Bits: last day to buy Hilton points with a bonus, 1p Avios Groupon deal update, Curve / Tesco credit card problem

News in brief:

Last day to buy Hilton Honors points with a bonus

TODAY (Thursday) is the last day to get a 100% bonus when you purchase 5,000+ Hilton Honors points.  This is the highest bonus we have seen for quite a while.

The Hilton ‘buy points’ page is here.

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that I tend to value Hilton points at 0.3p each.  You are paying 0.35p here (the maximum is $800 / £570 for 160,000 – although some people have been offered a higher annual cap) so it isn’t a slam dunk.

Five star Hilton, Conrad and Waldorf-Astoria hotels typically run to 80,000 points per night.  In this sale you would be paying $400 for 80,000 points.  You will rarely find a cash room higher than that but it does happen.

However, Hilton Honors IS a decent deal at cheaper point levels.   To dig out my ‘usual suspect’ examples, the Hampton by Hilton in Sheffield, for example, is 10,000 points per night on most nights.  At 0.35p per point you would be paying roughly £35 per night if you bought the points.  That is a 65% discount on the typical nightly rate of £100.  Hampton properties include free breakfast as well.

If you just buying a handful of points to top off your account, the price per point doesn’t matter anyway.  If you are a few thousand short of a redemption then this is a decent opportunity to buy them.

Avios / Groupon Ireland deal update

If you were thinking of picking up some cheap Avios (around 1p) via the new Groupon Ireland offer, note that the cheapest package (2,000 Avios for roughly 0.7p each) sold out on Tuesday.

The remaining five packages are still available and you can buy up to 82,000 points at an average of 1.0p.

If you are having issues creating an Aer Club account, a comment below suggests a) not putting a space between the two parts of your postcode and b) under the mobile box, putting just two digits in the first box and the rest in the second one.  It seems to help!

My original article on the deal is here.  The relevant Groupon Ireland page is here.

Curve and Tesco Bank

Curve hits a problem with Tesco Bank credit cards

If you are using a Curve Card to earn points from your UK cash withdrawals and to reduce your FX charges when travelling (see here for more on Curve) you should be aware of an issue with Tesco Bank credit cards.

From 1st June, transactions recharged by Curve to a Tesco Bank credit card are being treated as cash withdrawals.  This means that cash advance fees of 3.99% are being added to every purchase.

Curve believes that this is an error due to the way that Tesco Bank interprets the category code used on Curve transactions.  It will hopefully get sorted soon, but in the meantime you should link your Curve Card to a non-Tesco Bank credit card.

Virgin Flying Club launches new redemption seat sale on selected Economy routes
Hilton has launched its Summer Sale for weekend stays

Comments

1. Mikeact says:

I’ll try my TBS credit card with Curve later today, for my monthly £200 cash withdrawal, and report back. (ps And TSB would never be my bank account in a million years.)

2. Ralph says:

I hope Curve can sort this out. I did a small overseas transaction yesterday without any problem. I made quite a few HMRC payments last month ahead of Tesco’s changes as, although I couldn’t see in the T&Cs any basis for catching Curve transactions, I feared the worst. If it isn’t resolved, eventually all the other underlying recharge card companies will kill Curve. Without Amex and now potentially other miles earning cards there won’t really be a lot of use for Curve.

3. OT:
    Is there likely to be a Qatar (or any LH business class) sale soon? Been holding off buying flights in hope….

• Not sure what is happening with Qatar. They have huge overcapacity due to the blockade (how full do you think the Gatwick flights are given they only had 2 months to sell tickets?) but have cut back on price promotions. The number of redemption seats has also dropped.

• Hey Rob,
        Do you know why Qatar have only loaded Gatwick flights until mid October? Looking to fly from LGW to AKL in November. Currently it is giving the option of a National Express transfer to LHR!

• Thanks Rob,
        Decisions decisions decisions….so far I have 3 options almost identical price wise, all ex-EU: BA from AMS, Qatar from Pisa or Ethiopian from Dublin…..

4. Nigel says:

Can anyonr tell me how many HH Points are needed for 1 night at the Hampton LGW?
    I cant find the points price anywhere, it may be because I don’t actually have any. Wondering if it’s cheaper to pay for the room or buy the points with the bonus.

• Craig says:

It was 30k lasts time I booked. Rates for September are ludicrously high.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I tried a number of dates and kept getting
      30,000

• palcsaky says:

If you search without being logged into your HH account it will show the number of points required.

• It is no more than 30k for a standard redemption – I priced it up myself the other day.

• Surprisingly the Hilton is frequently cheaper than the Hampton, though no breakfast for Silver and lower. Haven’t stayed in the Hampton since gaining Diamond.

5. Joseph Heenan says:

OT: How long does it normally take the amex gold 10,000 points for spending £15,000 to post? Card anniversary was 22nd May and they’ve not shown up yet. (The T&C’s say it may take up to 60 days, but I’m presuming it’s usually faster than that.)

