Marriott"

BOOK NOW: 108 new IHG PointBreaks hotels for just 5,000 to 15,000 points (some decent!)

IHG Rewards Club (the Holiday Inn, HI Express, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc group) has just published its new list of heavily discounted PointBreaks redemptions.

You can book these hotels for stays until 28th February.

These hotels are bookable NOW via ihg.com.  Popular hotels will use up their allocation of reduced price rooms quickly, so book soon if you are interested.  As with all IHG Rewards Club reward nights, you can cancel without penalty at any time and get your points back.

(EDIT: If you are reading this on Tuesday via our emails, some of the best deals may have gone.  If rooms are pricing up at the standard points rate for stays before 28th February, this is why.)

(EDIT 2:  I was having issues with some of the links if using Chrome, but Edge was fine. Very odd.  If you have issues try opening the page in a different browser.)

PointBreaks has changed …..

Historically all PointBreaks rooms cost a flat 5,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night.

This was a great deal, except for the teeny tiny fact that the selection of hotels had been getting progressively worse for the last couple of years.  If you were looking for a good deal in a major tourist centre then you were going to be disappointed – although it was handy if you wanted a weekend break in Doncaster.  This has now changed.

The 108 hotels on the list below are priced at between 5,000 and 15,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night.  In general the quality of hotels included has gone up since the 5,000 point cap was removed, although at the end of the day it always depends on how the list fits around your travel plans.

What are the highlights?

Not surprisingly the better deals are at the 15,000 points level.

Booking

PointBreaks availability is limited so book ASAP if you are interested.

You can book via the IHG PointBreaks page here or via the standard booking page here.

You are able to book these hotels for dates up to 28th February.

You allowed a maximum of two bookings per individual hotel. Each booking can be for as many nights as you want.  Remember that if you attempt to amend your booking later by dropping a night or two the whole booking may reprice at the full rate.

Click through the link to learn more about any specific hotel:

HOTELS AT 15,000 POINTS:

MARYLAND
Crowne Plaza Baltimore Dwntn Inner Harbor

MASSACHUSETTS
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Great Barrington – Lenox Area

PENNSYLVANIA
Crowne Plaza Philadelphia – King of Prussia
Holiday Inn Express Grove City (Outlet Center)

HOTELS AT 10,000 POINTS:

SHANDONG, MAINLAND CHINA
Holiday Inn Express Yantai YEDA

UNITED STATES:

TEXAS
Candlewood Suites Mount Pleasant
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Bonham

Bits: New Marriott Rewards name leaked?, more Kimpton / Voco UK openings, DoubleTree Westminster lounge closure
Cyber Monday deals update - FULLY UPDATED LIST inc new Blacklane code, Melia points back, CN Traveller back

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. No Saturday nights in Edinburgh at all and no Friday nights in December……boo hoo

2. Purely to boast, I’ve had a right result!

Yesterday, I was due to book a February weekend away at the Liverpool docks Holiday Inn Express for £240 for 2 nights – but decided to hold off for the list.

Just got exactly what i needed for 20k points! Lovely

3. Bariummeal says:

Perfect, in Brussels wed to Friday with work and finish it off with Antwerp for the weekend 15k a night instead of 194 euros. Thank you!

4. [email protected] Rob: using chrome across three devices. No problems so far as I can tell.

5. OT: How long does points from IHG Creation card to your Creation account take? My bill date was 21 Nov and it still has not posted.

• Same for me too. Normally post on statement date, but not received this month’s yet. If December points are late posting I could fall short of hitting Spire threshold.

• I registered for the card in August this year and so far no points have been transferred to me! I have contacted via the website but there has no reply after over a week. Looks like I will have to call them.

• ankomonkey says:

Mine tend to appear in my IHG account within 24 hours of statement posting. I had my points last week as expected.

• Ours usually post within 48 hours but not always (including this month) & the t & c’s do say it can take up to 5 business days. Since IHG is predominantly a US company perhaps the Thanksgiving holiday last week is causing a delay or am I just being generous?!

• HH points are taking ages this month to migrate from the HH visa.

