Bits: Lufty / SWISS Asia & Africa sale, £25 off Geneva & Zurich flights, Heathrow Express offering Amex cashback

News in brief:

Good Lufthansa / SWISS Business Class deals to Asia and Africa

Lufthansa and SWISS are offering some good Business Class fares from the UK to Asia for the next few days.

You need to book by 18th November.  A minimum stay of six days is required.  With a few exceptions for the Africa deals, you can book up to a year ahead.

You can depart from London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh or Glasgow.  You will be changing planes in Germany or Switzerland.  I also saw the occasional option on Austrian via Vienna.

Headline prices are:

• Hong Kong £1699 Business, £599 Premium Economy (in reality you can find fares for £1399)
  • Shanghai £1499 Business, £589 Premium Economy
  • Beijing £1699 Business, £649 Premium Economy
  • Mauritius £1799 Business, £999 Premium Economy
  • Addis Ababa £1349 Business, £549 Premium Economy
  • Delhi £1199 Business, £662 Premium Economy
  • Nairobi £1399 Business, £704 Premium Economy

The Lufthansa home page is here and the SWISS page is here.  Either site will show prices across Lufthansa, SWISS and Austrian.

I reviewed Lufthansa’s current Business Class seat recently – see here.  If you are travelling on your own, I would suggest using SWISS if you can because they have a lot of solo seats whilst Lufthansa is 2 x 2 x 2 throughout.

Lufthansa SWISS sale to Asia

£25 off SWISS flights to Geneva or Zurich

A reader who visited the London Ski Festival sent me a code being handed out which is worth £25 off any £100+ SWISS flight from the UK to Geneva or Zurich in Economy.

The code is swissukski25.

You need to book by 31st January 2019 for travel by 31st March 2019.

You need to book directly on the SWISS website here.

SWISS £25 discount code to Zurich Geneva

Get £10 cashback on Heathrow Express tickets

American Express has launched a new cashback deal with Heathrow Express.

It is showing on my British Airways Premium Plus card but not on any others.  Remember that you must click ‘Save to Card’ in order to register.

You get £10 back on a £35+ Heathrow Express purchase.  The deadline to use the deal is 29th January.  There is no guarantee that this works with cumulative purchases but it is worth a try if you are buying Heathrow Express tickets anyway.

(Some people will have a less attractive 10% or 15% cashback deal.)

Remember that you can also earn 10 Avios per £1 spent on Heathrow Express tickets if you use the heathrowexpress.com/avios landing page.  This is more attractive than the standard rewards offer of 1 Heathrow Rewards point per £1 spent.

Play Marriott’s ‘daily win’ game

Finally, don’t forget to click here to play the Marriott Rewards ’29 Ways To Stay’ daily win game today.  You should win at least 50, but hopefully more, Marriott Rewards points.

How to earn Avios or Virgin miles via a Tesco current account
Credit & Charge Card Reviews (6): HSBC Premier Mastercard

Comments

1. OT – Hilton seems to have launched a sale. I’ve been tracking a couple of hotels and prices have actually gone down in one or two of them.

• Now we can start believing in miracles 🙂

• Yes you are right. I booked a night 2 days ago and its dropped by £17 in December. Very annoying.

• Contact the hotel directly. In my experience they will generally agree to match the new price, or at least give you a credit for the difference to use during your stay.

• Graham Walsh says:

Just booked 4 rooms for next Feb. Saved about £50 per night on each. Plus a saving of £1.5k in total as someone else was about to book another place because it was cooler.

2. Georges says:

My Heathrow Express offer is different. 15% statement credit on a purchase of £35 or more but it is available on all 3 cards (BA, Gold and SPG)

3. OT (two days in a row). Has anyone managed to get access to the Aer Lingus lounges in LHR and DUB using BA Gold status with just the in-app virtual card?

A few years ago I tried it and was told I needed the physical card (so I just went to the Plaza Premium instead as I had my PP card).

I have no idea where my BA card is as I never need to use it when I’ve been flying BA or other oneworld carriers.

