Bits: 40% ‘buy Hyatt points’ bonus is a great Mallorca deal, large number of £1 Europcar rentals available

News in brief:

40% bonus when you buy World of Hyatt points means a good Mallorca deal

Until 23rd May, Hyatt is offering a 40% bonus when you buy World of Hyatt points via this link.

This is as big as World of Hyatt bonuses get.  It is also the most generous, with the full 40% bonus kicking in with a purchase of just 10,000 points.  Last time they offered 40% it only kicked in at 30,000 points.

It comes after a turbulent time for the loyalty programme, with its CEO leaving amid much criticism of the new benefits package and ludicrously high (given Hyatt’s small footprint) qualification requirements.

The deal is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

The bonus is staggered:

30% bonus on purchases of 5,000 to 9,000 points

40% bonus on purchases of 10,000+ points (the annual cap is 55,000 points pre bonus)

At the top end, you are paying $1,320 for 77,000 points (55,000 plus a 22,000 bonus).  That works out at 1.71c – or 1.22p – per point.

Park Hyatt Mallorca is a great way to use this

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca is a location where buying points may make sense.   Prices for cash are still a little scary – rooms from Euro 484 (£422) in August 2018, or Euro 550 (£480) if you want a cancellable one.  A redemption at 20,000 points per night (£244) would be a great deal.

But …. it gets even better.

For the first time since it opened, Park Hyatt Mallorca is offering ‘points and cash’ rooms in August.  Instead of paying €484 or 20,000 points per night, you can book for 10,000 points plus €114 per night.

This takes the cost per night down to (£122 for 10,000 points plus £99 for the €114 element) £221 per night.  More importantly, it means that you can book a full week using the maximum 77,000 points you can buy under this offer.

£221 per night for a 50 sq m room in a brand new 5-star resort in Mallorca in August is an outstanding deal.  The Park Hyatt is actually fairly cheap for cash at £480 per night because it is still new – the St Regis Mardavall is €800 (£700) per night for a cancellable room in the same week.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here.

Save 50% of Park Hyatt Mallorca by buying points

Europcar vastly increases the number of £1 car rentals available!

This is one of those odd little deals which has been running for a while – at least two years – but which you won’t know about if you are a new reader, and may well have forgotten about otherwise.

Europcar offers one-way UK car rentals for a flat fee of £1, including basic insurance.  Most are for trips to Heathrow or Gatwick.

This is not a marketing ploy.  The company is trying to save itself money by using you as free labour to get cars back to their original location or to re-allocate vehicles across sites.  Why pay a truck to haul a vehicle across the country when you can find someone willing to pay you £1 for the privilege?!

The Europcar £1 rental page is here (this may not work on mobile).

Historically availability under this deal has been spotty.  In the last few days, it seems that literally hundreds of vehicles have been added and are available for booking.

You need to pay for petrol, of course, so this is not necessarily cheaper than taking the train.  You also need to complete the journey within 24 hours of when you collect the car, and of course you need to get yourself to your nearest Europcar depot in the first place.  That said, I’m sure there are occasions when this could work out nicely.

My review of SAA business class from London to Johannesburg (and back) - Part 1
What are the best hotel promos for May 2018?

Hilton India and SEA sale

Comments

1. Off topic but hotel related – Can anyone recommend hotels for Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City,will be paying cash, have IHG Gold, but will have dropped to Hilton Silver by then. Priorities are a good central location and a comfortable clean hotel to enjoy when we are not out and about.

• IanMacK says:

Hanoi – Sofitel Metropole (one of the absolute classic south-east Asia old-style hotels)
      Easy to walk to the lake and other city centre tourist attractions

Ho Chi Minh – Park Hyatt
      Again easy to walk around the city sights

Sorry if not on IHG / Hilton track !

• Gregor says:

I stayed at the Intercontinental Asiana Saigon – lovely hotel with a great pool. I was there a couple of years ago but I imagine it’s still excellent. I got a good cash rate. As a Platinum Ambassador I got upgraded to a high floor corner room with great views across the city, including down onto the roof of the building (mistakenly thought to be the US Embassy) on Gia Long Street where Hubert van Es took his famous Fall of Saigon photo of US staff clambering up a ladder into a Huey. The ladder – or at least a ladder – up to the top of the lift shaft was still there!

• Gin and Tonic Please says:

+1 for Park Hyatt HCMC. Great hotel!

• Alistair says:

Agree with IanMacK – the Sofitel Metropole is perfect for Hanoi for lots of reasons. In Ho Chi Minh City, the Rex has to be on the list. Yes, the rooftop bar may not be as swank as some of the more modern competition but the combination of the history and the ambience make it well worth the stay.

