Bits: Last day for IHG’s UK Flash Sale, Hilton Garden Inn at Birmingham Airport opens, Blacklane 10x at Miles & More

News in brief:

Last day to book for IHG’s UK and Ireland Flash Sale

A quick reminder that today (Monday) is the last day to book in IHG’s short flash sale for Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Hotel Indigo and Staybridge Suites hotels in the UK and Ireland.

The rules are:

Book by midnight tonight, 8th October

Stay between 8th October and 28th February 2019

Discount is up to 25% off Best Available Rate

The booking page is here

You need to be an IHG Rewards Club member to book, but sign-up is free.

As these rates are non-refundable, it isn’t really fair to say it is a 25% discount.  You’d normally get 10% off compared to the Best Available Rate for booking a non-refundable room, so the additional discount will be nearer 15%.  Still better than nothing though!

Don’t forget to register for the Autumn IHG Rewards Club promotion as well.

The new offer is called Double Points Plus More.  It runs from 16th September to 16th December.  You earn double base points from your 2nd stay, up to a maximum of 15,000 bonus points.  There are additional personalised targets which could be worth a lot more.  This is my article on the Double Points Plus More offer.  You can register on the IHG site here.

The booking page for the UK and Ireland flash sale is here.

IHG UK flash sale

Hilton Garden Inn at Birmingham Airport now open

Hilton has opened a new Hilton Garden Inn at Birmingham Airport.

(How does a Garden Inn differ from a normal Hilton?  Having visited the Heathrow one a few times, I honestly have no idea.)

Important, this hotel is directly at the airport, next door to the passenger terminal.  No shuttle buses etc required.  It’s not going to win any architectural awards (see picture below) but apart from that it seems to be a great option.

I saw rates as low as £65 per night for November, although I can also see dates where it goes over £200!  In terms of convenience, however, you can’t go wrong.

It could also be a cheap option for visitors to Birmingham itself.  It is a short walk from Birmingham International railway station and there are very frequent trains into Birmingham New Street for the city centre.

The Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Airport website is here.

PS. Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham Airport UK

10 Miles & More miles per £1 / €1 / $1 with Blacklane

Chauffeur group Blacklane has extended its offer of 10 Miles & More miles per €1 / £1 / $1 spent on rides to the end of October.  Your ride can take place until the end of 2018 as long as the booking is made this month.

The company now operates in 300 cities in 60 countries and is particularly useful for airport rides.  We used them in Milan Linate in August and it was good to have the driver waiting at the gate with our name on a board.

If you are not interested in 10 Miles & More miles per £$€1, Blacklane also lets you earn airline miles with:

• Asia Miles (2 per £/$/€ spent)
  • Flying Blue (2 per £/$/€ spent)
  • Qatar Privilege Club (1 per £/$/€ spent)
  • Enrich (Malaysia Airlines) (2 per £/$/€ spent)
  • Singapore Airlines Krisflyer (2 per £/$/€ spent)

There is also a hotel partnership coming soon but I am sworn to secrecy on that.

You can save 10% on your first Blacklane ride with code SAVE10%.

Blacklane has a slightly odd way of entering promotional codes.  You will be presented with a page asking for your credit card details.  After you type them in, there is an additional screen which asks if you have a voucher code.  Add SAVE10% on that page and 10% is deducted from your quote.  Your card is not charged until after the ride and you can cancel until 1 hour before pick-up.

You can sign-up for a Blacklane account here.  Click on the Miles & More logo on their home page to see full details of the ’10 miles per £€$1′ offer.

Earn 9,000 Avios for a 3-day Avis weekend car rental!
Bits: Avios confirms you can keep your 2nd Lloyds upgrade voucher, Hyatt drops home rentals but Marriott expands

Comments

1. PointsChaser says:

OT
    I will be staying at the Conrad Centennial Singapore with my wife and booked their entry level room. Having a HH Gold card I was expecting breakfast to be included and an upgrade to the next category of room.

I just received an email from them inviting me to upgrade my room for SGD90 putting me on the executive floor with lounge access which includes buffet breakfast, food, drinks, etc.

On reading the fine print it appears my HH gold card only entitles me to a continental breakfast which took me by surprise. Is this applied only to Conrads or is it the continental breakfast the standard offering for all Hilton hotels gold card holders?

• Standard.

• Most hotels will give you full access to the breakfast buffet

• As Ian says, most hotels will not follow you around checking that you took a yoghurt but not a sausage, and so will let you have access to the breakfast buffet.

• Depends. Conrad St James were very insistent this time that it would be continental only. We aren’t cheats so we stuck to it. If they had not said anything then we would have assumed it was a free for all.

• It depends on the hotel – at the HGI you will get a cooked to order breakfast for you and a guest (or full buffet access as we found in Washington DC recently).

