IHG

Bits: update on £1900 BA Cape Town in First, Louis Vuitton opens in T4, going to Goodwood FOS? (photos added)

News in brief:

Still bookable – British Airways First Class to Cape Town for £2,026 each, or less

Last week I wrote about the new British Airways ‘241’ First Class trial that is running, called ‘Dream Tickets’.  It has proved popular with Head for Points readers – I’ve heard from around 15 who have booked at £3,600 to £4,000 per couple and I assume there are many more who didn’t get in touch – so I thought I’d give it another mention before it ends.

The first ‘Dream Tickets’ deal is Cape Town.  As you can see on this page of ba.com, you get two First Class tickets to Cape Town from Heathrow in January, February or March for just over £4,000.

Unfortunately, availability on the DIRECT flight back from Cape Town is now very limited.  You can get down OK but, coming back, it is very hard to find dates which don’t require you to change in Johannesburg.  On the upside, you get another 10 (EDIT: according to the comments, not 40 as I wrote) tier points for doing this.

If you can find dates where you can get the direct flights in First Class in both directions, you can save £300 per couple by booking here at the BA Holidays premium holidays site.  Book your First Class flights for two people and throw in a car rental on top.  For a seven night stay in March, you will pay around £1,800-£1,900 each.  It is far cheaper than just booking the flight on its own.

The snag is that BA Holidays will usually (although I have seen reports of exceptions to this) only price up when you are on the direct BA flights in both directions and there are few days left where you can do this. Do give it a go before booking ‘flight only’ though.

You must book by 18th July for travel between 1st January and 31st March.

British Airways Dream Tickets

Louis Vuitton opening in Heathrow Terminal 4

Tomorrow, Saturday 14th July, Louis Vuitton is opening a pop-up store in Heathrow Terminal 4.

The chain says:

“The pop-up concept is inspired by the ‘My LV World Tour’ collection that pays homage to Gaston Louis Vuitton’s private collection of destination stickers and symbolises the art of travelling and exploration.

The new space features a selection of men’s and women’s signature leather goods and accessories, inviting Heathrow travellers to discover the world of Louis Vuitton for the first time in Terminal 4.”

Louis Vuitton pop-up Heathrow Terminal 4

Going to the Goodwood Festival of Speed?

If you at the Goodwood Festival of Speed today or over the weekend, here is something to look out for.

The Waldorf Astoria Viewing Platform is a new viewing area launched this year.  The public can, subject to space being available, go onto the lower level.  However, if you have Hilton Honors Gold or Diamond status you can access the exclusive top deck.

As well as better views, you will receive free champagne and be able to enjoy Waldorf Astoria Red Velvet cupcakes!

You don’t need to have your Hilton Honors card to hand but you will need to be able to give your account number to the staff on duty.  Alternatively, download the app and put your status card into your mobile wallet.

There is no mention of guest access but it would be odd if a +1 was not allowed.  Nick sent me a couple of pictures – the top deck is pretty much deserted because Hilton never told people about this deal!

If you download the Goodwood app you can find confirmation of these details on the page explaining how the Waldorf Astoria Viewing Platform operates.  Thanks to Nick for this (and the pictures I added later).

Holiday Tips 3 - how to earn Avios and get the best deals on Heathrow Airport car parking
Bits: Etihad 10% World Cup discount, Qatar puts an A350 on Manchester, Finnair launches with AirPortr

Star Alliance

Comments

1. Craig says:

OT: LHR T3 tomorrow with no status, what is the best PP lounge please?

2. Kevin says:

You should all visit The Silo in Cape Town. Either to go to the art museum or have a drink in the hotel bar.

We stayed at the Lawhill Luxury Apartments which is right next to the One And Only. The One and Only has the biggest and most opulent breakfast buffet I think I’ve ever seen (it was not a bargain option).

3. OT – just back from a paid CW trip to Seoul/Tokyo. IFE across the whole plane did not work for the LHR-ICN flight and service by cabin crew was very mixed if I was being kind, I really wasn’t looking forward to return flight. The Tokyo flight back to LHR was the complete opposite, it was probably the best and most enthusiastic service I have had on a plane even compared to Emirates/Etihad First. The service lifted BA CW into a very enjoyable flight back….