• Hilton website been even worse than usual recently, been taking over a week for points to post from stays.

• Sididdly says:

HH Points took over a week after the upgrade but two stays I had with Sunday and Monday checkout this weekend posted next day. Both less than 24 hours after checkout.

6. Slightly OT, but I’ve been trying to get the Ambassador deal on the IHG website, but can’t get it to work. Tried several different credit cards, but the page just comes back without confirmation, and substituting my membership number for my credit card number. Anyone else having the same problem? Or a solution?

7. Intercon Phu Quoc absolute bargain at 15K

• “only” 35k points normally, but still a good deal if you can get there at short notice!

• A little awkward to get to though, have to take a domestic connection or there are some limited flights from KL, Bangkok etc.

I’ve also heard very mixed reviews about Phu Quoc – sounds like it is really suffering from over-development and over tourism already & doesn’t have much to offer outside of the hotels

At that time of year I’d head to Phuket or similar personally, plenty of deals to be had for cash outside of the peak dates around CNY etc

• I’ve heard the same. We went four years ago for a week when there were only a few choices for decent hotels. We had a great time just relaxing. The sights of the island can be seen in a day though – old prison, fish sauce factory, pick up some peppercorns – and food options not as good as rest of Vietnam. Still I’d like to go back.

• I went to phu Quoc in Feb this year (to the Marriott). Hotel was lovely but i don’t think I’ve ever been to a place less ready for tourism. Extremely difficult to find anywhere to eat out there as well, nice hotel but not my cup of tea.

• Just got back from 5 nights there at 35k points, which I was happy with. I agree 15k points a night is a bargain. Hotel is a little isolated as they are currently building all round there. But the facilities were fantastic, great rooftop bar, pool and beach. Would go back tomorrow at 15k a night.

• Jeremy I says:

We’re headed to the Marriott Phu Quoc on Monday. Direct flights once a week from Gatwick on Tui. Am a little apprehensive given some negative comments on the island but the hotel sounds very special.

• Can you buy flight only on TUI which is not part of a package?

• Booked the dates we needed (minus one) last night. 6 nights for 90,000 IHG points. Bargain. Thanks Rob for highlighting.

8. As an aside – seems Dubai market may be a little “soft” for next year – if you keep your eye out there are rooms being dumped onto Amona and the likes – got my dad a couple of nights on the palm with breakfast for 100 quid a night end-Jan and I’ve seen some good prices on secret escapes for Hyatt . No points of course but at those prices cannot complain

• It is very soft, I had this discussion with Ritz Carlton when I was in Ras recently.

• Wonder why?

• I don’t wonder why. I have always refused to go there due to lack of humaj rights and respect for people with different religions, woman, LGBT people and so on.
        I know Rob and I have a different view on this.

• Shoestring says:

Whilst I don’t doubt your objections & their validity, there are many examples that show the real people of the countries we condemn (for their politicians) are actually normal, nice people just like us.

Think about the fantastic PR coup of the Russian World Cup this year. Anybody who travelled there and met the locals had a brilliant time. White Russians (& I only say that because I don’t know much about the more Eastern Russians) are Europeans just like us and perfectly friendly & welcoming.

Take Iran – the real Iranians are very hospitable & love playing the host & showing off the best aspects of their country. I think it’s true of much of the world. (Possibly not that Andaman island!)

Whilst I hated living in Qatar for 6 months (it was bloody awful), some of the best ‘local’ aspects were the genuine friendliness of the real Qataris, their arrogance put to one side for a moment.

It’s the politicians who are to blame.

• @Shoestring

Even Brits, French and Germans sometimes can be nicer and less arrogant than their leaders 🙂

9. Great if your Chinese or visiting remote parts of China!

Not a single EU, north, Central American hotel at 5000 points on the list I saw yesterday, though I note the inclusion of two Texas hotels above. Pretty poor from IHG who have clearly decided that the Chinese market is what they need to focus on.

I stick with Hilton!

10. “I am stunned to see anything in the UAE available during peak holiday periods.”
    You won’t catch me ever visiting the UAE given recent events.

