BA

Biggest bonus yet – up to 25,200 Avios for an Economist subscription (as low as 0.96p per Avios)

British Airways and The Economist have brought back their special offer for taking out a subscription.  This is the biggest bonus yet.

As you can see at this link, you can earn up to 25,200 Avios with a new subscription to The Economist.

Here are the permutations on offer if you are a UK resident:

Print only or digital only:

1 year: £145 with 10,200 Avios (1.42p per Avios)

2 years: £259 with 16,200 Avios (1.60p per Avios)

3 years: £349 with 22,200 Avios (1.59p per Avios)

Print and digital:

1 year: £179 with 13,200 Avios (1.35p per Avios)

2 years: £315 with 19,200 Avios (1.64p per Avios)

3 years: £425 with 25,200 Avios (1.68p per Avios)

The pricing seems a bit random in places.  However, compared to the 1.6p per Avios charged when you buy them directly from BA, this is more interesting.

This offer is particularly attractive if you are self-employed or run a company.  Whilst I am not a tax expert and you should obviously take your own advice if necessary, it would be hard not to argue that The Economist magazine is an acceptable tax-deductible purchase for most business people.

Avios Economist offer

The price charged seems to be in line with the price charged via other channels so you are not over-paying.

However, before you sign up, it is worth looking at the prices offered for residents of other countries.

If you have any friends in Canada who may enjoy The Economist in print (you could access the digital version yourself), it is an even better deal.  For a three year subscription it is C$455 (£267) for 25,200 Avios which works out at 1.06p per point.

Note also that the DIGITAL ONLY version for Canadian residents is C$365 (£214) for three years and you get 22,200 Avios for yourself.  This works out at 0.96p per Avios.  There is a US offer too but this less attractive.

The offer runs until 31st January.

PS.  If you are looking the cheap Avios, the Groupon deal with Iberia Plus is still running. Click here for details.

These are the packages still available:

• 4,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €54 (1.2p)
  • 8,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €99 (1.1p)
  • 15,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €189 (1.1p)
  • 20,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €249 (1.1p)
  • 35,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €439 (1.1p)

Whilst these deals were administratively messy when they first appeared, I get fewer complaints these days.  The IT seems to be working better now.  Of course, all of the information is in Spanish but Chrome can translate the page for you.  The Avios will be credited to an Iberia Plus account and you can move them from there to your BA account via ‘Combine My Avios’.  (Note that Iberia accounts must be 90 days old before you can use ‘Combine My Avios’.)  The Groupon Spain page you need is here.

Get up to 5,000 bonus Qatar Airways Qmiles and a status fast track when you join Privilege Club
Bits: Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer devaluation, Thistle / Guoman / Amba sale, new Marriott Bonvoy logo

BA
IHG
BA

Comments

1. The 10,200 for a print subscription is what I received through Aer club in October 18 and previous years. Although I am still trying to get the points.

• I’m in the same position. Chased numerous times since September and get the standard they will be posting soon, it takes 6-8 weeks.

Currently waiting for a response to my request to apply the avios or cancel with refund…..

• Economist claim they sent on 26/10. Aer Club sloped shoulders; A very helpful lady called Amanda at Avios is looking into it.

• Yeah it’d taken about 9 months for my Dad to finally receive the Accor points he was due for his subscription! Worth persevering though given the decent amount involved.

2. David Birkbeck says:

Last week when I looked at moving Avios from Iberia to BA, both the Iberia Plus site and the BA site said it was no longer possible (although both showed you could move them the other way).

3. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Bear in mind though that you may be able to get The Economist on your phone, tablet or computer free of charge through your library using RBdigital.

• Brighton Belle says:

+1. It was a bit of a grind getting the admin sorted but it’s great to have on my phone and iPad when I am travelling. Since you can change how articles are displayed in text or pdf there’s no difficulty in adjusting the format the size of the screen you use.

4. OT.

Am I correct in saying that with Amex Platinum insurance there is no compensation for lost bags on the last leg?

BA have lost our bags. They were not on our flight from the USA.

• dgsupersonic says:

That’s correct for the delayed bag travel inconvenience but I think you can still claim for the lost/stolen portion.
      The best thing you can do is contact the platinum insurance line and speak to an advisor. They are very helpful in explaining what you are entitled to claim.

5. I have a Belgian BAEC address, can I still subscribe to a US subscription ? (digital only)
    Do they check BAEC account ?

Thanks

6. Anyone managed to get a subscription with a US or Canadian address but paying with a UK card?

7. Not sure why one would get a three year subscription – 3 one year subscriptions offer more Avios. And they come up regularly enough. Have used this offer for last four or so years (once with a gap of 3 weeks before the end of subscription and the new offer coming up – gave me time to read something other than The Economist!).

• Why not take out multiple subscriptions? So having a three year one running then add a one year later on? Maybe via a different country?

Assuming that is possible?

8. Richard G says:

Glad to see this back. Was starting to feel a bit out of touch without it!

9. AndrewH says:

Their admin is shockingly poor – still waiting for avios points when I took it out in Sept and it shd have been received by end of Nov – beware

• As a counterpoint, ordered the subscription in spring 2018 and the Avios posted to BAEC almost immediately.

10. OT: How can my partner and I pool our Avios to transfer them both to the same Iberia plus account to make a redemption? Used a avios.com household account before but not sure if that’s possible any more? Thanks in advance!

11. Canadian postal codes are formatted similar to UK, ie: A1A 1A1, or mine for example T3E 7R6.

Tempted by this offer but 1.7¢ CAD per avios is a little high without a redemption in mind. Thank you for flagging it as its one of the better prices I’ve seen lately.

12. possible to do multiple subscription on one single BA membership account?

13. Tax Expert says:

Buying The Economist is not a tax deductible expense. Unless it is wholly and exclusively for the running of your business.

14. WilcoRoger says:

I subscribed to The Economist in August and had to chase my points/miles until before Christmas. (in earlier years the chase for points was shorter, but never managed to get them automatically – on several different airlines)

Luckily their editorial material is not produced by the same people who run the subscription offers.

15. AndrewH says:

As a postscript – finally got avios points in BAEC. As a reminder in my case I took out subscription late Sept 2018, should take 8 wks max ie end of Nov 18… 13 weeks in, in early Jan the avios finally arrive after much chasing. After it arrived, I’ve got a few months added to my subscription as “goodwill”. A few points of “learning” for others 1) somehow they didnt have my BAEC number in their system…. so worth checking v early on that their system has it 2) their telephone customer line is better than their email customer service in my experience – I think the lack of real people contact means their responses are less “generous” or “reasonable”. good luck.