Bits: Flybe drops its credit card – and should we buy the airline?!, new BA Lyon ski flights, Marriott’s new Bankside Hotel

News in brief:

Flybe pulls its credit card from the market for new applicants

Has the curse of Head for Points struck again?!  At a credit card conference in February I explained why – from the point of view of the issuer – the Hilton Honors Visa card had the worst balance between sign-up bonus and long-term rewards of any card on the market.  Within a week, Hilton had pulled it.

This Tuesday, I gave over a full article to the Flybe credit card and why I didn’t find it very exciting.  You agreed in your comments.  Yesterday Flybe pulled the card from the marketThe marketing page is still on the website but at the bottom it says “We are no longer accepting new applicants.”

I am assuming it was nothing to do with me!  This is actually good news if it means a more rewarding, possibly Avios-driven, Flybe-branded credit card will appear in the future.

And should we buy the airline?!

Following another dismal trading statement last week, the market capitalisation of Flybe had dropped to just £24m yesterday morning.  There is, of course, a lot of debt in there as well which explains the low figure.

However, £24m is worrying low.  It is a strange state of affairs that, if we had a whip around amongst Head for Points readers, we could buy the airline.  We have enough London-based investment bankers, entrepreneurs and hedgies amongst the readership to get the money together!

I should probably clarify for the purposes of Stock Exchange rules, since I spent 16 years in my previous life putting together deals like this, that I have no intention of doing so 🙂 but it simply goes to show what a parlous state the airline is in.

Flybe for sale?

British Airways adds new Lyon ski service from Gatwick

British Airways is launching a new Gatwick to Lyon route this winter to complement the existing Heathrow service.

Flights will operate on Saturdays and Sundays between 15th December and 21st April.

Cash and Avios tickets are now available.  Importantly, peak date ski season seats are available for Avios if you jump in today with the usual 2 x Club Europe and 4 x Euro Traveller on each flight.

Bankside Hotel launches as part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection

There is a new luxury Marriott option in London – the Bankside Hotel.

If you’re a Londoner you will be familiar with the shockingly oversized One Blackfriars tower which now dominates the South Bank (see above). At the base of the tower, but in a separate sister building, is the Bankside Hotel.

It has just opened and is part of Marriott’s Autograph Collection.  This means that you can earn and redeem Marriott Rewards points there as well as enjoy various status benefits.

Marriott is weak on upscale modern properties in London and this is a welcome addition.  The hotel website is here if you want to find out more.

Earn 750 free Avios for signing up with e-Rewards
Credit & Charge Card Reviews (7): HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

Comments

1. Shoestring says:

O/T Black Friday = 4th Friday in November.

There’s usually a good Priority Pass deal.

• Thought Black Friday was the day after thanksgiving which is the 3rd Thursday in November or is that just in the US

2. Not sure of mentioned before, but

Amex Plat offer on my card (new today) 8% off at Sainsburys

3. I only got 5% – on the Gold Charge.

BTW that reminds me – when I upgrade to the Platinum (waiting for 10k MR to post) will my saved offers be retained?

4. js54156 says:

OT — found my IHG account hacked a week ago, and 70k points were redeemed for hotel reservations..anyone have had similar experiences before?

• Not unknown with IHG given their pathetic attempt at passwords (eg four numbers).

• Genghis says:

But might be time to start using AwardWallet?

• js54156 says:

Actually I realized that the account might be compromised when I failed to add it to AwardWallet. Luckily I got my points back, but someone had already successfully stayed 3 nights with my points. Wondering why the hotel didn’t carefully check the identity of the guest when check-in

5. OT: just had BA delay my flight cancellation compensation as they need a signed confirmation letter from my 2 yr old child in order to comply with GDPR.

Am I seriously supposed to get her to sign and send in a letter from her?

• Shoestring says:

Email the CEO[‘s office]

• Lady London says:

Nearly as good as when British Airways tried to offload Rob’s 2-year old child (on his own) off a flight and into a hotel room in the Middle East!!!

Clearly the concept of intelligent customer service has some way to go to be brought back at BA 🙂

Write back and say you are your 2-year-olds’ parent and guardian and therefore would also have authority to do a moneyclaim in the courts on your child’s behalf if they don’t pay up completely for everyone involved including your two year old, within 14 days

• Write (type) a letter and get the child to “sign” it using a handprint. The more faecal looking/smelling the handprint the better!

6. OT Anyone else experiencing issues paying off their Lloyds Avios card? Seems that their card gateway is down. Tried with Chrome and FF. And you can’t use the iOS App to pay it off either.

• How do you pay it off? I thought the only two option were cash in branch or BT?

• ? You can pay it online with a debit card.

• CountryKerry says:

How?

• Graham Walsh says:

Just log into your Lloyd account and you’ll see Pay Credit Card option on the right hand side. Think it’s below View Statements.

• Lloyds payment working online now but get this. Looks like another loophole closed 🙁 Had this in October and still there!!!

Sorry, you can’t make any more debit card payments this calendar month because you have exceeded the maximum number of payments or amount paid. Please try again next month or choose a different way to pay.

7. OT anyone managed to link curve card to pay virgin credit card

• Yes. I use Tesco credit card for treble dips!

• when you linked my curve card online what card name did you give it or did you ring up

• I tired but failed with curve and virgin card

• Same here. Curve failed on Virgin Money Website. Worked out I could use a Revolut Virtual Card, but unsure where to top up from.

• Curve card I hit there 50k spend but was told in future they will reset the spend this time only but in future I will not allowed to use curve card to pay credit card bills and they will be monitoring it its meant for everyday use

8. OT (bits) – two interesting offers on my Amex Plat:
    – 5% back (up to £30) on a qualifying transaction at Sainsbury’s by 29/11; first 45,000 cardholders
    – £5 back on £30 spend via PayPal by 9/12; first 4,500 cardholders.

9. Shoestring says:

30 days to go. You only have the rest of November to use your IB 90K points or lose them December 1st.

I need to sort a couple of flights out myself – shame I can’t get my wife to commit to summer hols dates 2019 and 2 of my kids (already pushing 14 & 16) want to dovetail with her flights out to the place in the sun & spend a bit of time in the summer with their mates here in Cornwall, which we’ll allow now they’re old enough to be let loose. So whilst I’ll go out with son #1 for 6 or even 7 weeks continuous, they’ll all 3 be doing something like 2x 2 weeks. If only they could give me the dates.

If you transferred your IB 90K points to BAEC & have no intention of redeeming them on IB, I suggest you shut down your IB a/c.

• Margaret says:

You can’t shut an Iberia account down without asking Iberia to do it (and check the account)

10. Wally1976 says:

Does anyone else have a nasty feeling that we’re spending time doing the Marriott “29 days” competitions but we’ll never actually see any points??