LEGO Technic, Singapore brings new First to London, 100 free Shangri-La points

News in brief:

2400 Avios or 2500 Virgin miles with LEGO Technic

The first LEGO / Tesco Clubcard deal of the year has arrived.  Until 28th January, you will receive:

• 500 extra Clubcard points when you spend £30+ on LEGO Technic
  • 1,000 extra Clubcard points when you spend £60+ on LEGO Technic

1 Clubcard point is worth 2.4 Avios or 2.5 Virgin Flying Club miles.

Full details are on Shopper Points here.  If SP is not responding due to IT work (we are migrating SP to a new server at some point today) then you can see the sets available on the Tesco site here.

Singapore Airlines brings its new First Class suites to Heathrow

Business Traveller reports that Singapore Airlines will be rostering a brand new A380 on the Heathrow route from 16th February, operating the SQ305 / SQ322 service.  This will be on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.  From April 7 onwards, there will be a switch and it will operate as SQ317 on the London-Singapore leg, flying on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

This plane will have the hugely impressive new First Class suite and Business Class shell seats which we covered here.

Be aware that the airline may need to switch aircraft at short notice for operational or technical reasons.  If you need to head to Singapore, however, it is worth targeting this departure if you can.

100 free Shangri-La Golden Circle points

Shangri-La Golden Circle is offering 100 free points to all members who try the new Shangri-La mobile app.

You need to download the app and log in at any point before 30th April.  No booking is required.

Full details are on the Shangri-La website site here.  The points will arrive in 2-4 weeks.  There is also a double and triple points promo for members who book and check-in via the app.

If you don’t already have a Shangri-La account then 100 points isn’t going to get you very far at most properties, although they are worth about £8.  You only need 500 points for a $50 food and beverage voucher which can be used in the bars and restaurants at the Shangri-La in The Shard for example.

Some bars and restaurants can swipe your membership card for an instant discount.  This means that you would get $10 of value from this offer with no need to collect further points.

What are the best bonuses for LONG TERM card spending?
Dubai Marriott Harbour - a good family redemption where a points room sleeps 5!

Hilton

Comments

1. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

I don’t think there’s any minimum redemption for a Shangri-la instant dining reward. 100 points = $10 should be good for a coffee or something at the bottom of the Shard, perhaps also higher up.

2. Concerto says:

I thought, to be honest, it was 500 points minimum and increments thereof. So if you have 542 points coming up for expiry as I did, 42 points go to waste.

• You are both right. The voucher minimum is 500 but at those hotels that can swipe your card there is no minimum. Adjusted.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

If you have Shangri-la elite status (e.g. Jade from Amex Plat) the instant dining redemption rate is boosted to $12.5/100, so you’re better off not using the voucher redemption if you can avoid it.

• New Card says:

So we can just go to the restaurant and pay using our Jade S-L card at a rate of $12.50/100pts? No voucher to obtain at the business centre? If so, that sounds great…

3. Samuel Yui says:

Did anyone know how long it takes for Heathrow reward points to transfer to Avios?

• I sent some on Friday night, they arrived today.

That was to BAEC and have transferred points before if that makes any difference.

• The faq on the HR site says they transfer to third parties on Mondays. There is then the lag of then processing at the other end that they obv don’t control.

4. New SQ Suites does look nice. Mind you on my flight back last week there were only 2 other pax in the cabin, so I had my Suite at 1A to eat/relax in and then then made up a double bed 2C/2D for me to sleep in – so I actually had more space than in the new one 😛 Superb service, great flights – all for only 265k KrisFlyer and £330 return to Auckland too!

5. Rob – what is the date for AMEX implementing the two year minimum churning gap between cards in order to qualify for the new card bonus. You mentioned it yesterday but not the date of implementation.

6. O/T I have just received the 50% bonus Hilton points for transfers from Amex Platinum, so have effectively received 3 Hilton points per Amex MR. I transferred the rewards on 5th December, so took exactly 7 weeks.

• Richard Chaplin says:

Is this a current offer for Amex > Hilton bonus – can’t find any record of it?

• Was targeted.

• I received an email in December.

• roberto says:

Was targeted and I did not get it so being a bit of a lad I phoned and asked nicely if I could get the deal added to any of my cards and was politely told no..

However Amex did throw 10k MR into my pot and transferred the lot to Hilton at the 2 for 1 rate.. You can say what you like about amex but their customer service its bloody good..

• OH recently emptied his MR points after referring me to Hilton, wish I had remembered about this bonus offer and got him to call

• Sunshinecoast says:

I wasn’t targeted and have just looked at my Hilton account and I received bonus points on the 22/1, I only transferred 400 points as I was checking if it would work. So if you transferred points back when the offer was on you may have them even if you weren’t emailed like me.

7. Neil Donoghue says:

Any idea how much the new Q suite is one way from London – Singapore with Kris flyer points please?

• Penelope Buchannan-Smith says:

First and business class Saver space are all but absent on the London route. It’s actually been known for a while that SQ would indeed select London for its new A380 products, and saver space was accordingly blocked. If you look hard enough, you can find the odd date with First Saver space available for waitlist, but this is the exception rather than the rule. If you’re willing to splurge for Standard, you’ll find much better availability.

First – Saver (230k) // Reg (420k)

8. Has anyone heard anything about resumption of Marriott Rewards extra points like the NFL trivia on Sundays. I am quite missing it; can I get therapy?

9. OT
    The spend tracker on my Gold card has just appeared after 12 days.

10. I feel obliged to say that this “churning” of cards is in my opinion scamming and whilst it might very well fall within the letter of the law it certainly falls far short of the spirit!
    I find it unpleasant and low and I am shocked to see it actively promoted on this website!

• Nonsense. It’s completely within the Terms and Conditions of the card issuer, and in no way illegal. Are you saying Amex are so vulnerable to exploitation that they need some kind of protection from the general public?!

• Interesting that you’ve posted exactly the same comment in 2 comments sections today. Happy Trolling.

• Neil Donoghue says:

Great spot Alan!! Rob, I hope you can stop these trolls ruining your site.

11. Neuromancer says:

Can one transfer Shangri-la points between accounts? Spouse or other relatives?

12. Could anybody help me with a query I have about Singapore’s loyalty scheme please.

Reading through the Kris Flyer (Singapore Airlines loyalty scheme) information pages it states that you can achieve Silver status for a year upon earning 25,000 elite miles and Gold status for earning 50,000 miles. If I transferred 25,000 Amex rewards points to my Singapore account (with intent on redeeming them eventually) does that mean I would reach Silver Kris Flyer status? Or do the 25,000 points need to be earned from flying on Singapore flights?

13. OT: 250-1000 bonus clubcard points on Braun shavers and hair removal products through 31/1 at Direct.

14. I wish Singapore Airlines didn’t always have the bed made up in their promotional photos! It looks like a hospital bed to me with the chair next to it. But looks a bit better when its folded up, tho still a bit clinical