BA’s repainted BOAC Boeing 747 takes off

BA’s repainted BOAC Boeing 747 has taken off.

British Airways 747 in BOAC livery

British Airways launched its first repainted aircraft yesterday, one of a handful of classic liveries that will be applied to selected planes this year as part of BA’s 100th birthday celebrations.

British Airways 747 in BOAC livery

It uses the livery of the British Overseas Airways Corporation.  This is one of two airlines that merged in 1974 to create the current British Airways.  This livery was used between 1964 and 1974.

British Airways 747 in BOAC livery

I have slotted photos from the launch yesterday throughout this article.  The plane will retain the paintwork until it is retired in 2023.  Its first flight will be BA117 to New York today.

British Airways 747 in BOAC livery

And, it has to be said, it looks good.  Given the improvements in painting technology in the last 50 years, I am sure that the livery never looked as impressive when it was originally used.  Click on any image to enlarge.

Review of the new Emirates First Class suite on a Boeing 777-300ER! (Part 1)
British Airways Osaka deal, and get a £100 Emirates / Amex credit

Comments

1. OT: Had the Gold charge card, upgraded about 10 months ago via the link to Platinum. 1Y coming up so will cancel. I’ve ended up putting quite a lot of spend through the card, anyway to downgrade to Gold Charge / Credit and take benefit of the spend 15k to trigger end of year bonus of 10k MR? Any experience in this?

• Shoestring says:

1. I presume you can’t downgrade to Gold credit card (same as you can’t upgrade from Gold Credit to Plat).

2. Are they allowing ‘new’ Gold charge cards? – that is the question. (I think not.)

• I am in same position having upgraded Gold > Plat and done five referrals in 2018 for 90,000 MR without ever paying £450.
      I assume that you mean cancel Platinum and apply for Gold. You will not get the new card bonus if you apply within six months of cancelling Plat (same MR currency).
      As my fifth referral in 2019 before cancelling Plat (I shall probably pay a month) I shall refer my wife for Plat giving me 18,000 and her 35,000 + 5,000 for my supplementary.
      If this is not possible refer yourself for another Amex card.

• Not possible

• I have just upgraded, now I already had a supp on the Gold card – so they added to the plat, do I miss out on the 5000 bonus for adding a supp or would adding another do it?

2. O/T – Marriott / SPG

Can I just check my understanding on various points drawn from different articles or comments to make sure it fits with my strategy (as a relative newbie)?

I can self-refer from Amex Gold to SPG?
    The points will post as soon as I reach the target spend (not at end of promo period)?
    I can book Marriott reward nights even if I don’t have enough points, without status?

On this final question – is the reward night guaranteed at time of booking provided I eventually reach the points target? I don’t want to find that reward availability has disappeared in the meantime and the booking is no longer available for points.
    According to the Marriott description of the process, the status of the booking seems a bit ambiguous until the points are deducted.

Thanks all.

• Optimus Prime says:

Yes, you can self refer from Gold to SPG.

Points will post to your Marriott account a few days before statement date (at least this was my case).

Reward booking is guaranteed.

• Booking is confirmed, no risk.

• On a related SPG point – am I ok to close card in month 2 after I’ve hit £1,000 spend and bonus and spend points have transferred out to Marriott account?

• Shoestring says:

sure, check the points actually arrived first!

• Great. I’m assuming points get shifted at statement date, or thereabouts, so if I wait for first statement to arrive and then check points have credited to Marriott then I should be ok?

• Shoestring says:

just check your Amex a/c, when points get swept away to Marriott, wait a couple more days & log in to Marriott to check they arrived

3. Shoestring says:

O/T the free £4 from Amazon for creating a Wish List for the first time works fine – it just takes 3-4 days for them to email you the £4 code (off £25)

check eligibility here https://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=16092344031

4. Lost+confused says:

OT re amex platinum car rental cover. Does it include roadside assistance? Record go in Malaga just charged me for there Fast cover at 38 euro to provide roadside assistance, but I’m not convinced I need it. I’m not leaving the airport for a coupe of hours so could get it removed if i don’t need it. I’d appreciate knowing what the collective wisdom says ?

5. Any sign of them getting rid of the “amusing” safety video?

• Lost+confused says:

It was on my flight today

• It’s so bad, just terrible. Did they think paying a load of stars a boat load of cash would save a few mins of the cabin crew? Why not invest in some better seats. 2-4-2 in CW is just terrible

6. Time to get the popcorn out: Arizona airline Mesa swoops with bid to ground Flybe ‎deal

7. Has anyone had issues with getting charged months later by Curve? I’ve been charged today for a transaction that took place back at the beginning of December. I’m sure I got charged for this back then but Curve don’t want to know and my credit card company have told me they can’t help. Its £200!!

• Can’t you look back on your statements

• Look at the statements, you can’t guess and expect them to cough up without verifying.

Sounds like Curve to delay charges due to tech difficulties, happened with arm once

• I had a charge hit a card 4 months late recently. It was a restaurant bill taken on a wireless terminal and I guess there was an IT issue.

8. Can the Emirates deal be used twice, ie £100 off each flight for a couple?

Guess the other option is to save the offer to both the main and supp card and buy the tickets in 2 separate transactions?