Two GREAT value hotel redemptions – in Cape Town and, erm, Buckinghamshire!

Two readers dropped me emails this week to highlight hotel redemptions they had booked which represented exceptional value for money.  I thought I’d share them both today.

Family suites at Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, Cape Town

First up is the Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront in Cape Town, a well regarded hotel with direct sea views (see photo below) near the V&A Waterfront development.

A few years ago, Radisson Rewards started offering ‘family rooms’ for redemption.  This was a great move, allowing you to pay a few more points in return for a room which would allow you to fit in your children.

Radisson Blu Waterfront seemed to take the memo a little too far, however.  It offers a two-bedroom sea-view suite as a ‘family room’ redemption.  It is 110 square metres.

Next Thursday, which is still peak season in Cape Town, a standard room at Radisson Blu Waterfront is £300 per night prepaid.  The 2-bedroom suite is selling for £720.  I have seen it even higher.

For points – look under ‘Redemptions – Family Room’ – it is just 87,500 Radisson Rewards points per night.  Remember that Radisson Rewards points convert at 1:3 from American Express Membership Rewards, so you’d only need 29,167 Amex points per night.

Note that this room only shows on dates where the 2-bedroom suite is available for cash.  If it does not show for cash, a lesser quality room is offered as the ‘family’ redemption option.  It will show clearly if you are getting the 2-bedroom suite.

Thanks to Cliff for this, who just returned from a stay in the suite.  The hotel website is here if you want to find out more.

Earning Radisson Rewards points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, you can earn Radisson Rewards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These include:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points (= 30,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points (= 90,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points (= 15,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

It is worth noting that holders of The Platinum Card receive free Radisson Rewards Gold status for as long as they hold the card.  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:3 into Radisson Rewards points which is a very attractive rate.  The cards above all earn 1 Amex point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 3 Radisson Rewards points.

Radisson Blu hotel waterfront cape town

The first genuinely luxurious UK countryside hotel on points – The Langley

The UK has a number of genuinely high-end country hotels near London – Four Seasons Hampshire, Chewton Glen, Whatley Manor, Coworth Park etc.

These hotels have two things in common.  They are exceptionally expensive at weekends and they are not available with hotel loyalty points.

This is why I am excited by the opening of The LangleyTake a look at its website here.

The Langley will be part of Marriott Bonvoy’s The Luxury Collection.  Based in Iver and:

The Langley hotel

“Sitting in a former royal hunting ground and with landscaping originally designed by England’s greatest gardener, Lancelot ‘Capability’ Brown, the setting of this grand country manor amidst acres of formal gardens and parklands, offers an escape where time slows and natural beauty bounds. The hotel’s boutique selection of 41 exquisite rooms and suites are to be designed by Dennis Irvine Studio with the height of sophistication and refinement in mind. The rooms are divided across the main house and The Brew House, a Grade II listed 18th century outbuilding. The Langley Spa, a world-class wellness centre will feature an indoor and outdoor pool, thermal area and five expansive treatment rooms. A specially designed fitness suite by leading personal trainer and author, Matt Roberts will use technologically advanced systems and equipment.”

The Langley is as reassuringly expensive as you would expect.  Opening at the end of May, the cheapest rooms for a Saturday night in June are £441 and go up sharply from there.

For Marriott Bonvoy points, however, it is exceptionally cheap.  The Langley is Category 5, which means it is 35,000 points per night.

I tend to value a Marriott Bonvoy point at 0.5p.  Spend them at The Langley and you’re getting 1.25p+.

The hotel website is here.  Redeem now if you want to lock in a Summer weekend. Ignore the message on the website about redemptions not yet being available – search and they show.

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

And the Priority Pass 'Lounge of the Year 2018' award nearly goes to ..... Aberdeen!
Last day for Hilton's UK, Europe and Middle East flash weekend sale

Comments

1. Sadly the website says that the Langley is not taking points bookings at the moment.

Any idea when this will open up for redemptions?

• mradey says:

Seems to be available for redemptions from June 2019. I didn’t get any coming up for May but June weekends are available.

mradey

• Matthew says:

The Marriott site defaults to that phrase when there are no award nights available for your dates. It used to show the calendar of available dates to allow you to be flexible but it seems that is broken too!

• Ignore the website. You can book – I already have.

