Bits: generous Virgin gesture to a reader, earn Marriott and SPG points with Hertz, £25 off SWISS to Geneva

News in brief:

A generous gesture from Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Money

A HFP reader dropped us a note last week to say that she had been the unexpected winner of a competition she never knew existed!

Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Money had quietly decided to give 20,000 Flying Club miles to the first person to make a transaction on the new Virgin Atlantic credit cards.

That person was a HFP reader, who applied on the day that we first wrote about them.

Even better ….. when Virgin Money rang the cardholder to tell them they had won, the conversation turned to what the cardholder did and she explained that she worked for a marine conservation group.  Virgin Money offered to make an additional donation, on the top of the miles, on her behalf to WWF and our reader now has a dolphin sponsored in her name!

Virgin Atlantic credit card

35% off Hertz bookings …. plus earn Marriott or SPG points

Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards have both launched offers for 35% off Hertz bookings.  In addition to the saving you can also earn bonus points.

The SPG offer is:

• Up to 35% off base rate
  • 1,000 Starpoints on rentals of 3+ days

You must enter the SPG discount codes CDP 154080, PC 204373 and your SPG number when booking.

The Marriott Rewards offer is:

• Up to 35% off base rate
  • 2,000 Marriott Rewards points on rentals for 2 – 4 days
  • 5,000 Marriott Rewards points on rentals for 5+ days

The Marriott Rewards promo codes are CDP 154080, PC 169680. The booking site is here.

Both offers expire on 31st July 2018.

Which offer you choose depends on how many days you need the car.

Remeber that 1 SPG point = 3 Marriott Rewards points.

If you need the car for 2 days the Marriott offer will give you 2,000 Marriott Rewards points whilst you won’t earn any points with SPG. If you book for 3 or 4 days the SPG offer will give you 1,000 SPG points which convert into 3,000 Marriott Rewards points but you would only earn 2,000 Marriott points. For anything above 5 days you should use the Marriott Rewards offer.

For any one-day Hertz rentals, our preferred offer is the Virgin Atlantic one, offering you 1,000 Flying Club miles – see here.

£25 off SWISS flights to Geneva

SWISS is offering £25 off flights from London Heathrow or City to Geneva.

You need to book via the SWISS website here and use promo code SWISSUKGVA18.

You must book by 30th June 2018 for travel by 30th July 2018. A minimum fare of £95 is needed for the code to work.

We head to New York to review Virgin's new Economy Delight product
Use your Marriott or SPG status on United Airlines (and vice versa) via RewardsPlus

Comments

1. Delbert says:

OT – but I recently received my new Amex Gold charge card, just days before Amex scrapped it. Can I refer my wife for the Gold charge card? I doubt it but worth asking. Thanks.

• Matt B says:

They charge card doesnt exist for new customers as such; which is what your wife would be. I have the gold charge card, and the referral from that is for the gold credit card now. Essentially, you can still refer her and you’ll still get the 9000 MR but she’ll have credit and you charge 😀

• Delbert says:

Thanks, Matt. Will refer the better half once I’ve hit the spend, which shouldn’t be too far off.

• TGLoyalty says:

Upgrade to platinum first and get 18k for the referral as well as 20k for £1k spend

Link is in 1 of yesterday’s article comments

• Delbert says:

Thanks, TGLoyalty.

• Simon says:

My wife had the free BA card which she closed over six months ago. But as it had a small credit on it which was only refunded to her in March, does anyone know when the six months will be up for a referral for an Amex PRG card?. Thanks.

• Sparkzilla says:

I have tbis situation most times I churn, as the card pro rata fee puts me in credit (plat and spg card) . The first time it happened, I contacted AMEX through web chat (so I could keep a record of the conversation) and the agent confirmed the card was classed as cancelled on the day I requested the cancellation. I applied 6 months and 2 days from the day I cancelled (this was about 5 months from the date my account was at £0) and received the bonus as normal. Best bet, web chat them and ask for the date you cancelled.

• Simon says:

Can’t reply directly below but many thanks Sparkzilla

• Wally1976 says:

You should receive a letter in the post confirming the cancellation date. Sparkzilla is correct though.