• Buffet at the two I have stayed; disappointing, I was hoping for the cooked to order.

• Just wanted to say that I absolutely loved the Conrad Centennial Hotel when we stayed there in Feb this year! Very convenient for public transport and your get access to FT online in the hotel (never seen another hotel offer this).

Sadly though, I cannot remember our exact booking details, so can’t help with your query…

• Genghis says:

As Gold, you’ll get breakfast in the main breakfast room, everything included. We stayed as Diamonds last year with little by way of upgrade. The lounge is nothing much to write home about IMO. However @Alan always get treated like royalty as Diamond. YMMV.

• PointsChaser says:

Thanks for the prompt replies.

2. O/T – All Amex offers have disappeared off both of my cards. Is anyone’s else seeing the same?

3. fivebobbill says:

Used the deal twice, once on my card, other on the wife’s. Both £600 totals were made up of multiple bookings. We both received a confirmation email within 24 hrs of meeting the target, and both had the £200 credited to our accounts within the week.

• Ok thanks.
      Will give it a few more days and then chase up CS although I suspect they’ll prob just tell me it can take up to 90 days after the end of the offer period…

4. Genghis says:

OT Checked into JWM Hong Kong today. I reported ages ago that I’d got confirmation from the hotel when Marriott Reward changes were announced that we’d still get lounge access with my Gold status. Well after a little discussion, “but you confirmed it; I wouldn’t have kept the reservation otherwise – I would have as it was a TP Reward cert” – blah blah… it was honoured so lounge access for full week now. Excellent outcome. I encourage those with similar confirmations to hold their ground. On another note, CX 359 J is a very impressive product.

• Do you know if flight manager was Kei by any chance?

• Genghis says:

No. Audrey IIRC. Had the status recognition thing.

• Kei is an old friend of mine from when I worked in London. He told me which flights were operated by the London-based crews and 359 rings a bell. He was always adament that service was better from the Londo crews. Hope you enjoyed your breakfast and have a nice day. Btw, after your suggestion I did find that restaurant with the ‘swearing name, thanks, will try it next summer.

• Thanks for OT.

Did you book this before the IT merger. Also did you book on points using your earn n burn principle.

• Some of us who had booked nonrefundable rates or redemptions before it became known we would lose free lounge/breakfast via amex platinum SPG Gold (hence Marriott) contacted the hotels in question requesting assurances that the benefits entitlement at time of booking would be honoured or we would cancel the reservation or seek a refund if necessary.

• Genghis says:

Booked before status merger using a travel package.

5. lgflyer says:

OT I remember reading here that BA was refunding non-refundable flights booked during the data breach period.
    I cancelled an avios redemption booked during that time, so got the avios back and wrote to BA to get them to refund the £35.
    I got a reply today: “Unfortunately, we’re unable to offer a full refund for your ticket and it must be refunded as per the fare rules. I understand this will be disappointing and I’m sorry we couldn’t meet your expectations on this occasion.”
    Anything I can do?

• Shoestring says:

I generally don’t accept answers like this as ending the matter.

HUACA is good advice, ie get a better response from somebody else.

Go senior – senior people don’t like dealing with sh!t like this, particularly if there’s precedent saying others have been compensated fairly in similar circs.

Ultimately £35 is a ridiculously small amount for a senior person their end not to say OK to, given the data breach.

As you may remember, I insisted on getting 5000 Avios back (each) on the cancelled F&B on RFS flights – I’d bought & paid for them in advance. Not so dissimilar to your £35. Mr Cruz (or his office) came up trumps, it was an obvious unfairness – whilst I fondly imagine Mr Cruz reading my case email and saying: zees Mr Shoestring ‘e ‘as a point, let them ‘ave zer 5000 Avios, we stoppa’d ‘im from ‘aving a cerveza and snecks on ‘ees RRRRRRRFS flights – it was probably all dealt with by a smart secretary.

• Not in this case because you are not cancelling on principle due to the breach (or, erm, trying to get out of a non-refundable booking you can no longer fly …..)

• Shoestring says:

Why wouldn’t OP just say they were cancelling due to data breach?

• lgflyer says:

Yes, I said I was cancelling due to the data breach.
          I have just sent them a reply threatening with legal action.
          Consumer Rights Act 2015, section 49(1) is mentioned in the email.

• Shoestring says:

49 Service to be performed with reasonable care and skill
          Every contract to supply a service is to be treated as including a term that the trader must perform the service with reasonable care and skill.

That’s the one 🙂

6. OT – can Harrods gift cards be used in the Apple substore?

• Yes, unless it has changed since May. Call the Apple Store and ask for up to date situation, that’s what I did and guy was helpful.

• Yes. It isn’t a sub store anyway, it is fully integrated into the tech department – at least it looks that way.

• awesome, thanks all