Bits: LAST CALL for Avios / Groupon 1p deal, new Gatwick North lounge open, 100% IHG ‘buy points’ bonus

News in brief:

LAST CALL for Avios / Groupon Ireland deal

If you were thinking of picking up some cheap Avios (around 1p) via the new Groupon Ireland offer, the website is now saying that the deal ends tomorrow, 14th June.  It isn’t clear when on the 14th.

There are five packages still available and you can buy up to 82,000 points at an average of 1.0p.  These individual packages (you can buy one of each) are priced at:

4,000 Avios = €59 (£51.91) – 15% with HELLO15 = 1.10p

8,000 Avios = €99 (£87.10) – 15% with HELLO15 = 0.93p

15,000 Avios = €189 (£166.28) – €20 with HELLO15 = 0.99p

20,000 Avios = €249 (£219.12) – €20 with HELLO15 = 1.00p

35,000 Avios = €439 (£386.32) – €20 with HELLO15 = 1.05p

HELLO15 is a discount code which is valid if you are using a new Groupon account.

My original article on the deal is here.  The relevant Groupon Ireland page is here.

Club Aspire lounge now open in Gatwick North

The Aspire Lounge in Gatwick’s North (easyJet) terminal has now reopened following a refurbishment.  It is now a Club Aspire lounge.

For those who care about the business side of things, ownership is now split between Swissport (which owns the Aspire brand) and Collinson Latitude, which owns Priority Pass and is moving into direct lounge ownership.

The good news is that free prosecco is being served for the first two months!

We will be reviewing the lounge in a couple of weeks, so keep an eye out for that.

Access is via Priority Pass (free with Amex Platinum or buy one here), Lounge Club (two free passes with the free Amex Gold) or Mastercard World Elite’s LoungeKey.  You can also pre-book entry via the Aspire website here for £24.99.  Walk-up entry is £28.

100% IHG Rewards Club ‘buy points’ bonus – three days only

IHG Rewards Club – the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc scheme – has brought back its ‘100% buy points bonus’ promotion.  It is as generous an offer as you will ever see for IHG points.

The page to buy points is here.  The deal runs until midnight New York-time on the 15th June.

Remember that IHG has also reduced the standard cost of its points recently – it used to be $12.50 per 1000 between 11,000 – 25,000 points (now $11.50) and $11.50 per 1000 between 26,000 and 100,000 (now $10).  Here are the standard purchase rates which do NOT include the bonus.

• 1,000 – 10,000 points for $13.50 per 1,000 points
  • 11,000 – 25,000 points for $11.50 per 1,000 points
  • 26,000 – 100,000 points for $10 per 1,000 points

You receive a 100% bonus with any order of 5,000 points or more.  With a 100% bonus, you would be able to buy 200,000 IHG points for (at current exchange rates) £748.  This assumes your credit card has 0% FX fees.

Here are a few examples of how this deal may work.

At the top end of the IHG Rewards Club portfolio, you have InterContinental properties which top out at 60,000 – 70,000 points per night. That’s what you would pay for InterContinental Le Grand in Paris or the InterContinental Amstel in Amsterdam.

With a 100% bonus, IHG is effectively selling you a night at a 60,000 point property for £224 all-in.  A 70,000 point hotel would be £262.  At the bottom end, the points for a 5,000 point PointBreaks night – not that there are many of those – would cost just £18.

The reduction in the price of points has offset the devaluation of some top IHG properties into the 60,000 and 70,000 points categories.  The fall in the value of the £ does make this deal worse than it would have been two years ago – although if you are redeeming for hotels in the USA or a ‘pegged’ country like the UAE it nets off.

The maximum number of points you can buy per year is 200,000 (ie 100,000 plus the 100,000 bonus).

You can buy via this link.

Virgin Atlantic A330-200's unveiled - using old Air Berlin aircraft
What is the best replacement for the UK Emirates Skywards credit card?

Comments

1. Dougie Forde says:

OT About a week and a half ago I added by telephone the second leg of a 2 for 1 flight with BA. The flight is appearing on my account but no Avios have so far been deducted and no payment for taxes and charges has appeared on the credit card. Is this normal? How long should I wait. Concerned that the flight may disappear!

• Dougie Forde says:

Also noticed there is no ticket number allocated for the return flight but there is one for the outgoing flight

• Genghis says:

The flight won’t disappear. It needs to be manually processed by the back office team and should be in due course closer to when you fly (most likely not yet ticketed, though I have seen it both ways). If you’re in a rush to cancel the credit card, last time I contacted BA by Twitter and got a call back with payment taken. If not, I would’t worry now but make sure it’s ticketed closer to the time.

• I got same problem, I called after two weeks then been told the first agent forgot to add £35 change fee to the booking so the tickets couldn’t be issued. Tickets was issued 3 days after I give BA the credit card authorise for extra £70.

