Iberia Plus Kids …. another way of earning Avios when your children fly

Back in January I published an article on how to earn Avios points on behalf of your children – ie by signing them up to a British Airways Executive Club household account.

There is another option which I wanted to mention.  It is not ideal for most people, however, as I will explain.

Iberia runs a special loyalty scheme for children called Iberia Plus Kids.  You can find full details on the Iberia website here.

Iberia Plus Kids

It is open to children aged 2 to 11 at which point they graduate to ‘standard’ Iberia Plus membership.  Iberia Plus Kids members receive the snazzy card above and are able to earn Avios and status points when they fly.

This is a potential alternative for people who are not willing to open a British Airways household account purely to earn Avios points for their children.

However, there is a snag.  It doesn’t seem possible to get the Avios points OUT of Iberia Plus into a standard British Airways account:

you cannot move the Avios from Iberia Plus to avios.com / Aer Club / Vueling Club because anyone under 18 cannot have an avios.com account

you cannot move the Avios from Iberia Plus to a British Airways Executive Club account which is stand-alone because you need to be 18 years old to have one

and, most complex:

you cannot move the Avios from Iberia Plus to a BAEC kids account which is part of a household account because of the rules on using ‘Combine My Avios’

Here is the key rule :

3. Members of a Household Account under the Programmes may not use ‘Combine my Avios’ other than (a) from a British Airways Executive Club Household Account to an individual account under the Avios Programme or the Iberia Plus Programme and (b) from the individual account under the Avios Programme to a Household Account under the British Airways Executive Programme. Any other Household account transaction will not be permitted under Combine my Avios.

This means that Avios points earned in an Iberia Plus Kids account cannot be moved until the child hits 18.   In reality, you may get them earlier because at some point there are plans to merge Iberia and British Airways accounts together onto the avios.com platform.

This is not necessarily an issue.  If your child earns enough points for a redemption in Iberia Plus Kids, you can simply redeem the points directly from there.  You may also be happy for the Avios to sit in Iberia Plus Kids for a few years until the child hits 18.

For most people, though, adding their child to a British Airways Executive Club household account will continue to be the best way of ensuring that their Avios do not get wasted.

My review of the brand new Club Aspire lounge at London Gatwick's North Terminal
(Potential) today only: £1200 KLM business class fares from the UK to Hong Kong

Comments

1. Stuart says:

Combine my Avios is “not available” to me as of this morning from Iberia > Avios

• +1 tried 10 mins ago.

• the real harry1 says:

ditto – CMA currently unavailable on avios.com

I have a mystery 500 Avios in IB a/c as well!

• the real harry1 says:

I think it must be this
          10/11/17 Courtesy Intercontinental Hotels Group Hotels 500

only just popped up now as I transferred out all points except 1 just a couple of weeks ago

• Pug206 says:

Was there mention of the possibility to transfer from IB, to Aer Club then on to BAEC?

• the real harry1 says:

I tried IB to both avios.com and BAEC (pulling from IB) – this account is not in BAEC HHA so transfers fine direct to BAEC from IB normally.

Same answer both times, ie CMA currently unavailable.

They are currently building a dirty great big fence around several billion Avios @IB 🙂

• Lady London says:

Just like the Berlin wall. No one really believed it was being built to keep one half of the city locked up in 1961. Smart people got out immediately.

2. Thomas Howard says:

When trying to log into my Iberia account, I got an error. I tried to reset the PIN as suggest (above) and then got a second error:

“Restricted access to personal area

Access to the Iberia Plus personal area is currently blocked for the indicated number.

Iberia Plus service is not available at present (UB003).”

Is that usual?

• the real harry1 says:

It’s usual for the new IB a/cs created last weekend but nor for long-standing IB a/cs

see above try a different browser, try clearing cache/ cookies

• Bagoly says:

I used to have lots of trouble logging in on Chrome, but since I saw a comment last week here about Firefox being better I switched to that and have had no problems since.
        I wonder whether their IT tests only on Firefox.

3. the real harry1 says:

IB 90K: Confirming what I noted this morning, IB have today said they will honour the points in full (and for legit new a/cs as well) – with points delivery within ‘hours/ days’ (quote).

4. Eric the Half a Bee says:

GSTP reporting that Iberia have confirmed that they are honouring the promotion and all bonus Avios from the promotion will be deposited in the coming hours/days…

5. Octopus says:

OT: Has anyone searched BAEC for domestic reward flights on JAL recently? I’ve been trying to find seats between Tokyo and Osaka for September or any month but found none. Seems odd as they were previously quite easy to book.

• JAL recently restricted domestic awards to only 2 months out (both partner and their own). So depends for when in Sep you looked for. I can see plenty for August and the very beginning of September.

• Octopus says:

I was checking mid September. Thanks for the response, you know more than the BA agent who dealt with my 2for1 open JAW booking!

6. Kevin H says:

I got an “error message” when trying to log-in to Iberia Plus during the last 24 hours. I spoke with Iberia – they told me I already had an Iberia Plus account (unbeknown to me!) so had to email them confirming the one I wanted to keep (along with a copy of my passport).
    Hopefully, will be able to log back in – and see my 90k Avios – once it’s released!

Seems the multiple account verification is underway indeed.

7. My 90k Avios from IB have suddenly appeared, they weren’t there this afternoon.

8. marcw says:

90k Avios are landing in your account! Check IbPlus!

9. Yes, all are in my and OH account now. I purchased on Thursday. I already booked award on Iberia for New York return off peak before everyone goes nuts. The remaining 22k in each account I intend to spend on hotels or short-haul. Thanks Rob and HFP for great advice.

10. Bagoly says:

“Combine My Avios is currently unavailable” for BA *to* Iberia when trying from either Iberia or BA site.
    As we want to redeem for more than our bonuses for this promotion my FIFO-preparation currently looks a mistake!

11. Charlie says:

Mine have posted too!

02/07/18 Bonus For Purchasing At Iberia.com – Special T&cs Apply Other services 90,000

However my OH’s avios have not posted, hopefully they’ll turn up later.