Hilton

How to transfer Iberia Avios points to British Airways Avios points

I have covered a few Iberia Plus promotions on Head for Points recently.  This has led to a few emails asking exactly how you can transfer Avios points from Iberia Plus to British Airways Executive Club. The process has got even messier following security ‘improvements’ last year.

This article will act as a reference post and I can direct future queries to it!

The important thing to remember is that there is the ‘proper’ way to do this and there is the ‘fudge when Iberia’s IT goes down the toilet’ way.  I will cover both here.

Here are a few things to remember before moving Avios points out of Iberia Plus:

Your Iberia Plus account must be 90 days old before you can move Avios points out of it

If you want to transfer INTO Iberia Plus, your Iberia account must also have earned at least 1 Avios point.  The easiest way is to do a transfer from American Express Membership Rewards or credit a flight, car rental or hotel stay.

You can transfer your points back and forth, as many times as you like, for free

Transfers are instantaneous

Moving Avios from Iberia Plus to BA British Airways

There are two ways to do the transfer.  You will often find that doing it from ba.com fails for technical reasons no-one can understand.  You may have more success doing it from Iberia Plus.  If that fails, there is also a Plan C!

New security measures

In 2017 Avios introduced improved security measures for people wanting to transfer Avios between their accounts.

The bottom line is that pretty much ALL of your personal data must now match.  Email, date of birth, home address ….. the lot.

If you have combined Avios in the past but are now having problems, it is possible that your accounts do not have the same email address, or you moved house and forgot to update one of them.

There is also another issue.  Because of the Spanish surname system, signing up for Iberia Plus involves you giving your ‘first name’, ‘last name’ and ‘second last name’.  Your English surname should be ‘last name’.  If you enter your middle name as ‘second last name’ then Iberia’s system treats it as part of your surname and cannot match it with your Avios or BA surname.  This cannot be corrected online.

From ba.com:

Go to ba.com and log-in via the top right of the screen

Go to the ‘Manage My Account’ section which is under the ‘Executive Club’ tab

Click on ‘Combine My Avios’ in the left hand margin

However, as I mentioned above, this often fails to work when you try to move Avios points out of Iberia.  This forces you to plan B:

From iberia.com:

This is the one that proves tricky because it is hidden away!

Go to iberia.com and log-in by hovering over the ‘Iberia Plus’ box in the top right of the screen

Hover over ‘Iberia Plus’ again in the top-right corner and select ‘My Avios’ under the ‘My Profile’ menu

From the ‘My Avios’ page, click on ‘Buying or transferring Avios’

At the bottom of that page, headed ‘Buy, give away or transfer Avios’, you will see the line “Don’t forget you can combine your Avios with those of other customer loyalty programmes”.  Click this text.

(Important:  if your Iberia account has not been open for 90 days and has not earned at least 1 Avios point, you will NOT see this line of text because you are not yet able to transfer Avios.  Instead, you will see this:

rsz_iberia_plus_avios_transfer

There is a blank space under the ‘Transfer’ box where the ‘combine’ link should be.)

You will now be on the ‘Combine My Avios’ page.  Follow the instructions to send your points to avios.com or British Airways Executive Club.

And if that still fails to work:

From avios.com:

For reasons unknown, ba.com and iberia.com will often throw up error messages when you try to transfer between the programmes.

However, using avios.com as an intermediary almost always works perfectly.

(Unless your avios.com account is a household account. Then you are stuffed!)

If you don’t have an avios.com account you will need to create one.  Then, from inside avios.com using the ‘Combine My Avios’ option under ‘My Account’, do this:

Make a transfer from iberia.com into avios.com

Make a transfer from avios.com to ba.com

This WILL work (most of the time!) even when other options fail.

Get 2,000 Avios with ANY hotel booking, however cheap, via our current Kaligo.com offer
What does Fans of M.O. (Mandarin Oriental’s new programme) offer you when you stay?
Some links on Head for Points pay us an affiliate commission. A list of our partners is here.

Comments

1. delbert says:

Touch wood, I haven’t had any problems logging on to Iberia on either my account or my wife’s. In fact I just transferred Avios from Iberia to BA using the Avios website from both accounts without any issues whatsoever.

2. I really want to know how to combine the AerClub points and BA avois.

3. Delbert says:

OT – my wife and I are heading to Europe this coming Easter weekend from T5 and I would like to take my Bluetooth speaker in my carry on.

Do I have to take it out of my cabin case like I would a laptop?

