Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Using your Avios points to pay for British Airways seat selection is coming soon

‘The Club’, the British Airways Executive Club online magazine, is – bizarrely – very rarely the source of any useful information about British Airways Executive Club.

(Typical article from ‘The Club’ – ‘Singer Celine Dion on her favourite holiday, where she’s visiting next and her packing essential’ ……)

Avios payment for seat selection is coming soon

However, the March 2018 edition does have some genuine newsAs you can read here (click, select country, then click this link again):

Later this year, Executive Club Members will be able to use their Avios to pay for and reserve seats in advance via Manage My Booking. This additional benefit is one of a number of new initiatives which will give members more ways to use their Avios.

The same page includes a reminder of the new Run Gatwick fun run on Sunday 13th May, which we have covered on Head for Points before, which will raise money for BA’s Flying Start charity.

Comments (98)

• Edward Noel says:

(First time poster.) Will I be able to use Avios to pay for reserved seats when booking, but pay for the rest of the cost normally? And, if so, would I still earn Avios on that flight, or would the whole flight be treated as a reward purchase? Many thanks in advance – greatly enjoying HfP!

• Rob says:

No, cannot (yet) use Avios to pay for seats.

• Edward Noel says:

Many thanks, Rob. Just wondering, when the time comes later this year, is it your understanding that one could use Avios just for booking the seats, pay for the rest of the cost normally, and still qualify to collect points for the flight?

• ColinJE says:

Just noticed that my transfer of 80k Amex Rewards points from a UK card to my Iberia account earned an additional 20% bonus. 16,000 extra avios! It took 3 days for the bonus to be added. If you’re thinking of moving some into an Avios account it might be worth a try.

• Rob says:

Be very careful. My test transfer did NOT get a bonus (7 days ago now). I did not get the original email though.

If you were NOT emailed about this then I wouldn’t risk it. If you were, you will probably be OK.

• Scott says:

After someone one here said they tried with 1,000 MR points and got the bonus, I transferred my stash (I would have converted into Avios anyway, so no risk for me) on 12th Mar, and just checked and a 20% bonus was added on 15th Mar, so pleased with that.
      I did receive the offer email.