Bits: win 100,000 IHG points on Monday, 20% off Manchester IHG hotels, Gold Guest List lounge guesting

News in brief:

Coming Monday: An exclusive competition with IHG

We have teamed up with IHG to offer our readers the chance to win 100,000 IHG Rewards Club points.

On Monday we will launch an exclusive competition to promote IHG’s current Manchester offer (see below).

So make sure to check back on Monday, even if you are on holiday!

20% off Manchester stays at IHG hotels

The reason for IHG’s generosity is to promote their newly launched Manchester sale.

For bookings made by 7th September, for stays until the year end, IHG Reward Club members can book weekend stays at Manchester hotels at 20% off the standard rates.

The offer is valid at the Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Staybridge Suites and Crowne Plaza hotels in Manchester.

(A brand new combined Staybridge Suites and Crowne Plaza is due to open near Oxford Road on 9th September and is well worth considering – rates should be low for the first few months and obviously everything inside will be clean and fresh.  Whilst not bookable under this offer, you can also look forward to Manchester’s first Hotel Indigo near Victoria Station next April.)

Stays must be completed by 30th December 2018.  Full details can be found on this special Manchester sale page of the IHG website.

If you are travelling to Manchester by train, you can also get 20% off your ticket. As Virgin Trains is offering 20% off advance off-peak fares to and from Manchester Piccadilly.

BA Gold Guest List lounge guesting

British Airways is again opening the floodgates for lounge guesting.  If you are a Gold Guest List member – standard Gold members need not apply – you can bring up to FIVE guests with you into BA lounges from tomorrow until 2nd September.

There are some caveats.  The lounge must be BA operated and you must be on a British Airways flight, not a oneworld or other partner airline.

British Airways will also block the use of this policy at Galleries First during peak periods, insisting that the full party use Galleries Club instead.

How Jason got to the World Cup semi final at 48 hours notice using his miles and points!
30% bonus when you use Virgin Flying Club 'Miles Booster' - good deal?

Comments

1. ChrisC says:

Floodgates?? Good grief. I’d have expected a comment like that on flyer talk BA board but you should be aiming for better than that sort of hyperbole.

In the scheme of things GGL has very few members so the impact in practical terms will be marginal

• Stu287 says:

It would be interesting to know how many GGL’s there are in the world…

OT the cheeky [email protected]# at hilton sent me a reminder for the hilton cc survey so i thought id do it, then when i got to the end they said there was already the required number of reaponses received and the survey could not be completed…

• You’re clearly not a morning person.

• ChrisC says:

I just hate it when emotive language like ‘floodgates’ is used when it it totally unnecessary on what is supposed to be a professional travel blog.

2. Daniel says:

At the first wing this morning and there was a passenger in front showing the email from BA around GGL lounge guesting to the staff member, but the staff member (who also consulted someone who looked like a supervisor) said that they had not been made aware of this … (the passenger and his guests were allowed through)

3. Roger says:

OT_ Does BAPP have a fixed date for ALL cardholders (towards end of month) when points posts to the account?

• No. The avios transfer across each month approximately 6 days before your statement date

4. paulm says:

Hi Rob, not sure if just me but only had 2 emails per day last few days. Checked junk/spam folder and not going in there either.

• Mike L says:

Glad you mentioned this, same here for the past couple of days. Spam folder clear.

• KevMc says:

Same for me. I mentioned it in the comments yesterday but assumed it was just me.

• Lady London says:

Mine stopped coming altogether about 3 weeks ago I think. With no action from me.

Come to think of it, there’s another WordPress site that regularly used to stop sending the emails I’d signed up for. In that case I really needed the emails to get the news and remind me to look at the site. After several year s of realising I’d stopped receiving their emails, then signing up again, then at shorter and shorter intervals getting chucked off their mailing list again (I suspect WordPress is more likely to drop you if you’re a recent subscriber which of course you would look like if you keep having to re-sign up) I gave up on that site. Its a shame cos its a very good one. Rob I hope one day you will get an alternative to WordPress because this is all a bit deja vu. If I have to sign up again to receive HfP emails then this would be 3rd or 4th time.

• We’re not using WP. We use MailChimp which is the global No 1 in bulk emailing. No system is perfect but if they stop it is ALWAYS down to your ISP starting to block them. We can not control that.

• Lady London says:

In neither case have missed emails landed in my spam folder and my ISP is yahoo so very doubtful on this. Lots of US spam senders I had to unsubscribe from have used mailchimp though. I’ll check if the other site i eventually gave up had also switched to mailchimp.

• the real harry1 says:

just start up a new contact a/c with HFP? different email address

• Doug M says:

“We use MailChimp which is the global No 1 in bulk emailing. No system is perfect but if they stop it is ALWAYS down to your ISP starting to block them.”

The later being a result of the former.

• It is almost impossible to use MailChimp for spam. For a start it costs so much that spam would become unviable! Most ISPs are given MailChimp routing codes so they can allow their stuff through unchecked.