6. Re Curve/Tesco card issue – I made a few transactions that have been treated as cash transactions, and I have been charged a fee. I never pay any interest on my credit cards as I pay them all off.

I have spoken with Tesco, and they dont seem to be reverting the charges – I hope Curve will do something about it, as the only reason for using curve was for efficiency etc. Still waiting on Curve customer service to come back with a concrete answer.

• Holly says:

Tesco Bank. TSB. Santander. RBS. Halifax. Lloyds. Barclays. Competitive, collusive, or just inherently shite? Time to properly regulate the lot of them and let the weaker ones fail. Failing to adequately regulate the playing field of capitalism will let Corbyn through the door in several years time. I would say at least I’ll be able to use my Avios points to escape the country But they will probably be devalued by such a large percentage that I’ll probably vote for Corbyn and swim to Bermuda.

• Same here. When I called Tesco Bank, they told me Curve was a virtual card and therefore subject to the 3.99% surcharge. I wonder whether the option of going back in history and changing the transaction to a different card would cancel the surcharge?

• Mr Dee says:

It better had cancel the surcharge if it is refunded.

• Lady London says:

Why not just dump the card?
        Tesco has unwound too much over past few months – certainly the little that made them worth stretching a point to spend with.

• the real harry1 says:

About the only things that keep me going are the clubcard points glitches (Direct soon be gone), use in Lidl (soon be gone if Amex get in same as Aldi), the Purchases credit card, the Xmas Saver steal. No pet insurance these days! Car insurance still competitive but you don’t need a credit card for that.

I will see if I can get the Xmas Saver deal/ steal to work out of normal stores this autumn, otherwise maybe dump. I wouldn’t shop in Tesco otherwise, they lost their way a few years ago and the food range is right yucky.

• Genghis says:

Keep the Xmas saver steal trick on the DL closer to the time…

7. mednec says:

I am about to hit the 50k in a year limit on the curve card; does anyone know if this limit can be increased?

• KevMc says:

I’ve seen it mentioned that this is a Mastercard imposed annual limit, and have not seen or heard of anyone who has managed to get a limit higher than £50k…but I would love to know if anyone has been able to…

• Genghis says:

A regular poster has a limit many times this.

• lev441 says:

Good to know… Sounds like I need to get back on to customer services…

• Interesting – I asked and was told that was the hard limit, but they were working with Mastercard to increase it.

• New Card says:

On the prepaid – yes.
          I’d be surprised if they got more than £50k on one card on the debit version.

• I thought that was only on the old prepaid cards, not the debit one?

• Andrew25 says:

Curve has a £50,000 yearly limit.

• I think it is a Mastercard imposed limit.

• Lev441 says:

Any idea why the £50k limit is so low? I will also soon be getting to the limit – surely as a card that was originally marketed for businesses this seems quite low!

• Lady London says:

Probably that’s all Mastercard will cover them for.

8. OT – I’m trying to order a supplementary card for my Amex gold. Every time I click on “Add someone to your Account” it triggers the form for an additional BA card instead.. (I have both under the same account). Any ideas?

• Mark2 says:

I have had that problem before.
      I solved it by splitting them into two separate online accounts.

• Thks. How would I do that? Remove a card completely and just register again w/ a new email address? I kinda like having all cards under the same account. Maybe I should call them.

• Dougie Forde says:

You have to call them up, can’t add a supplementary online to the Gold Credit Card as yet

• Clive says:

I had a Glitch when adding a Supp to my Gold it moved it to SPG. Called and explained the problem CS manually added the Supp and noted the account to manually trigger the 3K and add after 10 days from activation.

9. OT: Discovery Every 36th Booking Is On Us promo
    Am I missing something in the terms or can I simply make 3 refundable bookings and cancel them if I don’t win a freebie?
    Surely that’s what everyone will do?
    Right?

10. OT. If I have the Amex Plat and add Mrs Ben as a supp does that mean she can use my lounge card while she is on her own?

• Peter K says:

If she is the first supplementary card holder then her card will also be platinum. She will then get her own priority pass for lounge access. Only you can use yours (+1 guest of course with you).

• she should have her own priority pass card as a supplement amex plat holder

• She will get her own PP card to use

• No. She will get her own Priority Pass card as a supplementary platinum card holder on your account

• Mark2 says:

if it is a Platinum sup she will have her own lounge card.

• No, but she will get her own Priority Pass.

• Lady London says:

So…. err… is that enough confirmation for you ? 🙂 what a great place HfP is.

6 confirmations in well under 2 hours.

• Haha. I have only just got back online and seen all the replies! Thanks guys.

Slight hiccup as mrs Ben is out the country at the moment, returning on Monday. Was hoping to add her as supp so she can use it at the airport on Monday. Never mind I’ll just add her for her next solo trip.

