IHG

Fare alert: BA Amsterdam to Cape Town (Club World) for £1,113 return in Dec / Jan / Feb / March

For some reason, Club World flights from Amsterdam to Cape Town are selling for €1275 (£1113) return on ba.com at the moment.

The ONLY dates I can find going out at this price during peak season are Thursday 6th December, Monday 10th December, Tuesday 11th December, Sunday 6th January, Thursday 10th January, Thursday 24th January, Thursday 21st February and Thursday 28th February.  There is more in March – 5th, 6th, 7th, 9th etc.

Christmas Day outbound is available for an extra €300.  This is the only cheap day over the festive period.

Coming back, there is a lot more flexibility.

British Airways Cape Town deals

You might be able to get the price down further by using BA Holidays, although this won’t be possible if your trip involves a Comair connection between Johannesburg and Cape Town.  Find a cheap date where the flights work and then plug the same dates into the BA Holidays website here and see if adding a car or hotel brings the price down further.

Here is a screenshot showing €1,275 return in Business Class (click to enlarge):

British Airways deal to Cape Town

Remember that you MUST fly to Amsterdam to pick up the first leg, otherwise your entire booking will be cancelled. Coming back, if you are on hand baggage you won’t – as a one-off offender – have any issues if you skip out at Heathrow. This won’t work if you have a checked case however.

Get an 8th birthday bonus from Shangri-La Golden Circle
Bits: Virgin launching new 1-2-1 Upper Class seating?, new BAEC benefits at Twickenham

Hilton

Comments

1. The Urbanite says:

OT – I transferred some Clubcard points to BAEC today and got this email

We wanted to take the time to say “thank you” for turning your Tesco Clubcard points into Avios.

For every Clubcard point you collected on spending before 18 October 2018, we’re giving you a bonus 20% Avios, helping you get one step closer to your next holiday. Don’t forget you can use your Avios towards a part-payment of your next flight, or cabin upgrade.

Plus, for every £5.00 worth of points turned into Avios you’ll receive 2 entries into our prize draw to win an unforgettable holiday to Durban, including 2 return flights, airport transfers and a 7-night stay at a choice of 4* hotels. So, your next trip really could be closer than you think.

• I transferred £14.00 worth of CC vouchers a few days back to my BAEC, I had an email today about the prize entry, but I’ve not received one confirming the % bonus. Hmmm… My CC vouchers avios have been posted too, double hmmm…

• I have still not received my Xmas Saver vouchers as there was no record of my £360 top-up. I have sent them the CC receipt and they are now ‘investigating’

…I think it may have happened because after topping up, I changed the account default back to ‘vouchers’. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

• Yes. Mistake on our part. I did exactly the same. If you go on your points history you will find the payment. I’ve just had a letter through yesterday with a gift card. They’ve basically refunded the money. No bonus, no Christmas savers vouchers and if you read the t&cs it does tell you about this. Miffed!

• Simon j says:

I’ve received the same email but I can’t see small print for competition-permitted travel dates and which 4 hotels can the winner choose from. Also which class of travel are the flights? I assume Y and sadly I don’t think I could convince the other half to do South Africa in Y.

• They really want people to go to Durban at the moment!

2. Is CPT 140 tier points each way? So bronze status gained in one trip? Assuming you fly the leg back to Amsterdam of course

3. I’m looking on the screen at the moment –
    EUR 1268.75 for flights AMS-LGW-CPT return out on 1st Dec, back on 17th Dec
    Also worth noting that these flights will earn 25,878 Avios (for a silver member)

I didn’t realise BA flew LGW-CPT, but its tempting. . .

4. Actually it ties in well with another bargain holiday:
    To be fair you do actually get to the South Pole and you do see the Emperor penguins for £63,870 . .

• If anyone wants to sponsor me, I’m in!

• Peter K says:

It’d be another ticked off the continents visited list… ????

• Shoestring says:

I’m not going to Africa.

Morocco & Red Sea excepted!

• Peter K says:

I’ve heard Ethiopia is worth a visit ????

• Shoestring says:

Cultured place, safe these days! They’ll probably still kill you for $50 if you go to the wrong part of town so I’ll stick to the best continent in the world Europe and my SE Asia fave places & Aus/NZ

• RollingEyes says:

A whole bunch of stabbings in London the other day which were free. I wonder how safe Europe looks using your logic .

• Harry the offensive OAP bigot strikes again!!!!!! How many times have you changed your name now????? Woe betide you.

Hear hear, @RollingEyes.

5. For those with checked bags might be worth considering coming into LHR and then flying out of LGW to return to AMS, would enable you to try out a different galleries lounge et al.

6. The Original Nick says:

I found last night AMS – BKK return with BA for most of March-April for around £1200 but forgot to post in bits.

7. Slightly OT – am I right in thinking that for BA cash bookings through the BA website there is a 24hr cooling off period with no charge for cancellations?

Thanks!

8. If you have bags simply book a long layover (up to 24hours at LHR) or choose to route LGW AMS if that is allowed. I have never had an issue with short shipping my bags.

9. I’m looking at LHR > JNB later this month and prices have rocketed. I did find going via OTA and the price is 1/2. Why do they (BA/Virgin) think they can charge so much directly?

• Richard says:

Because people will pay for a direct flight to SA when it makes the difference between a jet-lag free 11 hour overnight flight vs. a three hour stop in the middle of the night (especially if travelling for business or a short getaway).

JNB and CPT direct are very lucrative routes for BA and they know how to price them.

• SA is probably the worse route to do indirectly via the Middle East vs direct, especially as flights are overnight with minimal time difference. I did a weekend break in Cape Town once – with no jet lag and the chance for 8 hours sleep both ways it is easy.

• Richard says:

It’s the perfect length too. At 11.5hrs or so you can have the first two hours for a nice meal, then 8 hours of sleep and then at least 45 mins to do breakfast before the cabin is locked down for descent.