• Louie says:

Was this adding on return flights that you couldn’t book when you booked the outbound because the return date was beyond T-355? If so, you shouldn’t have been charged a change fee in any case.

2. james says:

OT- I’m flying LHR-JFK with BA, then after a few days JFK-CUN with AA , then CUN-LGW-LHR-MAN again all with BA.

I have AMEX Gold with 2 long passes, any idea which of the airports lounges above would be best to use the 2 lounge passes?

3. Darren says:

OT, I referred a friend for SPG from Platinum last week, how long would it take for them to be accepted? They got the normal “we will get back to you” online response but have not had a letter or email yet.

Thanks

4. No Ads for me says:

o/t Is it just me or is anyone else seeing the HFP page fail to load completely (just left with blank page) if an ad blocker is turned on? (safari on mac)

Turn the ad blocker off and the page loads.

• the real harry1 says:

Haven’t you basically solved your little conundrum already? 🙂

• No Ads for me says:

No, as I refuse to have ad’s forced on me. If this is an attempt to block those making a free choice to avoid ad’s, it’s a really bad choice.

• That shouldn’t happen. We have set up a banner at the top which tells you that some articles will not render properly if you have an adblocker (which is true, as you have seen from the many moans on here in recent weeks). You can dismiss the banner and it will not return. It should not stop the page loading and you are welcome to keep reading regardless.

Not a single other person has reported this happening today and we have done – at 7pm – 14,000 page views today via Safari.

The % using Safari is also unchanged – 39% today vs 40% yesterday before the banner went up. Our Safari for the last month is 38% so we’re actually above trend today.

5. No Ads for me says:

Only seems to be in Safari. Chrome has the little red banner pop up (easily closed) but loads without ad’s

6. the real harry1 says:

O/T Xmas Saver – turning water into wine – so today I headed to a bigger T and they happily turned my Xmas Saver TD purchase back into points, enough nearly to fly 4 of us out RHS one way @ peak ie 30K Avios. Not bad at about £25/ ticket (+ the £17.50 fee on top). I make it 0.33p/ Avios.

This bigger T had an automated system that could see via transaction ID that I paid in points so refunded me in points, there was no phoning up or other contact with TD apart from the jock on the service desk processing the refund. My forward XS strategy might be to use only the bigger Ts, because the smaller Ts don’t have the system to see if you paid in points/coupons or cash (or mix) so it might be more difficult to get a refund in points. Going to try with a small store TV or something like that come November.

• Genghis says:

Surely you’re buying at 1/2.4p = 0.42p? Not fancy keeping this deal to yourself? I wouldn’t be publicising such a great scheme.

• the real harry1 says:

0.42p it is 🙂 always check the math when Harry’s in town lol

I’ve always been far too sharing, guilty m’lud – but with the demise of TD, most others won’t be bothered to try their luck I’m sure.

• Genghis says:

I’m sure many will be come the time if you can buy £1 of Uber Credit for 33p say. More difficult of course without TD but I’ll just buy stuff from larger Tescos

• the real harry1 says:

If you can order non-food item online (whether thru Gr or TD lite), you’ll have an order ID same as now, so if you decide you don’t want the item, that is as good as your receipt to get a refund. A bigger T should be able to refund you onto the payment method/s you used.

• lev441 says:

Sharing is caring Genghis! 😉

@TRH1 – When did you make the purchase? Must have been in the last 30 days otherwise they wouldn’t have given you a refund? Also – I know the TD refund process worked on a different system than the store system so this may not work again!

• the real harry1 says:

that’s what we need to test come XS 2018 (November onwards)

same principle should apply in theory

jock on the till said T is still going to have online ordering of non-food items, limited range, maybe some kind of TD lite?

• There is a huge peach at Tesco that has never been publicised here or elsewhere as far as I can tell. I did share it with somebody but they have never mentionec it either.

• the real harry1 says:

you okra tell us about that one 🙂

• If anybody has all the tesco tools and know-how at their disposal to figure it out then it is you Harry. However, I just found out by accident. Your comments today were lukewarm in some respect!

• Jimbob says:

Sorry for the newb question – but can’t you directly turn Xmas saver vouchers into Avios?

7. Allan says:

Got the MBNA letter today for my Miles & More card, converting to a horizon one. Any ideas on how this will affect miles expiry – will the 36 month ago flights drop off instantly? Need to spend those miles otherwise.

8. Will Squires says:
  9. A Pinate says:

OT: Resort Fees payable on IHG Rewards nights?
    Hi everyone, looked online but could not find anything recent on this topic.
    I’m planning a rewards stay in New York – Crowne Plaza TImes Square, which does have a resort fee – but I wanted to check if people know if they are waived for IHG Rewards Members / Reward Nights?
    I’m a Spire Elite member if that makes any difference…