Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Has a 2nd Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher appeared in your Avios account?

I’ve had numerous emails from readers in recent days who have found a new upgrade voucher appearing in their avios.com account courtesy of their Lloyds Avios Rewards credit card.

If you didn’t get an email telling you it was there, it is worth checking anyway.  It will say:

Lloyds Bank Avios Rewards Upgrade Voucher
Valid from 29/09/2018
Expiry date 31/10/2019

It isn’t clear what is happening here, but it is a widespread situation.  My best guess is that this is part of the process of closing down the current cards.

Or, of course, it could be a mistake.

Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher

Lloyds was struggling to find a sensible plan which would allow them to close the cards.  They are being forcibly replaced with ‘next generation’ Mastercard-only Lloyds Avios Rewards credit cards which are substantially different from what you have now.

The new Lloyds Avios Rewards Mastercard will offer:

No annual fee

0.4 Avios per £1 you spend in the UK

0.8 Avios per £1 you spend outside the UK

0.4 Avios per £1 transferred on a balance transfer (this is a new benefit – Lloyds Duo Avios cardholders used to get Avios on balance transfers but Lloyds Avios Rewards cardholders did not)

….. plus an extra 25% bonus for Club Lloyds current account holders.

The bad news is:

There will no longer be a generous Amex card option

Overseas spending is no longer free – you will pay 2.99% on FX spend

There will no longer be an upgrade voucher

Because most cardholders will have their old card closed part-way through their membership year, it would be unfair to stop them getting a final upgrade voucher.

Lloyds may have decided that the cleanest thing to do is to give every cardholder their current year voucher.  It may also be a gesture towards Avios Rewards cardholders who are annoyed by the loss of 0% FX fees and the voucher.

Perhaps you should spend it quickly, though, just in case it is an error!

Comments (147)

• Jon says:

Just used both of my Lloyds vouchers on the phone for 2 bookings (Upgrade from Economy to Club Europe). They said that the additional one was issued in error, but they would honour them “on this occasion”

• Julian says:

That doesn’t seem at all fair to all those of us with this same card who didn’t get the accidentally issued second flight voucher. Either they give an extra one to all of us or they reverse their mistake but offer some token compensation of a few hundred Avios in my view. Time for an email to the CEO of Loyds Bank and BA me thinks.

Also those of us who did not get the voucher surely deserve a statement on how much longer we have left to earn one as the picture is now totally unclear with numerous customers (myself included) reporting just being charged another £24 annual fee for a card supposedly being replaced by a fee free Mastercard only product in mid November, which is now only a month away………….

• Shoestring says:

It’s so unfair, life keeps treating me so badly, not sure what I am doing wrong

• Rob says:

You’ll get a pro-rata fee refund and whatever the guaranteed minimum notice is (6-8 weeks?).

I was with Avios yesterday and there is some very interesting credit card stuff on the horizon for early 2019. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Jacqui says:

I’ve just received my latest statement and have been charged the £24 annual fee. I also received a separate letter increasing my credit limit from November. I’ve had nothing from Lloyds to say my account is closing as yet – puzzling.

• Julian says:

They also charged me a £24 fee in late August.

The very pleasant Zimbabwean lady on their dedicated product changes enquiry line in Basildon (so far the only person on that line I have encountered with any kind of significant brain power or empathy with the position of callers) indicated that she thought Lloyds might be having a rethink in terms of the future of the fee paying card and hence that the November product change deadline no longer applied.

She said those of us with the fee paying card(s) are the vast minority compared to the Legacy fee free card and it is only the fee paying card customers who are unhappy with the proposed changes for obvious reasons (loss of flight upgrade voucher and fee free foreign exchange plus major reduction in Avios earning rate for current Amex card purchases,

• JF says:

Strangely enough, I received the email TODAY advising of an upgrade award voucher!!