Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

British Airways CityFlyer food from London City Airport continues to excel

I have mentioned the good London City food before but after a pleasant flight on a recent Friday I thought I would flag it again.

I flew back from Berlin into London City on BA CityFlyer. Club Europe food on City Airport flights is very good.  Even for short hops such as Berlin, you get a menu and a choice of two hot main courses.  My meal is pictured below (click to enlarge) which was ‘salmon with pumpkin tortellini garnished with asparagus on a seafood bisque’.  It was a little overdone but generally tasty.  The other option was ‘pork teriyaki garnished with rice and red pepper slice’.

BA cityflyer food

The reason the food is good, of course, is that the other Club Europe benefits are minimal.  You don’t get an empty middle seat flying into London City as the aircraft are 2×2.  Flying outbound, you don’t get lounge access at London City because there isn’t one.

If you are travelling in Economy on BA CityFlyer, there is good news for you too.  British Airways does not operate ‘buy on board’ on CityFlyer because of the lack of storage space, so you will receive a free drink and a (tiny) snack.

Comments (44)

• Rich says:

I would sooner spend less time at the airport so factoring in lounge time is not important. I think it’s great that you can still almost turn up and take off at LCY. The economy product good enough and the leg room decent or very decent if on the larger EMB. Paired seating a bonus if travelling as a couple.

• baccarat_guy says:

It’s a great video. I am glad you shared it. I seem to recall hearing Gabriel Leigh speak at Travel Magic (? think I got that right) in Brussels more than a few years ago. Agree, the quality of the production is spectacular. Of course, it reminds me how much things have changed over the past few years.

• Bach says:

OT – anyone knows for how long the IHG free night voucher is valid?
    Also IHG creation was I think launched approx 20 months ago so we are past the time where first persons who took the card for 1 year and tried to churn after 6 months wait for another sign up bonus… any success to report?

• W says:

As for the Amex to Iberia transfer: received my miles on the 10th, but haven’t received a bonus yet.

• AndyGWP says:

OT – I’ve had a Revolut card, but unsure if there’s a fee for topping it up with a credit card? (specifically I want to top up USD with my Creation IHG card). App seems to indicate there’s a charge but unsure what it would be, and also unsure whether Creation would count it as a cash advance. Anyone know? :/

• Tim M says:

HFP often fails to appreciate that the BA CityFlyer flights operating out of what Londoners call ‘The Regions’, what 87% of us call ‘The UK’, are the last remaining sensible use of Avios.

The Embraer 190s are the poor-man’s Concorde. They are almost the same size and layout internally. In business class, there is champagne and better food than available on any other airline operating those routes.

• sunguy says:

I see what you did there Rob…. as LCY is next door to the EXCEL centre and thats primarily where cityflyer go from ! 😉