Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

You can take a 23kg suitcase on Flybe when you book via an Avios redemption

In Lesson 15 of our Avios Redemption University series we discussed Avios redemptions on Flybe.

What’s interesting is that a standard cash ticket bought on Flybe does not include checked luggage whereas an Avios redemption via avios.com does.

23kg suitcase on Flybe with Avios redemption via avios.com

(Flybe tickets booked via ba.com should also come with a free suitcase although you are told otherwise during the booking process – for safety book on avios.com.)

According to the avios.com website this can be a suitcase up to 20kg.  It turns out that this was changed to 23kg in May 2017 and, last week, the avios.com website was finally updated to reflect this.

Comments (90)

• mkcol says:

OT: I’ve just realised that 97,500 IHG points have been taken from my Rewards Club account.
    Someone has hacked in (I believe) & ordered £125 worth of Argos vouchers.

Yes I do have AwardWallet & yes I think I got a notification of the points balance dropping, but I’d happened at the same time to have been looking at a variety of possible redemptions and genuinely thought I’d booked something when I saw the notification.
    Today I went onto the IHG app & then website to see exactly what has gone on. Under account activity all it listed was the value of points going out, but didn’t say what for which raised my concern further.
    I’ve been in touch with IHG via Twitter as am at work & can’t make personal calls. They’ve frozen my old account, set up a new account & we’ve taken other steps to create a firebreak.
    I’m now waiting contact from their fraud department to find out what’s happened & most importantly to me if I’ll get the points back.

So my lesson from this to pass on is to always check your actual account when you get an AwardWallet notification, just to triple check everything is as it should be.

• Harj says:

My IHG rewards club account was hacked last week, was meant to post on here.

I got an email saying my account details had been changed. The problem is they only ask for a 4 digit PIN as a password to log in – not secure at all.

Luckily got the points re-instated, but had to call twice.

• Michael says:

OT: What what the last day to transfer Tesco points to Virgin for the 20% transfer bonus?

• Scott says:

Just downgraded from Plat to gold and almost spend 2k. The tracker is still showing I will earn the sign up bonus. This a mistake I presume? Thanks

• Tom1 says:

Would be nice if did.

Out of curiosity, why did you downgrade instead of just cancelling?

• Scott says:

Well yes, technically I cancelled plat and then re applied for gold. Wanted a card to keep MR account open.

• marcw says:

For a Hilton stay last May (booked early March last year), I received the Avios beginning of January 2018…

• Jimmy says:

O/T

Virgin Trains East Coast – if travelling with an under-5yr old child, I understand they go free (albeit without a seat reservation) however, do they get the free food onboard?

Thanks

• HappyHarry says:

On the BE luggage allowances:

If you redeem on Avios.com and your flight is BE or BA coded, then you get 23kg for free
    If you redeem on BA.com and your flight is BA coded, you get 23kg for free
    If you redeem on BA.com and your flight is BE coded, you get NO CHECKED ALLOWANCE

This caught be out recently but ti be fair to BA it is very clearly stated on their website…