BA Sale

Bits: 40% off Accor Super Sale, Tesco Bank says Revolut is a cash advance, Charles Tyrwhitt discount, win 35000 Avios

News in brief:

Accor Super Sale – up to 40% off and free breakfast

Accor has launched its latest Accor Super Sale, featuring discounts at 2,700 Novotel, Sofitel, Ibis, Mercure, M Gallery etc hotels worldwide

Currently the sale rates are only available to Le Club AccorHotels members.

From next week non members can also take advantage of cheaper room rates and free breakfast. However I’d recommend non members to just sign up for Le Club anyway …. you can read more about Le Club AccorHotels here.

Until 1st June you can save up to 30% on most Accor brands and will get free breakfast.

LeClub AccorHotels members can get up to 10% additionally off the sale rate.

The offer is valid for stays between 6th July 2018 and 2nd September 2018.  The ultra low-budget (below ibis Budget in the Accor quality order) Formule 1 properties are excluded.

The Super Sale booking page is here.

Accor Super Sale

Tesco Bank starts to treat pre-paid cards (but not Curve) as a cash advance – with a 4% fee

Since the law changed in January to ban credit card acceptance fees, there has been a interesting miles earning niche available.

Some of the pre-loaded travel money cards, such as Revolut (we reviewed Revolut here, our special offer saves you the £5 fee), have been treated by some credit card companies as a purchase.  This means that you earn miles or points when you load up your Revolut, Monzo etc debit card.  There is no list of which credit cards treat Revolut etc as a cash advance and which treat it as a purchase – you need to try out the various cards you own.

Tesco Bank has now decided to take action.

From 1st June, Tesco credit cards will increase their cash advance fee from 3.0% to 3.99%.  More importantly, it will now treat payments to prepaid or virtual cards, such as Revolut, as a cash advance.

For clarity, this does not impact Curve.  If you have linked Curve to your Tesco credit card you may have received this letter.  This is because, for two days earlier this year, Curve transactions were incorrectly coded by Mastercard.  If you used Curve during those two days then Tesco thinks – incorrectly – you were loading a prepaid card.

Tesco also has other targets in its sight.  Wire or international money transfers, repayments of loans or mortgages, purchases of foreign currency except in Tesco stores, investments, share trading and spread betting payments will be treated as cash advances.  (I seriously doubt that any mortgage lender was actually accepting a Tesco credit card as payment, but who knows?!)

I get a feeling that, by the end of the year, it will no longer be possible to use any UK credit for a fee-free top-up of a prepaid debit card.

Charles Tyrwhitt Avios

Charles Tyrwhitt / Avios discount

Shirt maker Charles Tyrwhitt is offering a 11% discount on all purchases until 28th May using code UKCTN11. There is no minimum spend.

This offer is available in-store and online.  The Charles Tyrwhitt Exclusive Collection is excluded from this offer.

Tyrwhitt is an Avios partner and you will earn 4 Avios per £1 spent via their website. You can also claim Avios if purchasing in-store if you give them your number at the till.

The Charles Tyrwhitt home page is here. It is also worth checking out their clearance offers which are here.

Finally …. win 35,000 Avios on Head for Points on Tuesday!

If you are disappearing for the Bank Holiday, please remember to read Head for Points on Tuesday.  We are launching an exclusive competition with insurance broker – and Avios partner – Alan Boswell Group to win 35,000 Avios!

You can earn up to 10,000 Avios when you take out household, business or landlord insurance via Alan Boswell Group.  Full details can be found on this page of their website.

Why you should NEVER book Avios flights on Iberia via ba.com
Heading to Gatwick this weekend? Good MyGatwick deals including free Regus lounge access

BA Sale

Comments

1. OT – at MAN T3. The Escape Lounge is full (again), the World Duty Free shop seems to have reinvented itself as an Ibiza nightclub and our long awaited ***direct*** flight to Nice is delayed, presumably because it’s already had to go to Malaga and Mallorca or similar already today. Only consolation is that we are on RFS and cash price would have been £1700 for 4 of us this week!

