Generous £75 off £250 Hilton spend with new Amex deal – plus an Amex offers round-up

One of the most popular American Express cashback deals has returned.  And this one is surprisingly generous.

If you have a look at the ‘Offers’ section on ALL of your Amex online statement pages, you might see a new Hilton offer available for registration.

You will get £75 cashback on your next American Express statement when you spend – cumulatively – £250 with Hilton in the UK and Europe before 15th May.

There is potentially one problem:

“Offer excludes online payments and is only valid on checkout spend.”

This means that you can’t use the offer to book an Advanced Purchase room rate.  You would either:

need to pay more for a ‘pay on departure’ room or

spend £250 in the hotel on food or other services billed at check-out

If you normally book ‘pay on departure’ rates then, of course, you are getting the full benefit of the £75 credit.  If you normally pay in advance then you will lose out.

However ….. I get a funny feeling that Amex may not be able to differentiate between payment at check-out and a hotel processing your ‘pay in advance’ booking.  Definitely register just in case.

The small print does NOT say that cumulative spend counts.  Versions of this offer have run a few times in recent years, however, and all have paid out on cumulative spend without the rules specifically saying it would.

Not all UK and European hotels are taking partClick here to download a PDF with the participating list.

As it happens, we have a 3-night Hilton stay at a participating hotel planned for April.  We have already pre-paid the room, but I reckon we can get to £250 via two evening meals and possibly a spa treatment.  Another way of padding out your bill would be to arrange an airport transfer via the hotel and have it charged to your room.

If you want a ski hotel, the Grand Tirolia in Kitzbuhel, Austria is on the list:

Grand Tirolia Kitzbuhel Hilton Curio

Don’t forget to register for Hilton’s current promotion

Hilton is currently running a decent bonus points offer called ‘Points Unlimited’.  You can register here.

You will earn 2,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every stay until 5th May.  This will stack with the American Express cashback deal.

Even better,you will earn an additional 10,000 bonus Hilton Honors points for every FIVE stays OR TEN nights you complete, whichever comes first.

Given that I value a Hilton Honors point at around 0.33p, you are getting a good return on your spending here.  Someone who only ever spends one night at a time in a hotel would be earning – when you include the 10,000 bonus points per five stays – 4,000 bonus points per stay.  I would value that at £13 which is a VERY good return especially as it doesn’t include your base points or any status bonus.

There is no small print except that you need to register in advance via the Hilton website here.  Existing bookings count, there is no minimum stay rule and all Hilton Honors hotels are taking part.

Hilton is still status matching too.  If you have status with another hotel programme, Hilton will match you to Gold or Diamond for 90 days – I explain how to do it in this article.

The Hilton booking page is here.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Hilton Park Lane cashback deal

What other Amex travel cashback deals are running?

Other deals currently circulating include:

£100 off £500 Marriott spend (expires 31st March)

£20 off £150 Avis spend (expires 30th April)

£100 off £400 Melia spend (expires 27th May)

£75 off £300 spend at Claridge’s, The Connaught & The Berkeley (expires 31st March)

£25 off £75 spend at restaurants and bars of Firmdale Hotels in London (expires 27th March)

£100 off £800 Emirates spend (expires 31st March)

10% back on bookings made via The Good Hotel Guide (expires 14th April)

£50 off £250 spend at Red Carnation Hotels (expires 24th May, some good London hotels and Ashford Castle in Ireland)

£100 off £500 Cheval Residences spend (short term apartments, expires 31st March)

£20 off £100 Eurowings spend (expires 19th March)

Check the small print before you book anything.  Some offers are restricted to certain hotels or certain countries.  Remember that you need to pay with your Amex to get the deal which means, outside the UK, incurring a 3% FX fee which eats into the saving if you have a 0% FX fee card in your wallet or purse.

Marriott Bonvoy announces a Manchester United partnership - bid for amazing experiences at Old Trafford
Bits: '3 for 2' on InterCon Club rooms, new Hilton Asia-Pacific sale, Mandarin Oriental Dubai opens

Comments

1. Not on any of our cards.

2. One one of mine. Never had a problem with this offer working for advance payments in past as processed by hotel not centrally. It also stacked across a couple of bookings. Suspect this will too. Beware Hilton belfry Cambridge not on list. Caught me out once!

3. Stewart Lee says:

Not on my card.

Has anyone had any luck contacting amex and asking for the offer to be added or is it purely targeted?

I got the last £50 off £250 offer before Christmas.