• Lady London says:

Thanks Harry I’ll give that a try.

• Peter K says:

My wife doesn’t get emails from eBay now and she uses yahoo.

5. KevMc says:

IHG are also doing a ‘mystery bonus’ promotion on the purchase of points between now and 22nd August. You just need to login to see what bonus (up to 100%) you are personally offered.

6. Mr(s) Entitled says:

IHG sponsoring comeptitions. 20% off weekend rates until year end. New hotel worth trying. HfP Xmas do in Manchester this year?

7. BA again devaluing their own product particularly using galleries club as a dumping ground. My family and I 3 silver and 1 gold travelled club world with BA at May half term and arrived in Galleries club around 2pm. It was a horrible experience, slop was the only way you could describe the contents of the serving trays and you would have required a sieve to get any solid food out of what was laughingly called a Thai curry! Not that it mattered there were no plates and no cutlery. Every seat was occupied either by an unfortunate fellow traveller or the detritus of previous occupants. There were not enough staff and absolutely no management presence or oversight.
    Club world is a poor product in the air and on the ground. I truly don’t understand BAs rationale as beyond it being consistent the product hasn’t a single redeeming feature. The White stuff bedding so extensively promoted is nothing more than lipstick on a pig! And don’t get me started on attentive intuitive crew. Serve clear and clear out is the sertvicecstandard.
    I am very much a supporter of improving access to lounge for card holders and can even accept that this will make the busier at holiday periods. The problem is that despite all of the data BA has on who is travelling, when and in what class, they simply are incapable of using it to resource the lounges correctly preferring instead for then to become dirty waiting rooms. To many quality airlines cope with lounges which are constantly busy much of the time such as Qatar’s exception business class lounge and AA flagship lounge at JFK.
    Frankly this is another reason for avoiding BA.

• Lady London says:

+100. That’s a key reason why I let my Gold lapse. The slop, overcrowding and filth, plus tacky shower rooms and loos in Heathrow lounges in Terminal 5, speaks volumes about the attitude British Airways has to its customers. It’s ‘we own this Terminal and we don’t have to compete’. I’ve spent serious money happily in Gordon Ramsay’s in T5 to avoid both Club and Galleries lounges.

I’d rate conditions in British Airways Galleries lounge as about equivalent to Pret a Manger in T5 airside. Except Pret has got it just right – tables are cleared immediately someone leaves without the person feeling they have been pushed to leave either.

Personally if I was BA I’d introduce a small charge for all the lounges except Concorde.

• ChrisC says:

I already pay a ‘small’ charge to use BA Lounges – it’s called buying a ticket.

8. OT. Is anyone still waiting for Iberia avios? I opened Iberia account on 23/06 then bought 10 flights. On 5/07 got an email to send a passport copy and tickets whichi did an then 2 days ago got another email apologisig dor delay.
    Any advise what to do and where to chase/complain? I have seen some people mentioning that people who had to send passport didn’t receive points.

• the real harry1 says:

They have got 25,000 new a/c IDs to check (apparently).

ON FT IB forums, people are speeding up the award of points by emailing the 3 email-able IB execs direct.

Whatever you do, don’t accept the ‘inconsistencies, we’re refunding your tickets, no points’ scenario if yours was a legitimate a/c with genuine passport details.

• the real harry1 says:

Datapoint from today, showing it pays to go mental:
        HT FT “-Created a new account for this promo
        -Booked 10 one way flights
        -Submitted passport and flight info as instructed
        -Received ‘inconsistency’ email;
        -Emailed back, no reply
        -Emailed execs and posted on social media

This morning, received the following email:
        “Dear:
        Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconveniences we may have caused you for not being able to respond until today the e-mail you sent us regarding our 9,000 Avios promotion.
        In relation with the 9,000 Avios campaign for flights booked on iberia.cXm we have reviewed your request and the information you supplied. We have sent the information to the relevant department for the awarding of the promotional Avios, if the information in your booking is correct, you should see these credit in your account during the following week.”
        Kind regards
        Your Iberia Plus Service Center.” “

• Sam G says:

One of us got an email saying they were verified and they had forwarded the bookings to another dept for verification for the promo, the other nothing! Bit of a pain as I have flights I wanted to use them for. There is a long thread on Flyertalk – some new accounts are getting the points but seems like they are totally overwhelmed

• Claire says:

This is promising! I’ve had exactly the same scenario (x2 for partner), sent the stuff off but apart from one standard acknowledgement followed by being able to access the account again, nothing else.
        Finally got through to IB+ phone line today and she said my email is still pending, so fingers crossed.

9. Peter K says:

30% off most IHG at the weekends (UK only?) With the MasterCard rate is better surely?

