BA Sale

20 Arsenal games now bookable with Emirates miles or Amex points – from just 5000 miles!

Slightly later than usual, Emirates Skywards loaded the full 2018/9 schedule of Arsenal FC tickets onto its website on Wednesday morning.

You can redeem via the Skywards website here.

(They also have tickets for AC Milan, SL Benfica, Real Madrid, Hamburger and Paris Saint-Germain, but this article focuses on Arsenal.)

Emirates Stadium games have basically been split into three categories (pricing is per seat):

Europa League – 10,500 miles for the Emirates VIP box or 5,000 miles for a standard seat

Normal league game – 20,000 miles for the Emirates VIP box or 10,000 miles for a standard seat

High profile league game – 40,000 miles for the Emirates VIP box or 20,000 miles for a standard seat

The highest profile games (Manchester City, Liverpool etc) are being auctioned.  This is a blind auction where you can’t see what other people are bidding.

Emirates Skywards miles Arsenal

Having done a lot of these redemptions, here are a few VERY important facts to note:

The Emirates box is THE best box in the stadium.  It is directly on the half way line.  You will never see a game of football from a better position.  And the seats are heated!

You get a high quality hot buffet and free drinks in the box.  It has a capacity of about 20 people, most of which are direct Emirates invites.  (I don’t know how the food and drink varies for evening games.)  Frankly, for the European matches at 10,500 miles per box seat it is a cheaper night out than going for a meal in a restaurant even if you don’t watch the game!

You can only book TWO seats per game per Emirates account.  More may be available but you cannot book more than two per game.  The system does not allow you to make multiple separate transactions – the only way to get more than two seats is to book from multiple Skywards accounts.

You do NOT get a refund if the match is changed due to TV schedules.  This is very important to understand.  TV games are only fixed a few weeks ahead.  Whilst you are booking for a Saturday, the game could be switched to Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon or Monday evening.  There are no refunds if the game is changed and you cannot make it.

Photo ID is required when you collect the tickets on the day.  It is OK, when booking, to put your name down for both seats.  You will be emailed nearer the time and asked for the name of your guest.

How to use American Express Membership Rewards points

American Express Membership Rewards points transfer at 1:1 into Emirates Skywards.  Transfers are INSTANT if your accounts are already linked.

If they are not linked, it may take a day to complete.

I do not normally recommend making transfers from unlinked accounts to book tickets as they can easily sell out before your miles arrive.  However, with 20 potential games to book, I think it is a manageable risk if your Amex and Emirates accounts are not already linked.

This is what it’s like

Three years ago I took my father-in-law to watch Arsenal play Chelsea:

Emirates Skywards Arsenal

The food (buffet) and drink selection was excellent.  The 4pm kick-off meant that we had already eaten lunch so we only nibbled at the food.  It was done to a very high standard however.

Emirates Skywards Arsenal football

The buffet was brought out again at half time with added snacks (chicken wings) and desserts.  Food is also available after the final whistle if you want to avoid the queue for the tube.

This is what I meant about the Emirates box being in the best position in the stadium:

Skywards miles Arsenal Skybox

The suite seats 24 people with 3 rows of 4 x 4 seating.  They are heated and well padded with substantial armrests – you will never sit in a comfier seat for a football match!  By law, you cannot take alcoholic drinks into the seats.  Soft drinks and tea / coffee are fine, however, as long as they are in plastic glasses.

Arsenal on Emirates Skywards miles

If you are a big Arsenal fan, or are simply looking for an interesting way to use up your American Express Membership Rewards points or Emirates Skywards miles, I do recommend taking a look at these redemptions.

You can book your seats via this page of the Emirates website.

How to earn Emirates Skywards miles via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Emirates no longer has its own UK credit card.  However, you can earn Emirates Skywards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Emirates Skywards miles.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Emirates Skywards miles.

British Airways news: £1150 Club World to Cape Town, Muscat suspended, Phoenix reduced
The best Upper Class and Premium deals in the Virgin Atlantic September promo

BA Sale

Comments

1. Shame it’s only just been announced. I cleared out my MR account 2 days ago and have a friend who’d have loved to have gone.

