Virgin Money

Bits: new Amex / Hilton £50 cashback deal, £15 off Lufthansa, Amex and Mastercard Best Western discounts

News in brief:

Hilton ‘£50 back on £250 spend’ cashback deal

A new Hilton cashback offer has appeared on a lot of American Express accounts.  To see if you are targetted, visit the Amex website and take a look under the ‘Offers’ tab on the online statement page for each of your cards.

You will receive £50 cashback when you spend £250 or more at selected UK and European Hilton, Doubletree, Waldorf-Astoria, Curio and Conrad hotels before 11th June.  (Hilton Paris Opera is pictured below.)

Not all hotels are participating.  Make sure that you check the list of hotels on the Amex website before booking – it is only UK and European hotels, and not all of them.  In theory you also need to book ‘pay at checkout’ rates to get this deal.  In reality, pre-paid rates will probably also trigger it.

In the past, these offers have been triggered by cumulative spend.  There is no mention of this – so you are not guaranteed to receive it if the £250 is not hit in one transaction – but it is likely to work.

Hilton has a week-long flash sale starting on Tuesday so you may want to save your bookings until then.  We will bring new more details next week.

Hilton £50 cashback offer

£15 off your next Lufthansa flight

Lufthansa is offering a £15 discount on your next flight from the UK to Germany.

You must book by 12th March (Monday) for travel between 8th April and 29th June.

The promo code you need is ZTCTQ4L39R12 which you can enter on the Lufthansa website here.

You enter the code on the payment page, right at the end of the process.  There is no minimum spend.  Flights must be operated by Lufthansa or Lufthansa City Line.

Lufthansa discount code

Special Best Western discounts with Mastercard and American Express

Best Western recently became an Avios partner.  This article explains everything you need to know including how to get a status match from a competing hotel chain or via your Virgin Flying Club status.

The chain has added two new UK hotel discounts for holders of specific credit and debit cards.

Mastercard holders can obtain a 20% discount on flexible rates via this deal here

American Express holders can obtain a 10% discount on B&B or DB&B rates via this deal here

Curve Card - a no-brainer for UK points collectors - adds rewards for new cardholders
Virgin Atlantic launching 'hand baggage only' and 'Economy Delight' fares - what do you get?

Comments

1. Craig Strickland says:

There is a list of participating hotels, none in Asia. Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland & UK with most of the hotels taking part being in the UK.

• I have stays coming up in Singapore but none of those hotels are not on the list too!

Might end up using my Marriott travel package at JWM.

2. OT – I signed up for the BA Wine Explorer back at the end of January, got my first box about a month ago, but the 1000 avois still haven’t posted. Is it normal for them to take so long to post?

3. Darren says:

Really OT, sorry.

I have an option to take Sainsbury, M&S or John Lewis vouchers for a long service award. I’d like to use these for a trip in May as either flight or hotel ‘payment’, are there any connections between these three options and one of the airlines or hotel groups.

Thanks

• There is a Kuoni inside Peter Jones in Sloane Square – whether other John Lewis have a Kuoni, and whether they take vouchers, is another question.

• Darren says:

Thanks Rob, I’m going go really off piste next time to test the knowledge here 😉

• A bit of a different strategy but….
          Sign up for a Lloyds avios credit card (I think can only apply by phone or in branch at the minute). I got one recently and it was 29 months interest free on purchases.

I don’t know how much you are talking about, but assume it’s £1000..
          Pay for your holiday on the credit card (or the same amount as your award)
          Take the long service award in Sainsbury’s/M&S/John lewis vouchers.
          Over the next 29 months, every time you go shopping at Saintsbury’s/M&S/Waitrose, pay with your vouchers, and then pay the same amount off your credit card bill.

Sure there are other credit cards that offer interest free on purchases – Lloyds was just an example because you’ll also be getting some avios back for the next holiday.

• Darren says:

Thanks Tom1, I see the strategy and tried to persuade MBH to start shopping in Sainsbury with the drip feed of vouchers but was hoping for a direct method.

I have a Lloyds Avios card which has reaped a couple of compensation payments for their appalling attempts, or lack of, to connect the avios collected to my avios account. over £300 so far. I think others have had a better return.

• KBuffett says:

Rob, do you know if the Qatar Desk in Harrods allows you to collect Harrods Rewards Points on flight bookings?

• Personally I would take the sainsburys voucher, use it for my shopping, then use the money I would have spent anyway to buy the travel I wanted. Obviously that only works if you eat supermarket food normally but most people do.

4. Amex MR to IB Avios

Are people getting bonus for this conversion?
    I know officially it is for Spanish Amex, but some have reported success so just trying to gauge success rate!

• I have done a test today so let’s see.

Only one positive report so far but to be fair no negative reports!

5. BrianN says:

For info, I just did the Best Western status match. I have Hilton Diamond and IHG Spire. They matched me to the top level BW Diamond Select.

6. Cate ⛱️ says:

OT as bits, if you were thinking of booking the new Tianjin A/L XIY-LGW route it’s now going to Heathrow.

7. They don’t accept requests any longer, luck of the draw unfortunately.

8. Yes, as long as it is before the cut-off date stated in June.

9. Not sure if anybody is still answering on this topic – if i make a reservation for hilton on booking.com – given it says it is based on amount settled at checkout – will the promotion still apply? Cheapest rate on hilton.com less 50 GBP discount is still more expensive than booking.com. Thank you in advance