BE QUICK: Get 5,000 FREE IHG Rewards Club points (worth £20) for sharing a photo

IHG Rewards Club has launched a new promotion, Home With IHG, which will earn you 5,000 points simply for sharing a photo on social media.

I value an IHG Rewards Club point at 0.4p so this is effectively £20-worth of free hotel nights.

The offer is restricted to the first 10,000 people to take part.  It launched last night and, whilst it is scheduled to run until the end of the year, I’m pretty sure that the 10,000 person target will be hit very quickly.  This article alone will generate a large % of that.

Take a look at this page of the IHG website.

5000 free IHG Rewards Club points with Home With IHG

This is what you need to do:

You need to tweet or put on Instagram a photograph of yourself at home or at any IHG (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, InterContinental etc) property

You CANNOT post to a ‘private’ account – it must be public so that IHG can verify your entry

You MUST include the following tags, which you can cut and paste from here:  #HomeWithIHG #ad #Rewardsoffer @IHGRewardsClub

Once your post is up, you need to visit this ‘claim my points’ page of the IHG site and log in using your Twitter or Instagram account – in theory you are asked to wait 15 minutes although I didn’t and my post had still been found.  Some readers, in our comments below, are having issues with certain browsers so if it fails try a different one.

You will be asked for your name and IHG Rewards Club number.  A confirmation reference number will be given.  Points will post within two weeks.

In theory, the small print says that “[you] must follow @ihgrewardsclub …. to participate and maintain such non-private account for at least thirty (30) days after the Offer Period ends to be eligible”.  I am not convinced this is correct, partly because you are told that the points will arrive in 1-2 weeks after you submit and your number and partly because this clause is not mentioned in the main body text.  It is up to you whether you do this.

This is one of those promotions where having a ‘spare’ Twitter or Instagram account is handy, if you don’t want to spam your friends with your photo.

IHG cannot validate who owns any particular social media page, so if you have both a Twitter and Instagram account you could do this for two people without actually having to nag your partner for their log-in details!

In terms of geography, the promo is open to residents of “Australia, Canada, France, Germany, India, Japan, Mexico, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the fifty (50) United States and the District of Columbia”.

I do not think that these points are elite qualifying.  However, it is a VERY easy opportunity to pick up a meaningful chunk of points (I’m looking at you, Marriott, giving away 50 points for playing your recent quiz!) and I would do it if you can.

Reminder: Get special benefits on luxury hotel bookings via Head for Points
British Airways closes its Munich Airport lounge - where do you go now?

Comments

1. Fab, thanks Rob.

2. guesswho2000 says:

Excellent, thanks for the heads up, done and done!

3. Yep, was in OMAAT and LL last night too, so will go fast. Need to get a spare Twitter account setup!

4. Scottydogg says:

Twitter link doesn’t seem to work anymore ? anyone else get it to work ?

• I went from the IHG page itself. Try logging out of Twitter itself and back in again, then try it.
      Thanks Rob for this.

• Scallder says:

Thanks Peter – I got the error too and logging out and in again worked. Have made sure to take a screenshot showing I’ll be getting the points!

• Scottydogg says:

Yes , got it to work by not using the link , just went to the website ‘Homewithihg’ and it worked then

• Didn’t work from IE or Edge but got it to work from Chrome. Thanks.

5. Thanks Rob, posted and claimed – let’s see if the points post.

6. I can’t log in to IHG – anyone else struggling? Their “system is temporarily unavailable”.

• Scottydogg says:

Try just opening google and typing in ‘HomewithIHG’ and going to the website that way , it worked for me after trying to use the link unsuccessfully

7. Worked alright on my Iphone. Thanks. And yes, we hopefully won’t have to wait for 8 weeks like with Marriott!

8. Error. {“error_type”: “OAuthException”, “code”: 400, “error_message”: “Redirect URI does not match registered redirect URI”}

This is madness 😡🤬

9. Twitter just worked on Chrome. Instagram is not working on Chrome or Safari.

10. Matt Turner says:

Twitter API not working have tried multiple devices and browsers. All seems a bit shonky.

11. Still error on twitter via Chrome

Whoa there!
    The request token for this page is invalid. It may have already been used, or expired because it is too old. Please go back to the site or application that sent you here and try again; it was probably just a mistake.
    Go to Twitter.