• BlueHorizonuk says:

If you aren’t a spy then not sure what the issue is.

• +1

• BlueHorizonuk says:

It’s not like they jail thousands of brits each year for spying. This was a one-off case meaning there was a lot more to the story than what the government and/or media have been saying about it.

• Whether he was guilty or not, a fair trial is a human right – and I’m generally involved in prosecutions!

• For fair comparison, what do people see the plus points of visiting?

• Shoestring says:

Well it’s not the sightseeing or history/ culture. Nothing to see.

I guess it’ll mostly be guaranteed heat & sun out of European season, pool, beach if you look hard, quality international food, decent hotels, souk & shopping, not as far to go as somewhere better such as Thailand.

Fwiw I’ve been & would never dream of returning given numerous other superior options. Horrible, stifling place – but if you want a hotel holiday in the sun, fair enough, horses for courses.

• Astonishingly high quality hotels, guaranteed good weather, world class eating and shopping, short and cheap flights from the UK, excellent beaches, desert adventure trips, exceptionally practical for kids (excellent healthcare, huge hypermarkets selling UK brands of baby milk, nappies etc), silly stuff like the dancing fountains / ski slopes, 100% English speaking. You can begin to add to that world class museums and some decent theatre / opera (eg La Perle in Dubai).

• Some good golf courses too

• You do it once, and that’s it! It is a boring place: you may have the most amazing infrastructure, shopping malls… bla bla bla… but if a place lacks interesting things to do… you go once, and that’s it. And it is also very fake, no charm, no nothing, nada.

• Shoestring says:

@Will – I think you might qualify that. Isn’t it mostly sand with a bit of grass thrown in around teeing off & the 18 holes?

• Thanks I have not been and was curious.

• @marcw The beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The same applies to “interesting”, so subjective.
          Rob provided a good bunch of reasons – all perfectly valid (at least for 1 or 2 trip for definite)

• Shoestring says:

Raffles – istr you have good family reasons to go, ie visiting the rellies. If those reasons didn’t exist – and you weren’t going for business reasons – would UAE even figure in your holiday destination plans ever again?

• We went before we had the kids and before the rellies moved. If you only have a week off it is far easier than Asia, say, where you are on Day 3 before the jet lag clears. No reason to go for longer than 5-6 days though.

• Excellent beaches? Really?

11. Slightly OT: I need to book a few different hotels in different brands (Hilton, Marriot, IHG) for stays at the end of Jan. When do the chains release their points bonuses for around then? If it’s in the next week or 2 I can hold off from booking.

Thanks

• What do you mean by bonuses? Hilton have got a bonus offer on buying points until mid December, I’m not aware if they ever do “sales” of points nights? (It would be great if they did, I have 3 nights in NYC in May and there’s nothing for less than 70,000 per night).

• I’m guessing he’s meaning the different promos most chains have on? IHG (sometimes) and Accor (almost always) have requirements to book after a certain date but Hilton (and ?Marriott) pretty much always honour them for existing bookings too.

• That would make sense! I think Hilton might have one at the moment, I recall signing up for something recently.

• Yes they’re doing double base points just now, although very slow to post after IT merger!

• Lady London says:

You could book something flexible and then rebook if a promotion you like comes along?

12. These two Japanese places (apart from Hiroshima) made me do a lot of googling as I never heard of them before. Now I have a new place on my bucket list for my next trip to Japan – Matsuyama.

PS Warsaw Indigo hotel is a must – well located and the building/decor are amazing, stayed there with my partner in Aug 2017

• Matsuyama (and Shikoku) is a nice play for your maybe third/forth trip to Japan. Not many tourists, nice hikes (the most important pilgrimage route is there), onsen, a little bit slow to navigate with public transport though.
      I have enjoyed it.

• I have been four times to Japan already, but hopefully it will still be good for the fifth trip? 😉 thanks for insights, it looks exactly like a place my partner and I would like to visit

13. How about that IC Medellin?
    I will be there in February and wonder if it is too far away, safe area, still suitable for a holiday, etc…