Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Finnair launches flights to Sapporo, bookable on Avios

Finnair, a British Airways partner in the oneworld alliance, will launch flights to Sapporo in Japan this Winter.  It becomes the first European airline to fly to the city since KLM dropped the route back in 2002.

The service will only operate for a short period between 15th December and 27th March 2020.  Flights will depart from Helsinki on Thursdays and Sundays.

Sapporo will be the 5th Finnair destination in Japan following Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuoka.  The direct route from the UK to Japan takes you over Scandinavia which is why the flight time from Helsinki to Sapporo is only 8hr 55 min.

Booked with Avios, Economy seats are 50,000 points + £254.  Business Class is 150,000 Avios + £362.

Finnair appears to have released two Economy and two Business Class seats per flight, and availability was good when I looked yesterday.

Comments (158)

• FlyUpTop says:

Anyone know how long VA point transfers to Hilton are taking at the moment to credit?

• Si**o says:

OT//

Booked 2 First Class (oneway) tickets to the US this morning to secure the seats using my 2-4-1.

I’m awaiting for 20k Amex MR points to transfer to my BA account, Am I right to believe take it I can add the return at any point in the future It doesn’t need to be in the 24hr period? (As long as they are still there?)

Tried to call and ask BA this morning and the guy I had wouldn’t even entertain the idea and wouldn’t let me book a oneway (so I booked online).

• Anna says:

Numerous people on this site have added return segments on a 2 4 1 booking by phone after booking the outbound when the required return seats were released, the only potential issue being that the seats might be taken by someone else before the booking can be made.

• Stu N says:

I’ve had no problems adding a return after booking outbound when released at T-355 and waiting for the return date to become available. Significance of 24h is that this is the window you can amend a booking free of charge; after that you might be charged a change fee of £35pp.

For info I did an Amex to BAEC transfer last week and points took 48 hours to hit my BAEC account; initiated late morning on Monday and the points were there Wednesday morning.

• rams1981 says:

Curve pay model free for first 6 months for Amex beta users. Not bad

• Jim says:

https://www.curve.app/cards ? I see no mention of Amex ?

• AlexI says:

Seems to be just for those currently taking part in the beta testing of using Amex via Curve. The latest email from Curve says that they will soon be rolling the new subscription service (which I assume will include Amex) out to everyone in the coming weeks but does not give a definite date.

• Graham Walsh says:

Got the email as on the beta. Interesting. Still not sure it’s worth it.

• MD says:

Interesting, thanks. I’m in the beta but haven’t got an email about this yet. For me the key will be if they raise the overall annual and monthly usage limits. Your link doesn’t mention a higher limit for the metal subscription, but surely….?

• Genghis says:

Seems a poor package tbh when compared to alternatives. I think I’ll be going down to blue once 6 months are up.

• Anna B says:

Terrible prices from AVIS via VFC. Double the price on the AVIS website. And then even better applying their new year discount. Paid £220 (pay on collection) instead of quoted £450 (pay now) for a five day mid range rental in May.

• Anna B says:

Thanks for that. Saved me $99! I was about to buy a new membership so as to carry over two outstanding visits from my old membership so that’s really helpful as I don’t have other lounge membership at present. DragonPass people assured me they can transfer over visits to new cards.