12. Took a bit of doing but think I got it right for both OH and me, thanks Rob

13. thanks, worked eventually

14. Thank you, think I’ve managed to get this to work!

15. Alastair says:

Done, very easy for me, I was logged in to twitter, posted my photo and then followed the link and authorised IHG to read my twitter account, all using chrome on windows 10

16. Dougie Forde says:

Great stuff, thank you

17. Are all of you okay with the let IHG use your Twitter stuff? A step to far for my other half.
    Authorise pl11664 Home with IHG to use your account?
    pl11664 Home with IHG
    homewithihg.com
    pl11664 Home with IHG

Remember me · Forgotten your password?

This application will be able to:
    Read Tweets from your timeline.
    See who you follow, and follow new people.
    Update your profile.
    Post Tweets for you.
    Will not be able to:
    Access your direct messages.
    See your email address.
    See your Twitter password.

18. Seriously doubt HFP will account for a large %, it has be up for hours and already publicised widely.

19. Managed to do this thanks will wait and see if its posts .

One note in the terms is that you must follow IHG rewards on insta for at least 30 days .

20. Rob – looking at the T&C’s it appears that you must also ensure that the twitter/instagram account you use is following @ihgrewardsclub

“NOTE: A participant must follow @ihgrewardsclub and have a non-private Twitter/Instagram account to participate and maintain such non-private account for at least thirty (30) days after the Offer Period ends to be eligible.”

• Good point, just did a quick follow!

• Sounds unlikely, given the main text, the fact that you are told the points arrive in 2 weeks and the fact you even get a confirmation number for the points deposit!

21. Thanks Rob just done my first ever tweet

22. Well if nothing else logging into my IHG account for the first time on a PC for a long time made me spot the 2 years worth of Spire benefits I hadn’t selected – so 2x 25k gained!

23. Dave Barron says:

Cheers Rob 🙂

24. I’ve managed to get mine registered but can’t get hubby’s to work. keeps telling me it can’t find a valid post even though I’ve done one and tells me to try again in 15 mins which I’ve been trying for the past couple of hours – it’s doing my head in!!!

• Given up – I’ve logged out of twitter and back in – posted it about 4 times – quadruple checked all the tags and spelling and still says they can’t find a valid post so won’t let me through to fill in the form. 😤

25. I am very happy to do this and similar Marriott stuff and get lots of points.
    But can someone please explain to me what they hope to gain by this.

• Rights to use your photo in their ads.

• Haha not sure they’ll want the one I used – was in a rush trying to find one between meetings and look pretty glaikit in it!

• The Original Nick says:

Good luck with my photo

• I won 20,000 Avios from BA in a contest like this five years ago. Had to waive all rights to them.
        The pic was used in their promos!

• Presumably would allow linking real world identity from your ihg account (real name, address etc) with a social media identity which may be obscure. Those databases are worth something (the book Chaos Monkeys by a guy who worked for Facebook was interesting re how they linked Facebook profiles to real world identities). Have they said if/how the info can be used or sold on?

26. Done. Thx!

27. Failing to log in to either Twitter or Instagram for me

28. Is anyone else having difficulties with this? Can’t log in through the webpage with either instagram or twitter, getting errors in multiple browsers – am I too late?

• Have you tried going direct from IHG site rather than clicking through here? I did that and incognito mode and that seemed to do the trick.

• thanks, yep went directly to the IHG site and clicked the claim link from there and it worked. Fingers crossed we’ll all get some free points.

On a related note, I’ve done very well buying IHG points in their 100% bonus promotion and using them for low end redemption in the US for an upcoming ski trip. Worked out about 1/2 the price of booking the rooms for cash!

29. Rob’s link seems to give an error now. Best post your pick to Twitter, then google “home with ihg”
    And go directly to the official web page and click the link there.
    Worked for me

30. sneydpotter says:

All done, decent promotion.

31. I missed out on this one. I don’t think the IHG powers that be appreciated the pic of my penis jammed inside the trouser press in my room at the Crowne Plaza Edinburgh. Either that or the A4 piece of paper covering my penis saying ‘only 15,000 points’.

32. “Thanks to everyone for sharing your posts!
    The entry period is now closed. If you submitted a post, claim your points at IHGRewardsClub.com/ClaimMyPoints by December 31, 2018.”

Right well that’s my insta post deleted then!