Many thanks in advance.

• I thought that had all been stopped now?

• Delbert says:

I have never travelled with a laptop anyway, Rob. Anyway, thanks and well noted.

• If you are talking about the security screening of your carry on baggage, then you should take everything that looks electronic out and place it in the trays, so that it doesn’t confuse the person viewing the x-ray who has the power to delay you for a manual search of your hand baggage.

Within Europe there is no requirement to send any electronics in checked luggage, apart from BA flights in one direction from Istanbul to London.

• Delbert says:

Good point and thanks, John. This flight is also a test prior to our long haul flight at the end of April from T5 for which I will also be loading my Bluetooth speaker in my cabin case. Not risking such an expensive item in checked luggage. No big deal, just don’t want to create reasons for a search.

• I always take my speaker out. Unless I forget, in which case my bag is retained for searching without fail! Leading to long annoying waits due to my stupidity.

• You can’t win with them. Last time I flew the security guy insisted on pulling out and going through my makeup bag because he didn’t believe there were no liquids in it! He was astonished that you can actually obtain most cosmetic and toiletry items you might need in powder form.

• sunguy says:

Unfortunately, an awful lot of this relies on the training of the folks operating the scanner.

Generally, Heathrow (ex BAA) trainied staff are pretty decent at doing the job, though, sometimes you get someone who is over cautious on the scanner…

However, where the airport has been BAA and is now no longer (LGW, EDI, STN , etc) where they gutted the staff who had knowledge, there is quite a definite difference in the way passengers with electronics in their carryon are treated.

The difference entirely lies with being able to discerne on the screen what is just cables/generic electronics like speakers, and what needs further inspection.

If the operator isnt sure (often because they dont have enough experience and they also have set targets for number of bags to scan) then they have to have a manual search done.

Its basically that cruicial learning point on how to read the scans properly and knowing what you are doing.

BAA was not that great, some of the “little hitlers” that thought they were pretty much god of the airport were absoultely horrid, but the training by BAA was second to none. Unfortunately that later point cannot be said about the current crop of airport operators.

4. JamesS says:

A bit O/T, I finally managed to use my first 241 voucher – LHR > JNB in first and CPT > LHR in club (have avidly followed HFP for the last 18 months so thanks to Rob and everyone else for this wealth of knowledge).

All showing up under the same booking reference, our baggage allowance is showing the 3x32kg checked baggage outbound but then under the outbound I just see the following message:

‘One or more of your flights has a lower baggage allowance than the others but you can buy extra baggage allowance for this flight if required. See Extra baggage allowance below for details’

Then it shows me how much extra luggage costs per piece. I understand the rules whereby the business leg won’t assume the first baggage allowance, but nowhere does it say the entitlement is 2x23kg for the return.
    Is this just poorly laid out / communicated under the booking page, or should I call them to query?

• Should show baggage allowance under MMB. I have same type of booking made to YYZ, outbound F and return in J. In MMB under baggage it shows allowance for each flight. 3 x 32kg outbound and 2 x 32kg return.

• JamesS says:

That’s what I was expecting, however it only shows the hand baggage and additional cabin bag allowance. Then straight into:

Extra baggage charges for flight BA0058

‘Cape Town (CPT) to Heathrow (London) (LHR), Thu 14 Mar 2019, 18:45
        Extra baggage1st item of luggage (max 23kg)
        Airport price£65.00
        Pre-airport price*£60.00’

• How odd. I have quite a few bookings at the moment and they all show baggage allowance in MMB, 2 of the return bookings are different classes on outbound and return. Maybe give the system 24 hours to sort itself out (my answer to most tech problems are switch off/pull the plug out, leave for a bit and switch on again).

5. Yvonne Trimble says:

Following your very clear instructions (thank you), I have attempted to move my Iberia Avios to British Airways Avios using the first two methods described to no avail.

Both BA and Iberia show this dialogue when I reach the Combine my Avios page:

Which way do you want to transfer Avios?
    Which way do you want to move Avios?
    You can only move Avios from British Airways to Iberia Plus – you cannot move your Avios back again.

There is no option showing for me to transfer from Iberia Plus to BA.
    Am I missing something here?

• Yes, it is the usual IT bug. Open an avios.com account if you don’t have one and use that as an intermediary.

6. Do you know what? When I tried to fill some form on Iberia site recently it asked me for my ‘first surname’ which made me stop and think for good 10 seconds what they meant: my first name or my surname and only after that I figured out that it was about the Spanish system!