BA sale

Eurostar station staff to strike on 28th July

Eurostar station staff at London St Pancras have called a 24 hour strike for 28th July.

It is to protest at what the RMT union describes as “shocking and dangerous” working conditions due to recent service failures, caused by issues in the tunnel, train breakdowns and French rail strikes.

Eurostar strike

As anyone who has used Eurostar since the move from Waterloo will know, the concourse area is not huge and can soon become overcrowded if trains are not running on schedule.

Eurostar currently believes that it can continue to run services as normal if the strike does go ahead.

Eurostar strike

How to earn Club Eurostar points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Club Eurostar does not have its own UK credit card.  However, you can earn Club Eurostar points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 15:1 into Club Eurostar points.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, so you earn the equivalent of 1 Club Eurostar point for every £15 you spend.

American Express Platinum also comes with a great Eurostar benefit – lounge access!  You can enter any Eurostar lounge, irrespective of your ticket type, simply by showing The Platinum Card at the desk.  No guests are allowed but you can get entry for your partner by issuing them with a FREE supplementary Amex Platinum card on your account.

My failed attempt to review Vueling's short haul business class
Amazon Prime Day continues all day on Tuesday

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Jovanna says:

I’m seeing different availability on ba.com to avios.com. BA has four BA flights on the day that I’m looking at. Avios only has two flights.

I was hoping to use a Lloyds upgrade voucher, which expires at the end of this month. Of course, the flight that I want to catch is shown on the BA page and not the Avios page. Is this typical? Can I resolve it over the telephone with Avios?

• I’ve had this – called them when there were 7 CW seats showing on a flight on BA but avios.com said there were no seats and I ended up having to book a different flight to use my upgrade voucher. I suppose it might have been that someone booked those seats in the time it took for the avios.com CS rep to get into their system but 7? However, it’s always worth calling them and asking.

• Lady London says:

BA in particular deny it and it used to happen a lot more but it’s still relatively frequent that Avios availability that is showing on Avios, is better than Avios availability showing on BA. This is the first time I’ve heard of it working the other way but I’d always call and ask

• Jovanna says:

I called Avios. They could see the flights that I wanted. All booked now. Thank you.

• guesswho2000 says:

Back when Avios.com was Airmiles, you’d occasionally end up being booked into a revenue bucket, I earned BA Miles and Tier Points on a reward booking once (it was a Y LHR-BRU, so nothing life changing, sadly!).

• the real harry1 says:

yep I have benefited from this in the past. Still worth putting in FF number nowadays even when you won’t earn Avios or TPS – it seems to get me a blocked middle half the time even though I have zero status, being a 100% points redeemer (no cash tickets, ever). Blocked middle even when the plane is 99% full with just 1 or 2 empty seats, no idea why that happens as there must be superior status people on the plane, I guess if they sit their partner next to them, they wouldn’t get a blocked middle. Or does my Avios stash get seen by the algorithm? Or is it because I often grab exit seat for free, & exit row IS often just 2 people not 3? Or because I am quick off the mark to check in @ T-24 minus a few seconds? One to ponder.

2. the real harry1 says:

If you prefer Ebay prices to Amazon, you can get 20% off Ebay UK sitewide right now using code PRIMO119 (but it’s more complicated that that, check elsewhere to see how). This does work fine, Ebay are funding the discounts.

3. the real harry1 says:

O/T IB 90K – well I don’t know what you guys think – and we may of course agree to differ – but I think putting a modicum of pressure on the IB execs has helped persuade them to honour the spirit of the 90K deal.

Points are now/ today being awarded in full for the most part, with new a/cs finally not given the run around for inconsistencies (booking 10 silly schedules) or just fobbed off because somebody didn’t sign up with a middle name included (we definitely didn’t!)

Triple dry white ports all round! 🙂

• Crafty says:

My 9,000 remain missing, though I did get an apology email today and a promise that they would post “if eligible” in the next few days.

• the real harry1 says:

Reports that IB have blocked booking award/ reward flights on partner metal! Watch this space 🙂

I already booked a couple of returns on BA so with any luck that stays OK lol

• the real harry1 says:

Some people who emailed execs are getting an extra 90K Avios lol 🙂

• Jimbob says:

Only got 18k of my expected 54k points, this is becoming hard work, especially with Iberia’s non existent customer service

• Nicholas Gaul says:

Result Harry.

• Just seen on FT that people are only able to book IB redemptions and one poster unable to book hotels. You seem to have been ahead of the curve all the way with this one Harry!

• Genghis says:

Pleased I cashed out last week then!

• the real harry1 says:

My assumption is: even IB didn’t plan or want this… we’ll see. No way was it in the T&Cs to only be permitted to redeem on IB.

What flight/s did you get, Genghis?

• Genghis says:

@TRH used on hotels which was the plan all along. Decent return.

• Lady London says:

I think they’re also booking some tasty longhaul routes I’m looking at on their own metal.

• Lady London says:

*blocking

• the real harry1 says:

Some people getting success, booking by ‘call the UK number +442036843774 and say “Iberia Plus bookings”‘

• Sam G says:

Yep that’s what I did (think that’s my comment from FT:-) – seems like there have been more hit and misses since then but should get there in the end

I used my OHs for 4 x LHR-Zante o/w Club Europe tickets for sister and family heading to her wedding – 68k and 250eur in taxes. The return I booked N class HBO fares for 71eur and had a pretty painful call with Singapore yesterday to get them UuA for 8500 avios each from my BA balance. Overall inc the IB cash tickets I had to buy it worked out 160gbp + 8500 avios pp for CE returns which I’m happy with -cheaper than Jet2 from Stansted once you add bags etc and all their first times in anything other than economy !

The remaining 13k I used for a discount on a night in a hotel I needed in London.

If I get my other 90k (I got an inconsistancies email for no apparent reason – resent yesterday and got a pin reset so fingers crossed they’ll turn up soon) then I’ll probably just use them for hotels. Overall a great deal!

4. Ben E says:

OT: I have BA companion voucher and an avios upgrade voucher both in my name. Anyone know of a way I can use both of them together to take me, wife and daughter on hols together?
    Problem is both in my name and don’t seem to be able to book for household members? Or could it be changed to someone else once booked?
    tks
    b

5. Gavin Watson says:

OT : IB+ 9000 Bonus Miles – Spend £420 on 10 one-way flights for my wife and I and got 180k points as expected. What I didn’t expect was Iberia saying I can only use these for booking flights and not hotels which is not what was widely reported. Anyone else had this issue and did you manage to resolve it ?