Bits: see Bastille live in London with Hilton, extra BA Holidays discount, 300 free Flying Blue miles

News in brief:

See an exclusive Bastille gig in London with Hilton Honors

Following the success of the One Republic concert at Abbey Road Studios last year, Hilton Honors has arranged another exclusive London gig for its members.

Bastille will be playing at LSO St Luke’s on Old Street on Saturday 9th June at 7pm.

Packages include two tickets and a food and drink reception beforehand.  This package gets you two tickets for 55,000 Hilton Honors points.  If you need somewhere to stay, this package gets you two tickets plus a night at the DoubleTree Islington hotel for 115,000 points.

One Republic was an excellent night – the global head of Hilton Honors had even flown over for the event.  This one will hopefully be as good, and we will try to get along.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Extra discounts on BA Holidays this weekend

British Airways is running a special promotion on all BA Holidays packages until Tuesday 1st May.

You will receive:

Flight + hotel packages:
£100 off a £2500 booking
£50 off a £1250 booking

Flight + car packages:
£100 off a £2500 booking
£50 off a £1250 booking
£25 off a £600 booking

Discounts are automatically applied – there are no promo codes to add.  You can look at the BA Holidays Club World deals here and the BA Holidays Club Europe deals here.

BA Holidays discount code

300 free Flying Blue miles from Opinion Rewards Club

I’m sure this isn’t a new offer but I hadn’t seen if before until a reader flagged it.  Opinion Rewards Club is a ‘points for surveys’ scheme run by the Air France / KLM Flying Blue scheme.

Whilst I know some people love them, I usually find ‘points for surveys’ sites to be a bad deal long term due to the time it takes up.  However … they are usually worth joining for the sign-up bonus.

Opinion Rewards Club offers 300 Flying Blue miles when you sign up and complete your first survey.  You need to be a UK / US / France / German / Netherlands resident to join.  Future surveys earn ‘a minimum of 10 miles’ which – assuming you value those at 10p – is a pretty poor use of your time by any standards …..

How to earn Flying Blue miles via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Air France and KLM do not have a UK Flying Blue credit card.  However, you can earn Flying Blue miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Flying Blue miles.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Flying Club mile.

Your last chance to book Virgin's best value redemption - Air China to Beijing
My review of SAA business class from London to Johannesburg (and back) - Part 2

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Duncan Stevenson-Price says:

OT: Flew BA CityFlyer EDI > LCY in CE on Saturday and was served first in the cabin. Ordered the fish, husband ordered the duck. Next person asked for fish and apparently they had only loaded one!

Last Saturday we chose seats for our flight today LHR > LIS in CE. JUST managed to get two seats together – exit row at the back of the CE cabin. Checked in and seats have been changed and we’ve been split up! Appalling! Hoping one of our companions will be happy to switch seats. I thought maybe they reduced the size of the cabin, but apparently not.

• This seems to be happening more and more, including separating young children from their parents. Quite apart from the fact that you don’t really want your child sitting next to a stranger, an evacuation in the event of an emergency would be severely hampered by parents understandably searching for their children.

• Doug M says:

I thought where there were shortages they were supposed to prioritise status. Not first come first serve.

2. Graham Walsh says:

OT In the Plaza Premium Lounge T5 and it’s nearly full!! Never seen it so busy. No chicken wings though 🙁

3. OT:
    Booked a hotel a couple of months ago using one of my amex cards. I’ve cancelled that amex card a few weeks ago but now I want to cancel the hotel booking and get a refund. However given that the card I used for the booking has also been cancelled, where will the refund credit go?

The full value of the hotel booking is 550quid and I’d like to hold off cancelling the reservation until I know where that 550quid will be going.

Cheers for the help!

• Doug M says:

Back to the original card, regardless of it being closed. You can ask Amex to move it to another card or send you the money.

• Louise says:

I’ve just done this and the credit goes back to your card, Amex will issue a new statement and you can request cheque

• Brilliant. Thanks both! I’l have the credit transferred over to one of my other amex cards.

4. Chris A says:

Has anyone done a transaction such as a refundable hotel booking for the distant to help get to a spending target? I’m considering doing a fairly substantial one to get to my next Amex 241. Whilst it obviously various inconveniences for me, I am keen to check that it is limited to these and is not in some way frowned upon by Amex?

• Someone asked this not too long ago, I think the answer was you keep the voucher after the refund is triggered, but you have to spend £10k plus the value of the refund to get your next voucher.

• Not sure if the refund portion would have to be spent after your anniversary date.

• …. if the bonus is credit in your NEXT card year.

• Chris A says:

Thanks Anna/Rob. Yes it would simply be to hasten the triggering of the voucher- I would likely be using savings to pay off the hotel booking, and do the hotel refund some time after the 241 voucher had been redeemed. My next concern would be at this point, when for a short time at least there would be a substantial negative balance.

• Alex W says:

Of course it’s frowned upon by Amex. This kind of playing the system could ruin it for everyone. If you can’t legitimately spend 10k you shouldn’t expect amex to give you a 241 voucher.

• Memesweeper says:

It’s not just playing the system — if you have no intention of spending 10k I’d say it’s deceitful.

• Chris A says:

As mentioned above, it would be a way of hastening the triggering of the voucher. I will be putting far more than £10k of business spend on the card throughout the year.

5. Stewart says:

On topic query:

My transfer from MR took about 12 hours too long and I missed the boat on these Bastille tickets. However, the site says ‘These presale tickets won’t last for long, so grab yours before prices go up on May 3rd.’ – does anyone know/have any experience as to how much the price will go up on May 3, assuming that they will be offering a second tranche of tickets? I’d like to get my MR transfer done in advance….

Thanks

• Last year One Republic was 60k. I am GUESSING that more tickets at 60k will appear later in the week. This is a genuine guess and I have no info.

• Stewart says:

Thanks Rob – that’s good enough for me (and appreciate your honesty). Will move another 5k MR across to be ready.

• Stewart says:

60k each it was – thanks for the advice Rob, MRs transferred in advance and tickets booked.

6. Matthew says:

I’ve booked tickets. Didn’t go to one republic so really looking forward to this. Perhaps a little HFP gathering is in order?

• There will be 200 people there, I guess, but if you can track us down then please say Hi. I can introduce you to the top Hilton bods too. Lauren who posts all the Hilton stuff on Flyertalk will be there, not sure if Weinstein is coming this time.