• the real harry1 says:

I can beat that, just checked & 4 of us in economy would have been £3222 at today’s price 🙂

• Ok you win! Though I can’t check today’s price as the flight is full. I am really annoyed about the lounge, it was only about a third full. The receptionist was very smiley and welcoming when we arrived but as soon as I got out our PP cards she suddenly decided they were fully booked and couldn’t accommodate us, even though we just wanted some breakfast and would have been happy to leave if the place subsequently filled up.

• the real harry1 says:

A bit worried myself as I said we’d have to leave about 12 so they let us in, not planning to go for another 40 mins 🙂

only about 75% full so should be OK

• They tried that with me (and my kid) once, I stood my ground and refused to leave (as there was plenty of space). We got in.

• Darren says:

Are you heading to the G Prix?

2. David says:

OT – how long are people waiting for referral bonus MR points these days on a Platinum. For some reason I thought a Tuesday approval would have posted by now? The cards have come through (yesterday).

• the real harry1 says:

I guess the recent 2 were 3-4 days after application – after approval presumably take off a day

• roberto says:

Applied for Stawoods from a Plat referral on Tuesday and the 18000MR turned up today (Saturday)

3. Marseille ATC strikes again this weekend so expect knock-on delays for out/inbound flights flying over southeast France & Spain

4. James says:

Since Monzo became a bank I don’t think you can top up using credit cards? Or am I missing a trick?

• Memesweeper says:

If there’s a way to top up Monzo other than a bank transfer I’ve not found it!

5. Rob MC says:

OT – IHG free night voucher, will i get an email when it arrives, or will it be obvious that it is in my IHG account? TIA

6. More like “may” get free breakfast: “Breakfast may be included in some hotels”

I’m seeing it included at some Novotel but not Mercure

• Daisy says:

I’m looking at the Pullman in Miami and no free breakfast there either.

7. Edward Noel says:

Does anyone know how credit card transfers to Starling are treated? That’s if you can make them! Thanks.

• Edward Noel says:

Sorry, I mean credit card payments, really.

• I believe it is debit card only, because it is a ‘proper’ current account (in the same that you can’t pay into a HSBC current account with a credit card).

8. Random question I appreciate And maybe it’s the sub but ….

On the Amex refer a friend, can you refer yourself to another card, so long as it’s not the same family? …say amex plat to amex SPG???

9. Andrew says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if card companies started applying such fees to curve either with the excuse that a curve transaction could be a cash withdrawal. If you think about it credit cards have absolutely no reason to play nice with curve but very good reasons to make their life as difficult as possible.

• Memesweeper says:

Amex already have pulled out on allowing Curve top ups. I guess others may follow. But for Visa/MC based card issuers they get the fees if you use Curve regardless, and loose a potential section 75 liability. Win win!

• Guesswho2000 says:

You don’t ‘topup’ with curve, it recharges transactions directly to the card. And Amex pulled out about two years ago, mostly due to teething problems and Amex having to deal with complaints due to double charging, etc. (From myself included) creating a customer service headache.

I see little reason for others to treat Curve as cash, as Curve themselves have T&Cs against cash recycling and the majority of transactions are therefore purchases, but you never know. As you rightly state, it’s a win for the card co., as they get the normal transaction fees, and have no S75 liability.

10. Andrew says:

If other car issuers start including “loan repayments” it’ll be a bit disappointing.

It’s quite a handy little points or cash option on my Audi Finance. They allow users to log-in and make their monthly repayment instead of the DD being taken.

11. David says:

For the Accors Super Sale, is it me or is the website’s calendar can only go up to 2nd September, which for Asia Pacific properties, it should go beyond that… up to June 2019? Anyone has any luck to book beyond September on this promotion?