2. Combat Johnny says:

Surely they would be lucky to give arsenal tickets away!

3. Sussex Bantam says:

Are these prices for one seat or two ?

• One seat

• Point collector says:

I guess I’m pushing my luck going for a standard seat for a premiership game if I’m an away fan (or I’d have to keep very quiet!). Do you think the emirates box would be more tolerant of an away fan?

• As long as you comply with the standard protocols – sit quietly, don’t have anything related to your team showing, do not celebrate when you score and obvious cheer for the opposition you will be fine. I’ve sat in the home end a few times when couldn’t get tickets in the away section and never had any trouble. If you go along and give it large someone will probably report you to a steward – and quite right too.

• Box is very tolerant because, as with all corporate hospitality, the guest have only a passing interest in what is going on. A lot don’t even bother taking their seats for the match and stay in the box (with the curtains down, as required by law due to alcohol being available).

4. Irritating.

Got 38,500 Emirates points. Need another 1,500 for a Hospitality package!

• have you got 1500 MR points? Problem solved 🙂

• mid-churn so 0 MR at the mo.

The lack of points has forced creativity (as always!) and meant that I’m off to see PSG play in Paris instead…

• Amex will sell you up to 10k for 1.5p each

• Presumably with OP mid-churn, they wont have an active MR account, perhaps best to buy skywards from emirates, SPG transfers aren’t instant I believe

5. Shoestring says:

Nobody knows what’s in your glass if it is clear (eg gin & tonic) or (say) orange juice based (eg vodka & orange).

6. OT – Ive got 92.5k SPG points that havent posted from my SPG Amex august bill and im running around in circles trying to sort this out. AMEX are saying they sent the points to my SPG account and SPG customer services say that i need to wait because there is a backlog but i get the feeling that they are saying that to get me off the phone. I combined my accounts few weeks ago. Has anyone else had problems? any tips?

• the streets says:

+1 i was told by AMEX that they were being credited to my old SPG account number and that they would merge it with my new SPG account number. but it could take up to two weeks..

• I haven’t merged my accounts yet, but I have only received 1/4 of the points that left AMEX so far…

• As of the end of August I have just over 1 million points that have left my SPG Amex account and not reappeared in my Marriott/Starwood account.

I also have 610k points that vanished when I merged my accounts.

No one at Marriott/Starwood seem to really have a clue what is going on. But the call centre staff have been quite honest that the merger has turned into an IT nightmare

7. Chris Cannon says:

Looking forward to Hamburger lol

8. Does anyone know if the number of tickets is capped for other teams (such as PSG or Milan?) to two? Thanks

9. Thank you. Had some Emirates miles that were about to expire. Swapped them for hospitality tickets against the mighty Vorskia Poltava, surely the prestige match of the season.

10. You can watch Özil earn 20 Million per year

• If your company had revenue of £500m per year, no real expenses except staff costs for 30 key employees and you were their top employee, how much would you ask for?

• Sussex Bantam says:

Think you might be pushing it a bit to describe Ozil as their “top employee” !!

• Rob I can’t believe you’re trying to justify Ozil’s outrageous salary of £350k a week. The guy is a serious waste of money and now we’re stuck with him! Asking for that kind of money is one thing but the club should never have been conned into accepting it. Wenger’s parting gift I suppose!

• Optimus Prime says:

Real Madrid’s best sale ever 😀

• Oh I agree with that, but as an ex-banker I ak obviously in favour of a model where all the company revenue flows directly to the staff without shareholders getting a penny!

• Lady London says:

Yes come to think of it Rob now that you mention, 20 million does seem a bit low.

A report I read a long while ago said that on average, as a group, investment bankers grab 40% of turnover of their bank into their own compensation…

11. FYI, tickets for Europa League group stage games are £10 or £20 for almost all seats in the stadium, and will go on General Sale, so might not be worth using points for those matches.