Also, I booked a couple of hotels in Tokyo via Emyr at Bon Vivant. I was thoroughly impressed at all the extra touches that were provided. If you are thinking about booking a luxury hotel then definitely make use of his network.

• Compensation in Avios is paid for duff IFE, do claim. Glad it worked out well with Emyr.

• Kevin says:

We are visiting hotels in Tokyo booked by Emyr very soon. Very pleased it went well.

4. James says:

OT – Amex Plat insurance. Lost my phone whilst on holiday and put in a claim through my card. I have now been contacted by AXA Claim Validation Team to arrange a meeting. Are they suspecting me of fraud? I have never in my life made an insurance claim before (ignoring a car crash a few years ago) and now what I was hoping would be a straight forward claim looks less so. Is this normal?

• Does the amex plat insurance cover loss? I thought it was only theft

• James says:

From the t&cs it says “PERSONAL BELONGINGS, MONEY AND TRAVEL DOCUMENTS which are lost, stolen or damaged when your trip has been purchased on the Card account.”

• Jimbob says:

I would suspect their are lots of fraudulent claims for lost phones, probably just checking your events. In itself, I wouldn’t be too worried

5. Gordon Ritchie says:

Thanks for heads up on CPT 241. Three couples booked on 08/02/19 direct. Would have actually preferred one way via JNB to try out 787 version!

6. Stu287 says:

OT – I recently had a trip to paris orly for work. I chose orly due to the meetimg takimg very close to that airport and went out of my way to fly lcy on ba. Flight out was fine but flight home was cancelled and had to fly cdg to lhr instead.

I semt them the bill fpr the taxi to cdg which they duly agreed to pay bit i then complained further given that I had to cancel a meeting as a result of needing to travel to cdg instead of 10 mins to ory. Plus then trek to lcy and pick up my car from Heathrow.

Was I being reasonable in expecting them to chuck me a few Avios? They advised that there was nothing they could do other than reimburse my taxi amd that was final. I cant help but feel a little annoyed…. I need to book a flight to sfo in the next week for three of us and was planning to go BA but might think again.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

• Genghis says:

Why was the original flight cancelled? How delayed were you getting back to LCY?

• Stu287 says:

They didnt give a reason and just sent confirmation of the booking on the new flight which was actually within 10 mins of the original so in theory i wasnt late back to the UK. It did take me a lillte over an hour to get from lhr to lcy on the train/tube/dlr

• Genghis says:

No compo. Expenses (taxi and tube) only

• the real harry1 says:

Of course there’s compo unless the cancellation was for extraordinary circs
          see https://www.caa.co.uk/Passengers/Resolving-travel-problems/Delays-cancellations/Cancellations/Short-haul-cancellations/

Depending on notice received, OP should get EUR 125

Cancellation means cancellation of original flight – re-routing doesn’t affect the right to compo. Claim online and EUR 125 should be yours with no quibbles expected unless they quote extraordinary circs, ATC etc. Operational reasons are not extraordinary circs.

• Stu287 says:

To me it reads as though i am not entitled to anything given it says depart more than one hour before and land less than two hours after to get any compo?

• the real harry1 says:

It’s more straightforward than that. Your original flight was cancelled —> compo.

Just because they got you there on a different flight at pretty much the same time does not negate your right to compo for the cancellation.

It’s not being greedy. You were inconvenienced.

• the real harry1 says:

OK I see your sticking point. They didn’t give you an alternative flight from the same airport, to the same airport.

If they had changed your Orly – LCY flight for another, within the timeframe, then no compo.

But they changed it to CDG-LHR.

= compo

7. Roger says:

Is anyone still waiting for IHG Creation points to post this month?
    With my points credit this month, I should qualify for SE but points have not posted to account, statement generated 2/3 days ago. Normally points post within a day or two.

• Genghis says:

My wife’s didn’t post last month (23rd of month) as planned and so required some chasing

8. Graeme says:

Completely OT, I remember reading on here to link your SPG account to Amex MR you have to put some 0’s in. How many please?

9. OT: I should know this, but I’ve forgotten! When you go over the one year card anniversary of the Preferred Rewards Gold card, can you cancel and get a pro-rata refund? I know it’s like that for the plat.

Also, if you have charges on the card (and want to cancel), can you just ask to pay off the bill when you cancel? I’m assuming you don’t need to wait till statement day?