Bits: BA drops Oakland and moves some Vegas to Gatwick, up to 50% off LHR and European airport transfers

News in brief:

British Airways suspends Oakland service for Winter timetable

The new British Airways service from Gatwick to Oakland on the US West Coast, which has reportedly been running with loads as low as 50 passengers, is to be cancelled for Winter 2018/9.  The last flight seems to be Saturday 20th October.

To fill the gap, three of the ten weekly services from Heathrow to Las Vegas are to be moved to Gatwick.

It is not clear at this point if Oakland will return for the Summer timetable starting in late March 2019.  Like Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale, the route was started primarily to annoy Norwegian who were operating identical services.

British Airways suspends Oakland

£29.99 one-way transfers from Heathrow to London – and earn miles!

EDIT:  Code SAVE10UK gets a further £10 off the UK fares and CHAUFFEUR10 gets a further €10 off EU fares

Sixt mydriver is an attempt by the German car rental group to get into the territory currently occupied by Uber and Blacklane.  It offers a broad range of airport chauffeur trips.

The company is offering special rates, discounted by up to 50%, for its Economy Light service (basically Uber X, eg a Toyota Prius) on public holidays in May.  And there are lots of holidays in May!

Weekend:  Thursday 26th April – Tuesday 1st May
Weekend: Thursday 3rd May – Sunday 6th May
Ascension Day: Wednesday 9th May – Sunday 13th May
Whitsunday/Pentecost: Thursday 17th May – Monday 21st May
Weekend: Thursday 24th May – Sunday 27th May
Corpus Christi: Wednesday 30th May – Sunday 3rd June

Here are the fixed one-way prices to the city centre:

Berlin to / from Tegel:  €19.99
Berlin to / from Schoenefeld: €29.99
Paris to / from CDG: €29.99
Paris to / from Orly:  €29.99
London to / from Heathrow: £29.99
London to / from London City:  £19.99
Stockholm to / from Bromma:  €29.99
Madrid to / from MAD: €19.99
Rome to / from Fiumicino:  €29.99
Rome to / from Ciampino: €19.99

You must pre-book by 15th April at the Sixt mydriver website to get these rates.  The offer is not mentioned on the home page but the price will come up when you search on a qualifying date.

You can also earn airline miles with these trips.  Click ‘Add additional information’ on the payment screen and you can enter a Virgin Atlantic, Miles & More, KrisFlyer or Asia Miles number.   With Virgin Atlantic you will earn 3 miles per €1 – details are on the Flying Club website here.

2,500+ Heathrow Rewards points with your first Rocketmiles hotel booking (converts to Avios and more)
What is the best hotel scheme? - Le Club AccorHotels - The Opinion

IHG Sale

Comments

1. OT: Virgin Atlantic cards are not coming today, sometime this week…

2. OT
    Anyone know if you can upgrade an avios booked using Lloyd’s voucher? Have a PE outbound and wondering if its worth keeping an eye on J availability. Thanks

• JamesB says:

Not sure I understand you fully but sounds like you already used the voucher to book WTP for WT avios? If so, just call avios if CW becomes available and ask them to change it for you to CW for WTP avios.

• AndyR says:

JamesB any idea if you have to pay the £35 change fee for that?

• Polly says:

If they allow it, yes change fee applies.

• JamesB says:

Yes IM E, seems to go on just about everything. I recently changed dates on a cash WTP flight that I had UUA, I was charged £150 pp and the £35 pp was applied on top of that too.

• Thanks James
        Yeah – i have used the voucher WTP booked for WT avois. I’ll keep an eye out and hope my avios stash is sufficient should they appear.

• JamesB says:

I should add for clarity that when I changed a Lloyds voucher flight the agent said she would allow changes but not cancellation otherwise I would lose the voucher so take care not to fall into that trap.

3. Andrew says:

OT used my other half’s PRG to pay for our holiday and we want to split the Avios we got. She is in my household account for BAEC but only for the purposes of the 2-4-1 voucher we used. We were otherwise hoping to keep finances including Avios separate (I know… we’re a sweet couple…). So what are my options to end up with the Avios in my BAEC?

– How is Amex on matching details of either Iberia or BAEC? I have both accounts. Would they pick up on me changing my name, receiving, changing my name back?
    – I understand another option used to be set up an Avios.com HHA and then dissolve it and request Avios to be apportioned as you wish. Still an option?
    – Neither of us are gold so don’t believe we can transfer for free within BAEC.

Thanks in advance.

• Genghis says:

I sent (genuinely by mistake) avios from my MR account to my wife’s IB+ account (or was it the other way around) a few years ago. Went through OK. Same surname and same address. Could be worth a 1k tester?

• The details on your BAEC account need to match your Amex or they won’t let you move Avios in. I don’t know if you can move them to Avios.com from SPG.

• mark2 says:

Iberia are very touchy on details. I managed to put my wife’s second name in the second last name box so cannot do transfers as name does not match Avios/BAEC.
      But they did not object a few months ago.

4. Wivus says:

O/T but Bits. Sorry if these have been answered a hundred times before but I have looked but cannot find:
    If you have an Amex Platinum Supplementary can you also upgrade from your own Gold to Platinum and get the bonus?
    If you have a supplementary is that part of the 6 months too or only if you are the primary holder?

Thanks in advance

• Genghis says:

1) Yes. Holding a supplementary on someone else’s account and having your own accounts are completely independent
      2) No, same reason as above.

5. Richard Saunders says:

So if you want to fly BA Manchester to Last Vegas you’ll have to get from Heathrow to Gatwick by train or bus. BA is useless

• TGLoyalty says:

Use one of the 7 Heathrow flights?

• Not necessarily – there will still be a daily flight from LHR to LAS – there are three weekly flights from LGW in addition to the LHR service.

6. I was on the Oakland flight a couple of weeks ago, in CW, and it was 2/3 empty. I guess the demand just isn’t there.

But the fare was a grand cheaper round-trip than the LHR-SFO flights and the CW product is exactly the same.

I guess it was too good a value for pax to make any money for BA

• Sussex Bantam says:

“I guess it was too good a value for pax to make any money for BA” is a strange way of phrasing it !

I’d go with

“It was a grand cheaper than the flight to SFO and still PAX didn’t want to fly – hardly surprising it’s been cancelled”

• There was an interesting comment on Flyertalk. When you search for SanFran, it does not show the Oakland flight on ba.com. This is a massive mistake.

• Kathy says:

Huh! So the only people finding it were the people who already knew about it.

• @mkcol says:

That is ridiculous given that FLL comes up when you search MIA!

• In their defence (and there’s not much to credit BA’s IT with!) they desperately did want and try to fix this. It’s an Amadeus issue with the two airports not being coded with an IATA city, and as no other airline had a problem with it the bill would have fallen entirely on BA. And when the GDSs are involved, these bills are astronomical. Believe it or not, BA management was as frustrated as everyone with this.

• Roger says:

Is there similar issue with JKT (actually CGK), tried to use it on Amex Trave and wouldnt take it!

7. completely OT: but need two BA flights to make it to silver. Am i correct in thinking that a return HBO flight will do the trick? I am just trying to confirm that HBO fares count towards the qualifying flights. Thanks

• They do – just make sure they give you enough TPs IF you still need them. I got caught out this year – HBO to Stockholm was 5TPs not 10 etc. but yes they count as one of the 4 necessary flights.