• The la siesta in Hanoi was excellent

• Thanks all, will check out!

2. OT:
    anyone tried the platinum upgrade link from a gold companion credit card after having already cancelled tne gold charge card?
    It let me apply but wondering if i will get the 20k points?

3. Hey I’m very tempted by the Park Hyatt Mallorca using pay with cash + points. I’ve never stepped foot in a Hyatt though let alone have any experience with their loyalty program. Anyone been to the Mallorca resort yet and have any comments? A quick glance at reviews this morning and it looks a great resort for a relaxing getaway. Also do you get breakfast included on redemption at the Mallorca resort?

• It is a very very good hotel. I was there earlier this month and used Clubcard vouchers via hotels.com and breakfast was included. Cash rate was about £300 a night for early April albeit it was Easter school holidays.
      It’s very spread out but they have buggys, to transport you around, if you don’t want to walk. The rooms are high quality and the breakfast is excellent, as is the service.

• Thywillbedone says:

I just booked the cash + points rate for first week of August (2 adults, 1 x 2 yr old)- I’ve stayed in several Park Hyatts and think the price can only be a bargain for the standard of property/time of year.

• You used to get breakfast at PH Mallorca before the changes to the Hyatt programme but it’s not included anymore unless you’re Globalist. Great breakfast though!

4. John H says:

I’m trying the Europcar one way car rental in the middle of next month for the first time, it seems like a good deal 24hr rental and a generous milage allowance all for £1 just add fuel. way cheaper than HEX and costs getting to paddington also I get to visit family on the way.

5. We did the £1 Europcar a few weeks ago. A Volkswagon polo. Took us two hours to drive it to heathrow. Then in new zealand three days later we got a garbled answer message asking where it was. Two days after that we finally got the email receipt telling us it was an audi. Seemed to me they gave us the wrong car to return. So be prepared for a whopping level of incompetence if you do use that offer.

• Have used the deal many times and never had a problem Wakefield centre to MAN

6. Eli Goldberg says:

Is there any chance of picking up luxury cars in this Europcar deal?

• Definitely a chance, but you get what you’re given. No choice at booking and unlikely to get a choice at pickup.

• I have used this offer 3 times and normally ended up with a Mini or Economy sized car.

7. Waribai says:

Used the Europcar deal last month from Kennington to Heathrow. The rep though tried the hard sell on excess waiver insurance. When I mentioned I had the Amex plat he then insisted it wouldn’t cover tyres or windscreen. Not to worry I told him. Lo and behold, I drove round the corner and low tyre pressure alert came on! I’ve been set up was my first thought but I pumped it up at the garage and it got us to Heathrow fine. A diesel Octavia it took all our luggage and just needed £6 to get the tank back up to full!

• James knox says:

how is the transfer from car drop off to the terminal?

• Waribai says:

Not too bad. There is a transfer bus every 15 mins. We always stay in the Sofitel though so I dropped everyone off first, checked in and then took the car for a refill and dropped it off.

8. George says:

Rob this is great. There is one economic factor you need to add. Breakfast is presumably not included in the points or points/cash rates but is included on all paid rates. There is nowhere near the hotel you can easily go out without driving, so looking at x2 breakfast = E80+ per night. Still cheaper than paying cash but narrows the gap.

• Would be very odd if ALL paid rates got it and only the 2-3 redemption rooms got billed. Hardly worth running a billing system.

• PH Mallorca used to offer free breakfast for all guests (even those on redemptions) but after World of Hyatt was introduced they removed the benefit for anybody on a redemption stay that was not Globalist.

9. Just dropped a £1 car at LHR this morning. Car checked in front of me and invoice issued on the spot. Delivered straight to my inbox in seconds.

Europcar also seem to have changed their approach to damage – anything under 75mm diameter is ignored, which is a good step forward I think, given some of the behaviour I’d seen in the past.

10. ringingup says:

Am I the only one who cannot get the Europcar page to work?

• Lemeng says:

Not working for me either. Maybe too many HFP readers all trying at once?!

• Not working here either, even when it does work normally it’s painfully slow

• It’s very slow. Was taking 2-3 minutes to load up yesterday. Just be patient.

Forgot to add that I got some sporty Renault Clio. All leather seats, racing style in the front. No choice though.

• Lemeng says:

I tried again, and with a little patience found just what I needed for a date late in May. Thanks for the great reminder about this deal, Rob, I will be using it often now I know about it!

11. Bits: if I use my 2 for 1 I know I won’t earn miles but will I still earn tier points towards higher status?