Bits: buy a ‘BA 100’ badge for Flying Start, No 1’s new Edinburgh lounge, BA’s Boeing 747 retirements

News in brief:

Buy a ‘BA 100’ lapel pin badge for Flying Start

When I was at the oneworld 20th anniversary event on Friday, I was given one of the limited edition ‘BA 100’ pin badges.  You will see these being worn by British Airways staff this year.

As I know these are popular with many people, I have decided to sell this one on eBay.  All of the net proceeds will go to the British Airways Flying Start appeal.

The eBay auction listing is here and you have another five days to bid.  Good luck.

British Airway 100 years pin badge

New No 1 Lounge at Edinburgh confirmed for 8th February

No 1 Lounges has confirmed that its new Edinburgh lounge will open on 8th February.  It will be open from 4.30am to 9pm daily.

Access should be available via Priority Pass (for Amex Platinum cardholders) and Lounge Club (for Amex Gold cardholders).

Until the end of February, No 1 is promoting a £22.40 deal for cash visits by using code EDI20 on their website.  If you collect Virgin Flying Club miles you might prefer to pay £25 via this link and get 350 miles back per booking.

Retirement dates for the British Airways Boeing 747 fleet

Finally, if you’re interested in the future of the British Airways Boeing 747 fleet, this article from Airline Geeks is worth a look.

It is based on internal BA data on the retirement plan for the fleet.  At present British Airways has 34 Boeing 747 aircraft.  13 of those are scheduled for retirement by November 2022 and have not been refurbished.  These will retire in stages from July 2019, at which point they will be between 21 and 28 years old.

The remaining 21 aircraft will soldier on for a while but are expected to depart by February 2024 if new aircraft deliveries are on time.

What will replace them?  BA has 12 Boeing 787-10 aircraft on order for delivery in 2020 and 2023, as well as three additional Boeing 777-300ER (two this year and one next year) and of course the 12 new Airbus A350-1000 planes which arrive this year and will feature the new Club World seat.

These 27 aircraft will not fully replace the 34 retiring aircraft.  As our article on the oneworld 20th anniversary press conference on Friday mentioned, BA is still interested in more A380 planes if Airbus will sell them at a price which the airline considers acceptable.

Review of the SkyTeam (and Priority Pass) lounge in Heathrow Terminal 4
IT'S BACK: Get £50 off £100 spend at Amazon with Amazon Business

Comments

1. O/T got some bonus points awarded for a Hilton stay yesterday I wasn’t expecting. 5k for “2019 VISA Platinum APAC”, “2500 Barclays 1st Stay bonus” and “2019 points unlimited”. I was expecting the 2000 points unlimited but not the other 7500. I paid using my Hilton Barclaycard but it wasn’t the first time I have used it or my first Hilton stay…….first use and stay in 2019 though??

• Was a one night stay in UK…

• I also got the 2.5k Barclays first stay bonus which I wasn’t expecting for a stay last weekend was my first stay this year. No 5k for the Visa platinum though . Also got the points unlimited 2k but was expecting that. I paid on my Hilton Barclaycard too.

• Any bonus points are a bonus, just wondering if they are one offs or would I get them again lol

• My thoughts exactly, have another stay next month so I’ll find out then. I am envious of your extra 5k that I didn’t get – are you diamond? I’m only gold.

• I only got the HH visa bonus on my first stay this year, not the next one

• I never got any of the welcome ones, although did eventually get them to credit the 10k manually. Not sure if it being my 6th churn of that card had anything to do with it or not 😂

• I didn’t but see Loyalty Lobby mentioning folk getting these too.

2. OT: Does Amex ever accept applications immediately on weekends/ After friday 8pm?

• Since there is no human intervention doesn’t it work all the time?

• It does certainly accept applications. However, I’ve never been auto-approved (even though I have 3 Amex cards and never missed a payment… I suspect it’s the curse of not being on the electoral roll). Then you need to wait for a weekday to call and get your application looked at. In my case, the phone agent approves me on the spot every time.

• I’m not sure about acceptance but the system certainly posts referral bonuses at weekends.

3. You selling anymore Agent Provocateur pure silk dressing gowns Rob 🙂

4. O/T – My accelerate promotion includes the following 3 challenges:
    1. Saturday stays bonus – Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 8,000 bonus points.
    2. Earn More, Faster – Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 2 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster.
    3.Corporate Account Bonus – Stay 4 time(s) using your corporate rate and earn 6,800 bonus points. Stays booked through your corporate portal count toward the promotion.

Q. If I booked a Friday night with my corporate rate and a Saturday night with the bonus points package rate at the same hotel, would I qualify for the Saturday stay challenge?

• Lady London says:

This points up a loophole I’ve been thinking about,where a bit of the t’s and C’s that is commonly included on promos to stop something else happening, could also open the door to this kind of thing.

Personally i think according to t’s and C’s it should work but may or may not be recognised automatically as qualifying. If not you’d have to ‘discuss’ it with them. You could call them to ask but that could trigger some tighter wording next time.

Personally I’d go for it and watch carefully to see what credits.