• Shoestring says:

Forget it, Amex customer services used to be helpful in that respect – but got told to computer sez no nowadays

• Haven’t had an offer for 6+ months now, other than the shop small campaign last December. CS said that it is targeted based on spend. When I said that I had spent £10,000+ on Amex Platinum Travel bookings in 2018, I was told that I had opted out of marketing offers, so that could be the reason for it. Ridiculous. Had opted out more than 10 years ago and yet had offers in the first half of last year!

• Jonathan says:

You probably had offers until GDPR implementation was looming which may have prompted AmEx to have a traul for people who had previously opted out of marketing activity.

• I think it’s a retribution for my multiple complaints about various things… now I only have two useless offers on Jewellery and Designer gabardines

• Their systems are just very slow today…

4. On both my and Mrs. AC’s BAPPs. Not on my Gold nor SPG Amex.

5. We don’t actually need or benefit from reports on whose cards the offers have or have not appeared on.

• Can’t say if it’s on mine, haven’t checked yet. I’ll be sure to update you later.

• I don’t know if it’s on mine or not, but if you subscribe to my mailing list I’ll send out an update when I’ve checked.

• Is it on yours?

• I think it’s useful to gauge how wide the offer has been applied. So while you might not find it useful, others do.

I didn’t get this offer, neither did my wife (both BA Amex)

• +1

• But why is it useful to gauge? If it’s on your card, that’s good for you, if it’s not better luck next time. Nothing you can do about it if you haven’t got it. Yawn comments about if it’s on their card, their dog walker’s SPG card.

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner; been busy at work all day. Just wanted to let you know that we haven’t got the offer on any of our cards, and we’re sad about it. Thanks for compiling these reports, and I look forward to seeing the percentage of readers who did receive it.

• Had a bad day? 😂 😂

• Amen.

6. I’m struggling to find good use of the £200 off a £600 spend and I’m running out of time. Have it across 3 cards as well.

It’s been a challenge to find a suitable trip I can split costs across a family of four.

• I agree – every time I check flights with BA or Flybe they are more expensive to the extent that it cancels the offer.

• Mark1980 says:

Can you not just use it for hotel spend instead of flights?

• Hotel spend is more expensive actually.
          For instance was looking at St Regis Mallorca: Amex is £341 per night, whereas hotel website listed at £200 with same cancellation conditions and extra packages included

• Had an interesting experience with that last night. BA flight was pricing up more expensive than when booked on ba.com when I was selecting the flights. But when I clicked through to passenger details and payments, the price went down to the exact one on the BA website. Might be worth trying to see if that works for you.

• Shoestring says:

Always been exactly the same price on ‘our’ route to place in the sun (European SH)

• I get different prices using different accounts, from office or from home etc. Had to use the supplementary card so eventually booked at a higher price, but was then billed the cheaper!

• I may be lucky to have bought three BA tickets and all prices are the same with BA website. QR is selling 1000 ish J tickets BEG/SOF-PVG if you fancy a TP run

• If you might not make use of the offer might you be willing to help me out? Need to book tickets for my in-laws to come from the Caribbean this summer and would be big help with saving on BA flights for 1 or 2 additional family members 🙂

7. If not on your card I would give it a couple of days. Sometimes not all offers load to cards on the same date I’ve found.

8. Re the Marriott offer – temps and conditions state that it has to be booked by 31 Jan. Is that correct or have they missed updating this?

• I think it was originally 31st Jan and they’ve extended it? Can’t see myself using that one.

• There’s a note in the terms:-

“Receive £100 statement credit when you spend £500 or more in participating hotels at Marriott properties in Europe between 3 December 2018 and 31 March 2019 (previously 31/01/19).”

9. No sign of it on my main or Plat AC. Is it perhaps only for those that haven’t used the Hilton offer in the past year or so?

10. 4 days at the Hilton Cyprus this weekend and the hotel not on the list. D’oh.

• OOh! That Hilton’s on our radar to. Any thoughts on the best way to get there from the airport?

• BlueThroughCrimp says:

I took the bus to Nicosia from Larnaca, but the airport bus depot is out of town, and the wrong side for the very nice Hilton.
        Luckily there was a conference on and they had a free mini bus from the airport bus depot to the Hilton.
        I suddenly became a delegate 😉

To get back, I took a taxi to the bus depot, and bus from there.

I would look in to a taxi transfer to avoid the faff if I went again to Nicosia.

• Actually the Kapnos Airport Shuttle stops about 10 minutes walk away from the Hilton, but if you have wheeled luggage the pavements in Cyprus are crap.

• ankomonkey says:

Hasn’t it just de-flagged? Or announced it will be doing?

11. 2 Amex offers this week and not targeted for either – both Emirates and Hilton not showing. Probably as I’ve used both recently. Bit of a shame. But Amex know me well with the continual offer of 10% cash back at Forever 21…