Qatar Airways launches Gatwick flights alongside a week long ‘book early’ sale

Qatar Airways has landed in Gatwick. On Tuesday the inaugural flight from Doha to London Gatwick was welcomed with a celebratory water arch. The new twice daily service will be operated by a Boeing 787 and increases to 16 flights per week service over the Summer season.

Qatar Airways Group Chief Executive, His Excellency Mr. Akbar Al Baker, said about the new route:

“Qatar Airways is delighted to be expanding its reach in both London and throughout the U.K. Earlier this month, we launched direct flights to Cardiff, the capital of Wales, clearly demonstrating our continued commitment to this market. We are very proud of our strong and extensive trade ties with the U.K. and look forward to offering our loyal passengers the chance to explore the newest and most exciting destinations within our global network.”

Qatar gatwick water arch

Early Bird promotion

Qatar Airways has also launched an Early Bird promotion for travel later this year.

Book by 29th May for travel between 15th August 2018 and 31st March 2019 to get fares from £391 (Delhi) in Economy.

The travel period for flights departing London is slightly more restricted, running from 1st September 2018 until 31st March 2019.

There’s a blackout period between 13th December 2018 and 13st January 2019 inclusive.

The booking page and T&Cs are here.

Your best option to maximise your miles when paying is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold.  This offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.  Our review of Amex Gold is here.

REMINDER: Get 3,000 Avios or other airline miles with a Heathrow Rewards sign-up bonus
British Airways announces Winter flight frequency changes

AMEX Gold 20,000 bonus points

Comments

1. Dougie Forde says:

OT I have just booked the outbound leg on a 2 for 1. Would I be correct in thinking that to add the return leg I now have to ring at 06:00 or can I get round it by ringing an overseas office?

2. the real harry1 says:

O/T just checking for lounge pass deals and looks like the Standard Priority Pass (10 free lounge passes cardholder only & membership giving further visits/ guests @ £15) is still available for £119.

3. Andrew says:

OT as bits: I just booked a London to Madrid return using Iberia, economy outbound on the A340 and business inbound on the Iberia Express to LGW. Two questions: 1) as BAEC silver do I need to do anything to use the lounge on the outbound given it was booked using my Iberia FF number? 2) given the return is to LGW I don’t believe it qualifies for the 50% Avios discount promo, but I just had a sickening thought that this may mean the outbound also no longer qualifies – anyone any idea? Thanks in advance!

• Alex W says:

1) when you turn up at the lounge you may have to show your silver BAEC card. They may put your BAEC FF on the ticket. If you need it changed back to IB again they might be able to do it at the gate.

• Andrew says:

Thanks a lot. Guessing the app will do it?
        Bizarrely, the outbound is operated by Iberia and shows an IB flight number on my booking receipt, but is apparently a BA codeshare. So confused…

4. OT – Just got a refreshed HSBC Prem Credit card (the free one) and it has a LoungeKey logo on the back. Seems to mean I can use it at LoungeKey lounges for £15 a pop.

Are there lounges that don’t accept PP but accept LoungeKey?

5. Last year did a BA flight around 13.15 Dubai to LHR. Looking to book again for 9/10 or 11 May 2019. Can’t find any flight after 9.20am. Does anyone know if this flight went with the recent changes?
    Thanks

• One of the three daily flights is seasonal so doesn’t run all year.

6. If I book a room on Hilton website for my parents (ie I will not be one of the guests), will they receive my Gold benefits and I receive the points? Thanks.

• Alex W says:

Slightly risky. Make sure one of their names is down as “additional guest” otherwise they might not be able to check in. You could ring ahead, say you’re running late and your additional guest will arrive first. I suggest only one of them presents at check-in, in case they think 3 people are trying to use a 2 person room.

• Peter K says:

It depends on the hotel. I’ve rung a couple of them in advance and they’ve said yes it’s fine. There’s no harm in ringing anonymously to ask the front desk.

7. ChrisC says:

O/T but is anyone else having issue with BA and booking rewards?

I select route / date cabin etc. Then say NO stopovers

The website then goes very slow and then throws an error saying I haven’t chosen any stop overs!

So I try a different tack and chose a route with stop overs and guess what – it says I haven’t selected any!

Been like this for over 24 hours and probably longer given a couple of posts on flyer talk.

Yes I guess I could phone but I want to check out multiple dates which a phone agent probably won’t like.

BA website is an embarrassment and not fit for purpose.