5. OT Have 2 x 1 night bookings for Leeds Met tonight mine and mrs xcalxs accounts just looked online to get booking Nos and noticed one of the bookings has been cancelled (not by us). Didn’t want to draw attention as not staying overnight.
    What’s my best way forward contact IHG or sort out at Hotel. No email has been received from IHG saying booking is cancelled.
    Booking was for the stay 2 nights get one at any IHG worldwide so hardly likely to cancel at our end.

• Lady London says:

An Accor hotel cancelled one of my bookings last year in error. They replaced it but after the date bookings had to be made to qualify for the promotion. It was one of those 500-1000-1500 type accumulator promotions. So it didn’t just cost me the points for that stay it stopped me getting the last big chunk of points due to a total of only 2 stays now booked within the period so the higher payout from my 3rd stay was missed. I’m still trying to sort that out with Accor.

Sort it before your stay by calling the hotel now. If they did indeed cancel it then insist the hotel or hotel group put it in writing to you before your stay that you will be credited full promo points when stay is done. I would not stay otherwise.

• Thanks. Will try sort out at hotel. Just a bit awkward having booked a single and a double and staying in neither. Should be ok with the promo as its book and stay by 31 March

• Peter K says:

Accor customer service definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

• Sadly Accor’s customer service is horrendous and I’m speaking from my own experience. With IHG or Hilton it’s usually straightforward to claim points like this.

6. rams1981 says:

OT just completed a stay at intercontinental Mexico City. I’m a spire ambassador and booked one room with points and another for cash under my name. In checking in asked for an upgrade. They gave us two rooms next to each other which were decent (not actually sure what upgrade it was). In receiving my welcome letter I noticed it said I could as ambassador get a free newspaper electronically or from the lounge. I said doesn’t that mean I get free lounge access? She said no usd 35 per night. I said the letter said differently. In the end she got bored of me and both rooms got free club lounge access for both rooms for our 2 night stay. Helps cover a lot of the ambassador fee lol

• Was it any good?

• The lounge I mean

• rams1981 says:

Yes decent. Free breakfast which was good. Fresh fruit juices, bacon, sausages etc. had an egg station. Cereal, various breads and some local dishes. In the evening free snacks and bar. All in pretty good. Would I pay the 35usd fee? Prob not

7. None of the replacement planes have the capacity of a 747. Given how full the 747’s often are, this is a problem.

• My guess is BA will order more A380s, when Airbus cracks under the lack of other orders.

8. OT – Curve..

So all of my pending payments to Curve have dropped off my Amex card now. So what happens next? I used the top ups using my Curve card, but Curve have failed to take the funds from Amex. I was planning on closing my Amex account this coming week.

Have other people’s pending Curve payments on their Amex dropped off or have they moved to processed?

• Ive had a lot of payments declined on Curve last couple of days, just to normal VISA and MAstercard, think I will bin it if not reliable.

• Yes, see the Curve related threads for the past couple of days.

9. BJ,

Thanks for your help yesterday (and Rob). Tried Robs first but that page just gives me a session timed out. Your walk through BJ is fine if I had 2000 points but currently sitting on less than the minimum conversion so didn’t work.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed

• You need to wait for IB and Accor to launch a new promo for earning Avios. The sign in page for that (which will be identical to the ones we linked to) will trigger conversion of existing balances.

• Cheers Rob just hope that they don’t expire before hand.

• I’m out at the moment Clive but I’ll post the steps for auto convert sometime tomorrow. IIRC that also transfers existing balance even if under 2k but I’m not certain.

• That’s the link he wants. The standard route to setting up auto-convert on the Accor website does not convert your existing balance.

• Thanks for clarifying that Rob, I couldn’t remember. Hooefully not too long before another accor IB promotion.

10. Shoestring says:

Should be tax deductible as well: Flying Start, in support of Comic Relief, registered charity 326568 (England/Wales); SC039730 (Scotland)

• Jonathan says:

Not if you’re getting something in return for donation.

• Shoestring says:

But the donor is giving all monies received to Flying Start – and the Ebay sale value is presumably the value of the donation.

• The bidder cannot put in a tax claim.

I presumably can, if Flying Start is UK registered, but if so I will increase the donation to reflect the tax rebate I will eventually get.

11. Flying out of Edinburgh on Friday morning so will give the new lounge a try. Wasn’t the biggest fan of the old No 1 lounge.

• Let us know. No need for a review as I will be up there in about 8 weeks anyway.

• New lounge is pretty nice, an improvement on old lounge. It’s in the new part of departures and upstairs which means you have a view of part of the apron and runway.

Food offering is still the same so it’s a one slice of bacon roll plus the selection of pastries, fruit etc.

12. Globaliser says:

For anyone who’s really interested in the fine detail of BA’s 747 retirements plan, the precise dates in the Airline Geeks article seem to be out-of-date; indeed, they may already have been out-of-date when the article was published.

With help from BA insiders, there is a tracker post on FlyerTalk which tries to keep up with the changes in that fine detail. Currently, this is located at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30493813-post2742.html