BA sale

Loganair launches new Edinburgh routes for Summer 2019

Loganair, the airlines which primarily serves the Highlands and islands of Scotland, has announced new routes from Edinburgh for next Summer.

Edinburgh to Bergen – 3 x weekly, starting 9th May

Edinburgh to Guernsey – 1 x weekly, starting 11th May (Summer only)

Edinburgh to Islay – 7 x weekly, starting 31st March

Edinburgh to Stavanger – 4 x weekly, starting 10th May

Loganair Barra

With the possible exception of Islay, I doubt these routes will form part of Loganair’s codeshare deal with British Airways.  If Islay is codeshared, you will be able to book tickets from London to Islay, via Edinburgh, with BA flight numbers (and tier points and Avios) throughout.

The photograph below shows the famous route to Barra, where the aircraft lands on the beach and the flights times are adjusted weekly to fit around the tides.  This is still on my bucket list.

You can find out more on the Loganair website here.

Book now - Hilton has launched its Winter Sale for weekend stays into mid-2019
Good Lufthansa business class deals from Paris to Australia

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Harry Hv says:

Those fares to Australia work from anywhere in France or Italy. But there are equally good fares from Scandinavia on SQ and EY

2. Got an email about a Eurostar sale, which may help Londoners or those on the Midland Main Line to get to Paris

3. OT – £10 back when you spend £40 at Virgin Trains has just appeared on my Plat. First 40,000 to register, spend by 08 Feb.

• 3% off every time at Trainline on mine. They seem to sell season tickets now too.

Would rather have had the £10 off £40 as I already get 20% off all advance tickets on Virgin Trains when booking direct.

4. I haven’t won for 8 straight days on the Marriott game! 🙁 Not even 50!

5. OT – wondering if there are any ‘all inclusive’ types of hotel redemptions (or half board)? Any tips?

6. Wildly O/T (apologies!), but still in the realms of *A — UPGRADES ON SWISS ON SHORT-HAUL:

Does anyone have experience of upgrading Swiss revenue flights from economy to J paying cash? More specifically, would anyone know if there is a tried-and-trusted pattern for the price volatility of such upgrades, with particular emphasis on close-in upgrades, i.e. from roughly 2 weeks out up until the date of departure?

I ask simply as the price of a one-way upgrade from LHR-ZRH had been £71.00 for several weeks. Then, about five days ago, it went up to £85.00. Then, until today, for the last two days it had shot up to £117.00. Today it is back to £85.00.

As a result, I just wondered whether there might be a reliable pattern when it comes to Swiss upgrades and whether the cheapest £71.00 upgrade cost might return, say, within 48 hours of departure or something like that? Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you. 🙂

• Concerto says:

You’ve got to do it during the initial booking process to get the best prices, otherwise it’s tricky to do. I once got LGW-GVA for GBP32 and it was not worth it, really NOT. It was Economy class service from about 12 years ago.

• Many thanks, Concerto. That’s very handy to know. All the best. 😉

• Lady London says:

But unlike BA, if you buy the upgrade do you get points at the higher class rate perhaps?

7. Brighton Belle says:

If you haven’t done the Barra landing you must. Extraordinary stepping off the plane steps into the sand and salty puddles. The baggage carousel is rack outside. Best not expect a hefty luggage allowance. Can’t be many airline routes in this security mad time that the pilot steps out the cockpit, does the safety briefing and then returns to his seat and the door is still open. I did this trip and took the buses and linked ferries from the South up to Stornaway. On the bus you get a sense of local life and the endeavour needed to trek by bus for 10 miles from your croft to the single hardware store to buy a pack of screws. In 3 days I got a mobile phone signal for just a few hours near airports. But I am on Three which is hopeless in the Uk but brilliant outside it.

• Agreed it’s a great trip to do once in your lifetime, Rob. I did it a couple of years ago and caught the bus from/to the airport. Castlebay Hotel is the best on the island but don’t expect too much. Barra is incredibly quiet but I couldn’t get any mobile signal at all either. As everything has to be imported, it’s very expensive but it’s worth the trip to be in the aircraft as it roars off across the beach to take off.

• RussellH says:

I worked in Barra for almost a year (1 school year Aug 1980 to June 1981), but never had any reason to use a plane – always took my car on the ferry. I watched a landing once.
        Interesting how things change – I would never have even considered the Castlebay Hotel as somewhere to stay, but it was probably the most popular drinking hole – even though ‘hole’ was not totally inappropriate.
        I do wonder how it has changed since then. Social attitudes were not that dissimilar to the west of Ireland at that time, but Ireland has since changed massively

• Genghis says:

For the return flight, we rocked up at the airport about 25 mins before the flight, checked in and then even had enough time for a hot smoked salmon sandwich from the caf before boarding. How flying should be…

• The last sentence captures the essence of it!

8. Stephen C says:

Anyone know if the points from the Marriott game will extend the points expiry date?

• I don’t think so. I did a purchase through the Marriott MORE shopping portal the other day – but it is closing on 15/11. Not many options to choose from but hopefully reset points for another 2 years.

9. OT. If my Mrs is staying in a Marriott for work (in the US), can I book it under my name and add her as the other person staying there? Then she checks in alone and says I will be along later? (I prob wont bother joining her)

• Should be OK, yes. I have done this numerous times for Anika on HFP trips and obviously she doesn’t even share my surname.

10. Scallder says:

OT – anyone else in the situation where on the Amex account for your SPG card (both app and website) the amounts of points earned isn’t showing anywhere on the page? Trying to figure out whether it’s just a glitch on my wife’s account or something wider given the issues with points transferring across?

11. O/T: Interesting letter through the post yesterday from Amex. The terms of their £200 off £600 spend were not clear that the transactions had to be in one batch. Called customer services and they have posted a £200 credit to my account. Nice touch! Completely unexpected.

• Genghis says:

I got one too saying that due to a glitch an offer credit wasn’t correctly applied to my (now cancelled) account. No other details. I’m intrigued now to receive the statement through the post.

• Roberto says:

I spent my £602 over two seperate hotel bookings and got the £200 back with no problem.

• Agreed, the terms weren’t clear, I was told multiple times that it needed to be a single transaction.

However, it did trigger immediately from multiple transactions on the first card I used it for. On the second card there was no email to say it had triggered, but once I queried in chat a week later they said it had been triggered and I received the credit next day. I think it was working initially but recently it’s not been triggering correctly, either way worth chasing them if you haven’t received a credit after a week.

• The interesting bit was my spend was only actually less than the £600 limit. Strange but i’ll take it.