• Genghis says:

I try to leave an amount on the card which contras the prorate refund, but I guess this is not always possible.

2. The Hertz offer is another great one to rack up points if you’re spending someone else’s money. If you’re spending your *own* money, remember to shop around/try other well-known discount codes.

An ex-LGW 3 day rental for my dates, mid June, group B car, unlimited miles:

vanilla booking: £113 pay at location, £98 pre-pay online

with this “35% off Hertz bookings” code: £102 pay at location, no pre-pay option. so much for 35% 🙂

CDP 1450721: £91 pay at location, £79 pre-pay online

• Thanks, but CDP 211762 (Amex Plat) seems to reduce it more than the 1450721 code

• Alex W says:

Never had any success crediting company rentals to Hertz. Even with my own rentals it takes weeks or months to get any points to post.

• April says:

Tried to use this and the price for a 3 day rental ay LHR mysteriously jumped by £50 after pressing the book now button. Just as well cancellation is free!

3. There is also 3000 IHG pts with Hertz, might be ok for 1 day rental

4. rams1981 says:

OT Harrods gift card does trigger the £30 off. Well I received an email so assume it will follow through.

• Is this instore or via the website? Website orders definitely work, instore was a mess for me last time.

• rams1981 says:

Instore in Apple department

• worked for me in store too. Only got it on 2 cards this time. A couple years ago, I got it across 8 cards and splashed out on a Bugaboo set (£240 saving)!

• JamesB says:

I had been hoping for such confirmation for a few days as I was planing on £90 off an ipad. Didn’t want to risk it myself and lefh London today 15 minutes before your comnent lol. At least I can fall back on 3000+ HR points, hopefully with a 100% bonus at some stage.

5. Optimus Prime says:

OT – have just seen on Michele’s blog that Malaysia Airlines have pretty good fares for 2 people ex-London to Australia, Singapore and few more places.

• Wouldn’t call £2,200 pretty good, to be honest, in the context of what else is around – albeit the Avios / tier points makes an impact here. You’re paying £700 more than you’d expect to pay Qatar, albeit you need to knock off positioning costs, for an inferior product.

• Optimus Prime says:

I know… but the ex-EU positioning plus the overnight stopover in Qatar puts me off so much that don’t think I’ll ever try their product.

• I agree that you can get much better deals ex EU but you are not comparing like with like. I totally understand not wanting to do positioning flights having just done AKL from Stockholm -doing the journey in one go on the way back nearly finished me off!! I did a QR to Vietnam from LHR recently and yes I could have got it a bit cheaper going ex EU but it was lovely not to have the hassle for once and it was still reasonable at about £1575.
        If you get the A350/A330 with new seats I think Malaysian is a good business class product. I have always had good food and service plus there is the new lounge in KUL too.

6. When cancelling amex platinum, do I need to transfer the MR points out first or do I have a period of time to do that after cancelling?

7. Tracy says:

O/T after a little bit of advice for my first 241 ba booking. I will be trying to book gla/edi out to Lima with return from cancun on a 241. I vaguely remember reading once upon a time that it can cost more avios for an off peak reward fare than a peak reward or am I imagining this? I want to begin travel sometime from end of june to mid july and stay for 2 weeks. Is it better avios wise to book my outbound for june /first week in july or wait until peak time in july? My return will be peak july anyway. Anyone have any idea how many avios & how much taxes should be with this itinerary?

• Have you checked that BA metal goes to Lima? If it’s an Iberia codeshare you won’t be able to use the 2 4 1.

• David says:

If you’re not sensitive to EDI or GLA, then why not look at INV as an option too – the savings on Air Passenger Duty can be significant (£300+ for the two of you). You can always do an open jaw from INV but back to your local airport, if you don’t want to drive the A9 on the way home.

• JamesB says:

Peak is only cheaper than off peak when you upgrade a WTP cash ticket to CW using avios. This is not relevant to your 241 plans. Flights to Lima are from LGW therefore were you to depart from INV you would need to overnught in London or airport and transfer from LHR to LGW. Despite the hassle you would stilk save on the APD as transit would be under 24h.

