Heathrow Airport now selling Fast Track security access, inc Terminal 5

This seems to be new, although I haven’t seen any announcements about it.

Heathrow Airport has started to sell Fast Track security access.  You can find it on the Heathrow website here.

The price is not exactly a bargain at £12.50 per person.  It does not vary by terminal.

Heathrow Airport selling Fast Track security access

(For comparison, Gatwick Airport charges £5 and discounts this to £4 via the MyGatwick portal.  More interestingly, you also get it for free if you spend £5 to reserve your place in the No 1 Lounges lounge which guarantees you entry if you are planning to use a Priority Pass or Lounge Club card.  I did this myself a few weeks ago when taking an easyJet flight.)

The problem with this service, even if you can swallow the cost, is that Fast Track is usually not that fast.  In fact, the main benefit of this new service as far as I’m concerned is that it may encourage Heathrow to make Fast Track genuinely ‘fast’.

When I was in Madrid last Friday, for example, there was no queue at all at the Fast Track boarding pass check and no queue at all at the Fast Track security belt.  I had already seen lines at the standard control and was impressed that I could whisk through.

Compare that to my last three visits to the ‘super premium’ Heathrow Terminal 5 First Wing where – on two occasions – we have been stuck in a lengthy queue and with only one of the two security belts operational.

There is a little quirk to the new Heathrow Fast Track service.  In Terminal 5, you can only use it at North Security – although this is the one nearest the tube and Heathrow Express exit.  The Fast Track lane at the North end of Terminal 5 is probably the best-kept secret at Heathrow because it is totally separate to the main security lanes, separated by some shops.

You can find out more on the Heathrow Airport website here.

PS.  You earn Heathrow Rewards points if you do choose to pay the £12.50!

What is the best Visa or Mastercard travel loyalty credit card?
Avios from the Iberia '90,000 Avios' promotion CAN now be transferred to British Airways

IHG

Comments

1. Patty says:

When can we have Fast Track border clearance available for sale? I would definitely pay for it. The queues at Heathrow (whichever terminal) is simply horrendous for non-EU citizens (and perhaps soon to be everyone non-UK).

• Tracy says:

I would have paid for that too this summer. We got off a long SFO to LHR fligjt and ended up in an hour long queue at passport control as kids couldn’t do the epassport thingy which was very quiet. Ended up with 10 mins in lounge as we had a very fast turnaround before flying back to Glasgow.

• Mr. K says:

I’d be super interested in buying that. I got business class for my parents on the flight in so that they could use Fast Track – they are getting old and wouldn’t have survived the 2-3 hour normal queue. Even I was feeling kinda faint after the whole thing, and I’m young and healthy.

2. TigerTanaka says:

Now if Heathrow would just do something about the T5 fast track for connecting passengers. Nothing worse than going through flight connections, up the escalator and then seeing security staff let people who have come through the North boarding pass check join the queue in front if you.

3. Roger says:

Europcar £1 rentals – Is there anyway to guarantee larger car if you are going to airport with a family and have luggage?

• Mark2 says:

I have always assumed that you get whichever random car they want moved.
      It sounds like a good idea but, apart from the awful website, understandably there are few cars to be taken the other way – so how do you get home?

• the real harry1 says:

No guarantee. Don’t bother phoning them a couple of days before, as they’ll tell you they haven’t got a clue which car you’ll get, computer sez on the day.

Most people don’t get the tiniest 1 suitcase cars, if that helps. We got a Mokka SUV which was fine for 4 people, 2 big suitcases, 4 cabin bags.

4. Roger says:

OT_

I have Open jaw ticket on QR. In SIN and return from KUL.
    I wanted to try overnight train but that seems to have stopped now.
    Any best way to explore this short journey without taking flight?

Distance is only 185 miles. Do not want to drive but will have luggage and with family so would like an easy ride. If nothing works flight is definitely an option.

• There are many bus services including overnight and luxury ones for this route. Takes about 6 hours depending on traffic and security checks at the causeway.

• Sam G says:

Yep train isn’t really an option now – would need to get on the Woodlands shuttle to JB CIQ – then the train to KL requires a connection from there due to electrification works. Personally I would fly but otherwise coach is best option – check Easybook or google a private hire – for a family it won’t be a bad option cost wise

• the_real_a says:

Do consider splitting your journey in Malacca for an overnight. Learn a little of the regions history, and enjoy some great food and culture. Comfy VIP buses are very frequent. This is the “usual” place to split your journey.

• the_real_a says:

Also there is a 10k Holiday Inn right on the seafront if you have IHG points. You can use Grab car to get around. Each journey cost me under £2

• Roger says:

Thanks for response.
          I am using most of my time in Singapore due to 7 night JW Marriott stay.

• The Original Nick says:

Roger, Check http://www.seat61.com

5. MAY L LIM says:

Can I buy Fast Track flying in? As a non EU, non status, I dread the long queues & would appreciate buying Fast Track for coming in. However, that price tag is hard to swallow.

Roger:
    Yes, you cannot train between KUL & SIN in one train Ride. It requires 2 changes & lots of inconveniences. There are various coach companies that ply this route.
    I recommend First Coach which picks up from Novena Square SG & drops off in Bangsar KUL or Bandar Utama PJ.
    Or Transtar which have options for airline style business class seats.
    There are other cheaper options.

6. occasional ranter says:

First time I was entitled to use it (in T3 flying CX J) fast track security was actually slower than non-fast track…

7. Pointless – there is zero difference between fast track and non-fast-track at T5 (other than non-fast track being often faster than fast track. )

8. Mark Smith says:

For me the only shorter queue seems to be for Club bag drop. Agree with the comments above the security lines just seem to be pot luck as to how quickly you get through, fast track or no fast track.