• Would your ticket alone not suffice, given that it states your status on there?

• You wouldn’t have any status listed on an aer Lingus ticket as they’re not part of Oneworld. I wonder if they’d accept the bag tags from BA although I don’t think they have expiry dates on them

4. js54156 says:

with Curve, the amex spending requirement for bonus can be much more easily triggered..there are still ways to do manufacture spending

5. Ot £200 off £600 spend on Amex Travel

Booked some hotels on Saturday (non FHR/HC), got an email about triggering the offer, but I haven’t been charged for them. Both pending transactions have disappeared from my statement.

Should I ring? Would be a shame to miss out on £400 in credits.

• If you got the email, you should be fine. Wait for a bit…

• Hi
      About to book a hotel to trigger the offer.
      Not quite sure how Amex travel processes a free cancellation purchase.
      Do they charge and then refund if cancel,ex.Kaligo,or they will charge you at the date the free cancellation expires?
      Was your a free cancellation or advanced purchase?

• They won’t charge you at all. The hotel will charge you at check-out as usual. It therefore won’t trigger the £200.

• That’s the case only for the Hotel Collection and FHR, no?

• Those are two examples but not necessarily all. Easy to check anyway by doing the booking and seeing if Amex asks for money!

• AndyGWP says:

Likewise bought flights and they were pending then vanished. Waited a few more days tho and they appeared… a further few days letter and the credit hit

Worked out the same price to buy PE as it would have cost for E so quite happy ????

• It took mine about 11 days to show properly on my account and for the £200 to be credited. Mine vanished from the account too.

6. O/T but a little reminder…

It’s the last day to use premium economy upgrade vouchers from MBNA/VM credit cards with 25% off economy reward seat sale….

7. @ shoestring
    Harry, may I suggest some holiday reading Shakespeare’ All’s well that ends well.

• Shoestring says:

Yep I never said never, just wanted confirmation 🙂

• Shoestring says:

So essentially the system can do it, just need to find the agents who are going to help you achieve target 1

• So … Much ado about nothing last couple of days 🙂

• Shoestring says:

Though this be madness, yet there is method in’t

• All part of the fun, this is the good stuff, not the unchallenging tedium of 29 Ways.

• Shoestring says:

Better ask xcalx for a tip BJ

• Harry, talking of tips, have you found those Tesco peaches at 0p yet? I told you about them months ago; the answer is staring you in the face and that is the last tip I’m giving you 🙂

• Bah humbug it is not 🙂

• Shoestring says:

A woman was arrested for shoplifting.
          Standing before the Judge, she was asked, ” What did you steal?”
          “A can of peaches,” she replied.
          The Judge then asked her why she had stolen them.
          “I was hungry,” she said.
          The Judge then asked her how many peaches were in the can.
          She replied, “6”.
          The Judge then said, “Then, I will give you 6 days in jail.” But before the judge could actually pronounce the sentence, the woman’s husband spoke up and asked the Judge if he could say something.
          “What?” said the Judge.
          The husband said, “She also stole a can of peas.”

• 🙂 not so bad, my partner would have claimed I stole a bag of rice!

• Andrew M says:

So that may have been the last tip for Harry. Now where’s mine? 🙂

• Every piece of the jigsaw has been covered on HFP at some point, no new knowledge is required! I am reluctant to share it as I believe some of our legal experts might argue exploiting it could be fraudulent, and for that reason I have refrained from exploiting it myself. Discovered it by accident so nothing smart about it, verified it once and never used it again.

• Tescococo says:

Another tip for us dummies?

8. ScienceTeacher says:

OT: Anybody know if Lloyds Avios cards treat a payment to a Brighton based company through Curve as a cash advance? Cheers!

• If you don’t get an answer try a small payment to check. Somebody commented on this sibce tge changes but I forget what they said.

• No. You can pay it. No worries. Can pay anyone with curve. They all know they can charge u bit none will. Sweet as..

• So, when Curve will take Amex again, will I be able to pay the said Brigthon company with the Amex I have linked to my Curve card? 😀