Thanks again

11. Off Topic…
    I was booked on BA233 from LHR – DME (Moscow) on 30th December in First Class as a redemption booking. I’ve been emailed by BA this morning to inform me “Your seats have been changed”. I’m now marked as being in the same seat but it says Club World not First..

So I’m guessing they’ve changed planes? But it won’t even let me view a new seat map. How do I find out what plane is now flying this route? There’s no mention in the email from BA about what happens with the Avios I paid for the First class booking..

• Genghis says:

Look on expedia. BA233 now a 321 so no F. Call up BA.

• Oh that’s horrible, thanks for the info. I’ll call them

• Lady London says:

You might want to see if they are offering compensation first. A la the switch to Qatar planes that is getting some interesting offers on here in past day or so.

• Lady London says:

Er…. or maybe British Airways has just downgraded you. I’ve had an airline try to tell me the flight I had booked a reward seat on was cancelled when the local sports team had just progressed further in a major championship. The flight was still flying and had loads of seats, but the airline thought they could offload me and sell my seat for more.

12. Adam Smith says:

Rob – I used my Curve to pay my Amex balance and charged it to my Tesco card. Will this incur a fee, or is it only cash and overseas transactions? Thanks

• Are you saying you did or are looking to do it? I tried this before and it didn’t work.

Any transaction is attracting the fee when the underlying card is a Tesco credit card currently.

• Adam Smith says:

Mine worked, but is listed as pending on the Tesco app

• Geoff says:

They always go pending for a day or 2. You will probably be hit with the ‘cash’ fee as all Curve / Tesco transactions seem to be currently.

• Andrew25 says:

You guys need to be careful because using Curve to pay off other credit card debt is a big no no and they could cancel your account for abusing the Curve T&C’s

• Looks like it will incur the fee, yes.

13. Jovanna says:

Very OT: My husband wants a pair of ‘classic’ Tod’s for his birthday later in the month, ‘to wear down the pub’.

I’ve no idea what he means by classic. Any ideas?

• I would assume he means the standard driving shoe with the pebble sole, eg http://www.selfridges.com/GB/en/cat/tods-gommino-leather-driving-shoes_5105-10004-1082333109/?previewAttribute=Tan although they come in every colour under the sun if you go for nubuck.

I assume this is a leafy country pub or somewhere in West London because there are many parts of the UK where wearing a pair of, say, green nubuck Tod’s driving shoes to the pub would not be a good move …..!

• Alex W says:

330 quid! That’s obscene. Who is he hoping to impress at this pub? Lewis Hamilton?

• That is going rate for designer ‘everyday wear’ shoes if you pop into the Harrods shoe department. To be fair you’ll arguably get better value out of £300 designer shoes than a £300 designer shirt.

Worth noting that Tod’s revenue was €963m last year. Far more people spend £300 on shoes than you think.

• Lumma says:

Not to mention that they’re absolutely awful shoes

• I have a pair of nubuck ones that I wear on the beach, and which I’ve had for about 10 years. They are kind of compulsory in Caribbean or 5-star Middle Eastern resorts, along with a linen shirt and some Orlebar Brown bulldog shorts. I wouldn’t actually wear them around London, and the ‘pebbled’ sole means that they feel a bit odd anyway (although flat soled versions are available). The pebbled sole leaves a nice pattern in the sand too 🙂

• Lady London says:

Classic. I love it.
          Btw I love those shoes. They are not worth £330 but they do last.

There used to be some very good imitations available in Italy. But Tod’s is very very efficient as suing anybody that offers their classic nubbed rubber pebbled sole and threatening to close them down. A company I bought a lot of them off complied.

• Jovanna says:

Thanks, Rob!

• This site is going downhill.

• Happy to help if you’ve got any fashion queries Evan 🙂 Anything for a 35+ metrosexual should be within my remit ….

14. NotALaunderer says:

Slightly OT
    I need to withdraw around €20,000 in cash in Spain, a load of vendors want paying cash in hand for an event im organising. I am going to be in Spain for 4 days, any idea on good methodology of doing this?

• Alex W says:

Report them to the Spanish tax authorities?

• I bet they do! I can’t see how it would be practical to do this via ATM withdrawals, so unless you can arrange for your bank to send the money to a bank in Spain where they would let you withdraw it in cash, you might have to take a sizeable chunk with you, which might also attract attention when it goes through the scanners, and you need to declare anything above 10k euros.

• Lady London says:

I believe Spanish banks do offer a sort of escrow for this.
      But of course your vendors want cash.
      What a risk.
      I’m really not sure I would pay out that much in advance, in cash. Fine to pay in cash at the point services are delivered.

I think H M Customs wants to know if anyone is carrying more than 10000 euros on them in or out of the UK, no?

15. Craig says:

OT: Mrs S about to sign up for an Amex MR card, what’s the most lucrative bonus route assuming no upgrade path from Gold Credit to Plat Charge?