10. the real harry1 says:

O/T Level must be happy!
    LUFTHANSA has hit back at “unfounded” allegations it is trying to “destabilise and damage” Ryanair’s takeover of an Austrian airline set up by former Formula One driver Niki Lauda.
    Ryanair, which was given regulatory clearance to acquire Laudamotion on Thursday, yesterday claimed that the Austrian airline was “under threat by Lufthansa”.
    The German airline is attempting to reclaim nine aircraft used by Laudamotion, the Irish carrier said.
    Lufthansa bought the planes from Laudamotion’s predecessor Niki, Austria’s second-largest airline, after it folded in December 2017.
    A bid by Germany’s national carrier to buy Niki was blocked by European authorities and the airline was instead reborn as Laudamotion. Brussels mandated that Lufthansa hand over the aircraft to Laudamotion. The phoenix airline did not want to buy the planes from Lufthansa, however, choosing to lease them instead.
    “Laudamotion has recently failed, repeatedly, to meet its contractually agreed lease payment obligations,” Lufthansa said.
    “Lufthansa has exercised its contractually agreed right of termination because of a violation of contractual terms by Laudamotion, and has terminated the lease agreements on nine aircraft due to the non-payment of the lease amounts involved.”
    Ryanair, which previously owned 25pc of Laudamotion, alleged Lufthansa had delayed handing the planes over, which reduced the Austrian airline’s ability to take up take-off and landing slots. Laudamotion was only able to operate its fleet this summer by leasing 10 Boeing 737 aircraft from Ryanair, it is claimed. Lufthansa delayed a €1.5m (£1.3m) lease payment due to Laudamotion, Ryanair alleged.
    Lufthansa said it “has fully complied with all EU Commission obligations regarding the required transfer of aircraft to Laudamotion”.
    Juliusz Komorek, Ryanair’s chief legal officer said: “Lufthansa is abusing its dominant position in the German and Austrian markets in a blatant attempt to eliminate a much smaller, Austrian competitor, Laudamotion.”

11. Kathy says:

Heh. Sales always come up after I’ve booked non-refundable rooms elsewhere.

Of course, if this is 20% off best flex then the travelodge is likely still cheaper!

12. The Original Nick says:

Has anyone any idea from previous years experience when the next IHG accelerate promotion will be announced?

• Genghis says:

It looks like I registered on 15 Aug last year for the promo starting 1 Sep until end of the year.

• The Original Nick says:

Thanks Genghis

• Claire says:

Same question – I thought last year’s summer period also included August though, so that the new one started 1st Sep when the previous finished? I could be wrong. I’ve got a load of bookings in Aug so hoping they’ll email soon and start it 1st Aug!

13. Roger says:

Any news on IHG Q3 Accelerate promotion, Rob.
    Also interested to see any poinysbreak previews for 3rd quarter.

14. OT – May be of interest to some re the standard Amex rules of two credit cards/ two charge cards per person, however, I recently applied for the Gold card for Mrs Cboy forgetting it is now a credit card, she holds BA PP and Nectar, and it was approved.

• I think this rule no longer exists. I’ve currently got 3 credit cards with AMEX and I’ve read several comments on this in the past too saying that theyve been approved

15. Ammar says:

Ot – delayed on the train arriving into York by 57 mins from Newcastle so will claim delay repay. But missed my connection from York to London on grand central which was running on time….so wondering can I claim any compensation from lner for that even if on separate ticket, if not then what about Amex travel inconvenience protection, or is that just for flight delays only and not trains ?
    Any help appreciated

16. Vasco says:

OT: Are you still interested in guest reviews of lounges at UK airports? I can write up one on both the BA lounge and the Aspire lunge at BHD.

• We’ve got BA but we don’t have Aspire. Happy to take that if you can do a few picks and write a few paragraphs. We can polish it up. A reward will be forthcoming!

• Vasco says:

Great, that’s just as well as my coming trip is on Flybe, so I won’t be able to use the BA lounge this time. I can also do the AC Hotel (opened this year, first new build AC Hotel in the UK IIRC) if you’d like. 🙂 Regardless, expect to hear back re: the lounge sometime next week.

• the real harry1 says:

Incidentally: how do you manage to transfer points to contributors, Raffles?

• the real harry1 says:

As my cousin Boris said: you can polish a turd but it’s still a turd 🙂

• Can I have a reward for giving the link to the new Lloyds T&Cs in the comments a few weeks ago? 😁

17. Brasov says:

OT How can we cancel Irish Indie sub? They only have a premium rate number that doesn’t work over here

• the real harry1 says:

cancel DD

• Brasov says:

It’s a credit card though

• the real harry1 says:

yep that’s why I always refuse to go for subs with credit cards – devil of a job to cancel with disreputable suppliers

However – not the case here so you need to get on the blower or email

• Jimbob says:

Get a replacement credit card, if needs must. They’ll usually send a replacement in a couple of days, if you’ve “lost” the original card

• Mark2 says:

I got a replacement from Lloyds last week (had really destroyed it). It was identical to the old one.