2. Alex W says:

I have 5 nights for 4 booked on points at the Langley for our Anniversary in September. I hope it’s as good as the cash price indicates!

3. Dear Rob
    Thank you for the article on Radisson Cape Town.

Just out of interest, do you plan to run any articles on the best Radisson Hotel redemptions? I have seen Hilton before. We booked Radisson Orlando Conference Crntre last year but then cancelled after reading there was limited ways to get to Disney without a car.

I travel alot in Nordic so Radisson is good for me. And 1 tip for you and fellow readers. When Radisson do there promotions, you can book in advance if you do not know when you need to stay, then adjust/cancel your stay with no issue to get your reward. I hope that makes sense. ie recently I knew I’d probably do 10 nights in Sweden. I booked 10 nights at corporate rates and then moved them as needed. Also, the hotels are very good at cancelling and rebooking you if Radisson state ‘new bookings only’ to achieve targets.

Best regards
    Alan

• There isn’t much interest in Radisson from our readers (page views on Radisson articles are always low) so we tend not to cover them unless it is a great deal, a global promo or a review of a stay.

Radisson is also unhelpful. If they offered us review nights at new hotels we’d do them, but they don’t.

• Having just had my first Radisson stay, with Gold via Amex, staying at Park Plaza Waterloo I can understand a lack of interest if that’s the yardstick. Great hard product but lack of quality with some staff and a struggle to get any loyalty club benefits.

• I’ve found them pretty unappealing in the UK but had an excellent stay at the Park Inn Oslo Airport. Points were vastly cheaper than cash, very nice upgraded corner room with water and fruit basket, also gave me free breakfast – very pleased to receive all of that as a Gold! (also easy walking distance under a covered walkway to the airport)

• Ok. Thank you for the reply

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Well I can’t argue with the page views, but can confirm that Radisson’s view of a “family room” is often ludicrously large or sometimes basically means two rooms for the price of one. which when combined with the relatively generous 3/1 transfer ratio from Amex, I would’ve thought is of great interest to the many HfPers with both Amex points and families.

Their offering in the UK is pretty mixed, but then look at some of the ropey old Hiltons knocking about.

4. Franco says:

Any ideas as to when Marriott Bonvoy are releasing their peak/off-peak dates for 2019 ?

• Matthew says:

I wonder when and how it will work too. Whether they will apply a blanket peak/off peak dates for all hotels and whether each hotel can set the dates. Or even if there is a minimum number of off-peak days etc.

It worries me that this will be exploited somewhat by the hotels and the lower “off-peak” award rates will be few and far between.

• TGLoyalty says:

Marriott will set the periods for the area ie local holiday seasons etc will be peak.

Ie uk in summer peak but Middle East in summer off peak etc.

• I was told it will be country wide and not left to the hotels. Probably 100 days peak and 100 days off peak.

• IMHO summer stays in the Middle East are better serviced with cash. Although if the hotels bring in point breaks at the same time as they’re in an off peak cycle some may be worth another look.

• Winston says:

It won’t be country wide! That would make no sence in their biggest home market? Maybe city?

• Scallder says:

Agree – otherwise might be able to get some cheaper ski stays as outside of ski venues, I would imagine Jan/Feb may well be low season dates…

• TGLoyalty says:

Maybe statewide for the USA but the point is it will be at an area level set by Marriott and not the hotels themselves

5. Michael C says:

Hmmm…Langley has “Stay for Breakfast rate, includes breakfast for 2 adults and children 12 and under” / “Your Way Family Package”, but at the same time does not have a single room that can accommodate 2 adults and a child…

• Having been through the descriptions of each room, the only room type where a rollaway bed is permissable is the Main House Suite.

It allows max. one rollaway bed and one cot.

6. Andrew says:

Rob, how does it work for booking a room at the Langley for 2 adults & a child with points please??

The base room says no crib/extra bed option…. any other options?

• Freddy says:

I haven’t checked the hotel but they may not offer rooms for over 2 people, many dont annoyingly!. The reference to a family room is the raddisson blu Cape town

• Alex W says:

Oh dear! Looks like I’ll need to buy a travel cot then!

• We don’t know, it’s not open yet!

• Scallder says:

Alex – whilst a more expensive option, look at the Baby Bjorn travel cot (we picked up one second hand on eBay) – very good and very light so very easy to travel with (we took it to NZ last year so very helpful). Also works as a play pen during the day!