• Tracy says:

Thanks for info, couldn’t remember what I had read re. peak & off peak lol. Will give inverness some thought.

8. wally1976 says:

OT – Lloyds Avios credit cards – does anyone know when the year starts for spending the £7k for the upgrade voucher? I applied for the card on 31/3/17, my 12 month interest free period expired on 31/3/18 and my annual fee was applied on 25/4/18 which was my last statement date. So when does the year start for spending the £7k? Thanks.

• It’s on the card anniversary date – they will tell you what this is if you don’t know exactly, there is not much info on the statements.

9. Peter K says:

OT. It was being discussed yesterday about cancelling the IHG premium card after getting the free night and getting the 2nd year fee refunded. I’m planning on doing that next month and wondered how much hassle it is to get the fee back or if possible to cancel after the free night hits but the free hasn’t.
    I’ll stop spending on it to avoid that being an issue.

• No hassle at all – I did this last week. Free night appeared on my IHG account within a week of the card anniversary. Then a quick call with no holding to Creation. They then refunded the card fee back to my account and sent me a letter confirming account closure.

• A word of warning re: IHG card “anniversary date”. I asked and was given a specific date (which did not seem to correspond to the annual statement date),. After that I increased my spend via Curve assuming it would count toward the new year’s spend.
        But I discovered the spending was still clocking up to the previous year, *several weeks later*. Meaning I would have to spend even more in Y2 to hit £10k target.
        When I queried it, they launched an “official complaint” process, and I am still waiting for an official response!

10. xcalx says:

OT Amex gold spend on sup card last Thursday showing on spend but no points added do the points usually take this long to show.
    Want to get spend done and upgrade Nana xcalx to plat in case of any changes.

Thanks.

• Peter K says:

Or seems to have been very slow the past week, or rather nothing happened. Today points I expected last week and spend towards my platinum target posted….in two lots as the day progressed!
      I think there must have been a blip in the Amex system.

• ankomonkey says:

Same for me on SPG card. No points for a week, then a barrage today.

11. Out of interest did this reader who won the 20000 miles have the free or paid card?

12. BrotherBear says:

OT – I’d booked 2 economy Avios return tickets from London to Bilbao last year for the late May bank holiday weekend coming up in just under a fortnight and was planning to go to San Sebastian with the missus but now I have a friend’s stag do in Valencia instead and so I will be cancelling the flights to get my Avios refunded.

Not 100% they will be available to book as reward redemptions once I cancel but in 2 for 1 experience they do become available again.

If anyone fancies the flights, I can cancel at a time to allow someone to book if they become available again – let me know and we can arrange.

13. OT – just marvelling at efficiency. We have some building work to pay for so I worked out the best option miles-wise was to apply for a 2nd BAPP as we’re nearly at the £10k mark on the OH’s. Applied last Friday and the card has arrived today – is this a record?!

• Peter K says:

I think same thing happened for my wife referring from Plat to SPG last Friday. Arrived today.

• Genghis says:

Do your builders take Amex or have you decided to use Billhop despite the fees?

• xcalx says:

I accept Amex through Payatrader.

• Decided to go through Billhop. The referral plus sign up bonus plus spend avios I’ll get for the whole thing, plus the push towards another 2 4 1 will outweigh the fee.

• I applied for my Platinum Card (Upgrade) on Sunday and it arrived Tuesday. Thought that was pretty impressive

14. Chris says:

Rob, I can’t seem to get the Swiss voucher to work. Was this communicated to you by them? The return flight I want totals £105 so should qualify – unless the minimum of £95 is post discount or excluding taxes? Cheers

15. Farah says:

Re the Swiss Air offer. I too tried the code for a one way ticket that cost £111 from LHR to Geneva and it didn’t work. Called up customer service and they said they are not aware of the promo/voucher code.

• Chris says:

They gave me an email address for ‘Voucher Support’ promising a reply within 24 hours, it’s been almost a week now. And of course the flights have now increased by the same value as the voucher. Rob, if you have any contacts there, please tell them to stop being so useless! 🙂