Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

American Express suspends Membership Rewards transfers to Starwood Preferred Guest

American Express Membership Rewards has suspended transfers into Starwood Preferred Guest until 8th August.

This is inconvenient if you were hoping to pick up a Marriott Travel Package before they shoot up in price on 18th August, or indeed book a redemption at a property which is going up in cost on the same date.

Membership Rewards transfers to Starwood Preferred Guest suspended

8th August is an odd choice of date.  I would have expected transfers to be suspended until 18th August, to ensure that there is no confusion over the ratio.

I am expecting the transfer rate to move from 2:1 to 2:3 on 18th August in line with the 1:3 alignment of Starwood Preferred Guest with ‘new Marriott’ although this has not been confirmed.

Comments (100)

• GabeS says:

Hi Rob&Anika
    Is there any new Amex Gold holders Amazon offer or has the previous one been extended?

• Rob says:

Last time I checked it had not been extended again.

• Rob says:

Thanks Ewan. That’s weird, I checked a couple of weeks ago and it hadn’t changed. Let’s see if it flips over again.

• EwanG says:

Yes Rob – extended again. ‘Shop with points’ promo now extended to finish on 31/8/2018

• dicksbits says:

OT: Does anyone know if you book a BA holiday and fly American Airlines in Economy, can you reserve the Main Cabin Extra seats (if available) as Gold (One World Emerald) for free? I assume you could by logging into American with your code to select a seat…but wondered if you could do it for both of us if the other half doesn’t have status…? Anyone guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Jason Wiltshire says:

Does anyone know if the SPG to Airline Miles transfers at 1:1 will be affected by the SPG/Marriott merger?

• Rob says:

It may change for smaller quantities but the ’60k ‘new scheme’ points for 20k miles plus a 5k bonus’ will remain.

• Jason Wiltshire says:

Thanks Rob, as always

• the real harry1 says:

When in Rome?

My wife is taking 2 chimps to Rome next week – big 5 – oh.

I bowed out. We all need a holiday from our wives.

But I got her & the kids a great hotel in Central Historic part of town.

Now, if you could just recommend 1 good thing to do in Rome, what would it be? I don’t mean ice cream. Something more meaningful or memorable.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

St Peter’s Basicalla. It’s free (big plus) and the queues move quickly (unusual in Rome) but better to get there early to avoid the longest lines.

It is without doubt the most impressive building I have ever been in. I’m no Catholic and would not register on the religious scale but it is awe inspiring. Then you think about how it was funded… makes for an interesting visit whichever side of the religious divide you sit.

• Peter K says:

Just walk and enjoy the scenery, seriously gorgeous. I found the coliseum a bit meh but if she wants to go get her ticket from pallatine hill as she can then skip the queue at the coliseum.
      The hop on hop off bus is good for a general overview.
      The pantheon was nice, free and central.
      Evening meal on the rooftop of the hotel indigo – St George was great. Wonderful views of the Vatican etc lit up at night and decent food.

• the real harry1 says:

Thanks both – will recommend.

As it happens, I did my Italian A level at St George’s School, Rome – I arranged this exam independently, got an A, was back in about 1985. So rings a bell, St George’s just invigilated it.

Tell your kids they can do the same. I got 2 more A grade A levels in Italian & Spanish whilst I was at university – always impressed the interview panels but were really a mere piece of ploop & good fun.

• LB says:

An audience with the Pope?

• the real harry1 says:

Languages are just easy – A grade A level is within everybody’s reach, just go onto Rosetta Stone or do an intensive course in the country 🙂

Raffles – German? – shame on you lol

• Mike G says:

Damned annoying that Amex suspended SPG transfers – I’m trying to pick up a travel package before they screw up all the rates!

• Martin says:

Amex Reward point transfers to SPG suspension extended to 21st August, which makes sense in the context of the merger. Total lack of info from Amex on how transfers will work after that – will 2 MR points convert into 3 “New Marriott” points? Who knows? Certainly not Amex CS rep’s who appear to have been told absolutely nothing. A bit of Amex communication with their Customers would be useful.