33. Nathaniel says:

Nooooooo

I just checked out of the Holiday Inn Manchester city this morning, and I only found out about it now

34. O/T chasing some of my IHG double points targets, one of which is stay in three brands. I’m wondering whether one of the soon to be Kimpton hotels, counts as a Kimpton brand stay. I’ve got a stay at Blythswood in Glasgow coming up.

35. Just worked for me and for confirmation number so not closed down yet.

36. Just posted (6am GMT) and got the confirmation reference.

37. Big dave says:

I don’t have a twatter nor hopstergram account….

38. Still working this morning

39. Think it’s expired now. Have posted on Instagram, but get error message logging in to claim my post.

40. “This application will be able to:

Read Tweets from your timeline.
    See who you follow, and follow new people.
    Update your profile.
    Post Tweets for you.”

Erm no thanks

41. ROBERT FREUDMANN says:

I’m getting the following error when clicking on the Instagram link

• HackinJack says:

Me too, also get error message from the twitter one saying invalid or expired token

42. Simply refuses to accept login, keeps saying come back in 15 mins.

• ThinkSquare says:

I had this trouble. Eventually realised my Twitter account was set to private. I had to repost the picture after changing the settings to get the IHG site to find it,

43. Josh Davies says:

still working via twitter this morning. couldnt get it work on my mobile last night so tried on work desktop and no problems. nice one!

44. Just done it. Confirmation received. I’m sure we can just delete the tweet now.

45. Just done it now, worked fine. So far I have 7500 points (including this) which I have got from 1 stay in a hotel for 1 night, and the rest of the points by promotions of some sort.

46. Dave Fearn says:

Problems with Edge browser under Windows 10 – switched to Chrome and worked fine. Many thanks Rob!

47. Concerto says:

I have a twitter account but I actually have no idea at all how to use it. Where do I enter the “#HomeWithIHG”, “#RewardsOffer”, and “#ad” things? And where is the handle which should contain “@ihgrewardsclub”?

48. OT: Anyone stayed at IC malta and how does it compare to the hilton? Also, How does Amb benefits work if I book 2 rooms?
    Or should I make hubby join Amb and book second room under his name?

• A friend stayed as platinum (non amb). Very disappointing experience and the rooms look nothing like the photos. My understanding is that you need to book a suite or an apartment below a suite hoping for an upgrade to get the good side of the hotel.

49. Concerto says:

Well, I did it a second time, and put #HomeWithIHG #ad and #RewardsOffer in the message space. I made sure my name was under the photo, when prompted. I think handles apply to Instagram (don’t do Instagram). I think my account is public, not sure how to check. It’s pretty user unfirendly, Twitter, I must say. Took a fair while to find out how to block someone who was sending sexy pictures!

• Were the pictures not to your liking? 😂

• ThinkSquare says:

Click the picture of “head & shoulders” in the top right, then “Settings & privacy”, then “privacy and safety”, then untick “Tweet privacy”.

I think you also need to include @IHGRewardsClub in the post text. Well, it worked for me, anyway

Glad it isn’t just me who finds all these social media things difficult.

50. Harry Holden says:

Completed the task successfully yesterday. On my account activity, it now shows “Ad Hoc mailing – program update 0 PTS”.

Is this related and a sign that for some reason my twitter post was not perfect? Or is it something totally unrelated?

• Unrelated. I had that appear a few days ago.

• Nope it’s appeared on lots (all?) accounts – had more of a code to it before and I thought it was related to AMB renewal. It appeared before this promo though so not connected.

51. Just done the IHG promo at 7.45 this p.m., so they’ve obviously not reached 10,000 yet

52. Still working.After several attempts last night getting an error message,this evening it work perfectly with the first try.
    And like few others HFP readers…my first tweet..
    Many thanks Rob!

53. new to instrgam, i have uploaded picture and done all the # and @ tags, and am upto this step: Once your post is up, you need to visit and log in using your Twitter or Instagram account
    where do i need to visit and log in to now ?
    thanks

• Ermm are you using an adblocker? The link is clearly in the article…

“Once your post is up, you need to visit **this ‘claim my points’ page of the IHG site** and log in using your Twitter or Instagram account”

• Yep, as I say link to it is in the article?

• now getting this error:

tried on chrome and edge but no luck

54. ElectroDuende says:

Points have just posted on my account!

Thanks a lot Rob!

• ElectroDuende says:

By the way, as it is usual with promotion points, they don’t count for status.