7. Nick M says:

Tenuous link to Radisson family rooms…

Has anybody stayed at the Radisson or Marriott properties near Disneyland Paris and have a view as to which is a better option?

There’s a big difference in cash rates, but Radisson has a family room at 55k points and Marriott has a 2 bed townhouse at 35k points… assuming we use Amex MR then there isn’t a huge difference.

Currently undecided whether we’ll get the train (in which case I think Radisson might be better located) or drive (in which case the Marriott may make more sense).

I’d be grateful for for any views!

• You can also stay centrally – remember the RER runs to the park gates and you can pick that up in the city centre.

• Nick M says:

Thank you, hadn’t considered that…. was planning to keep the centre for a different trip though. Will have a look at some other options too.

However, children will be 2/5 – so closer to the park is probably preferable, otherwise it’ll be lunchtime before we manage to get there!

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Make sure it’s not lunchtime! The golden time to avoid the crowds (in pretty much any theme partk but especially Disney) is to make use of every one of the first 90 minutes after opening (which means arriving well before opening time if you are not already holding your tickets). On busy days you will be able to do more in this time than in all of the following 4-5 hours. Far better to arrive early and leave early when kids are tired.

8. What's the Point says:

Thanks for the post Tob.
    Just a booked one points night away in August at The Langley….I can only imagine what breakfast will cost!

9. Winston says:

Another cheap article… Another two hotels changing their policy’s soon!!

• Doubt it would make a difference. Did everyone rush out to reserve Yas rooms in Abu Dhabi? Both properties should be glad of the free advertising if anything.

• Winston says:

Yas Abu Dhabi will go to a Cat 6 or 7 once it’s upto W brand standards! It’s not there yet!

• What do you read this blog ?!! I personally read it to maximise value from points/loyalty
      A room at 400£+ with 35k is a fantastic example of maximising value … I have just booked a we stay.. Thanks Rob !

• Could you explain the reason for labelling this “cheap”?

• Winston says:

“Cheap” Another easy article highlighting “sweatspots” which at the same time rob is working with both these companies, both of these have been in comments before.
        HFP has got so big now as soon as they appear (unless it’s a sponsorship deal) they will be killed within a few days .

• Freddy says:

It’s a good deal but it’s certainly not an isolated offer, just look at London Marriott prices Vs points

• We have zero relationship with Radisson. Ever seen a review of one of their hotels on here which we didn’t pay for ourselves? Thought not.

As I can search the comments and you can’t, let me tell you that the Radisson Cape Town has NEVER been mentioned in HFP comments before today. The only previous reference to The Langley has been in a comment by me and was not discussing redemptions. But don’t let the truth get in the way of a good rant ….

I’m not entirely sure what you expect me to do with such bits of news when I come across them, except presumably email them to you directly so that only you can benefit.

• Sweatspot? Ugh…

10. Nick M says:

I noticed that line when I last paid my bill, nothing different to usual though

11. Mike123 says:

I’d really like to book the The Langley to get away with the Mrs, but sadly I don’t have any points. Neither myself or my Mrs. qualify for the SPG spend bonus, so I don’t have a way to make 35k points.

One option could be to get a relative (same surname) to take out an AMEX SPG card (I would refer them, bagging some MR refer points). I would pay the card fee and use a supplementary card spend the £1k required to generate the 30k welcome points, 3k bonus points and 3k spend points.

The million dollar question: could i get my relative to book a one night stay using points and then i turn up with my Mrs? Or is the room booking only for the SPG card holder?

• Mike123 says:

I could transfer 23,600 MR points to Marriot, but that doesnt seem like the best way. At a core value of 0.5p per MR, that’s £118. I think I get much more value from MR, so maybe more.

Paying the £75 fee for a relatives card and chalking up £1k spend is preferable, on the assumption that I can attend someone else’s booking

• TGLoyalty says:

Still a c£400 a night stay for £235 of points at the nominal 1p per MR valuation.

I’ll confess I have and do spend that sort of money on a couple nights in 5*/Luxury major city/London hotel. Tbh if it’s not as good as we think it will be redemptions are fully refundable.

• TGLoyalty says:

Transfer MR points?

• Marriott points can be transferred between two people up to 100k per year (need to call to do it). This would be the cleanest route.

• If you weren’t going to otherwise earn points by spending the 1k, this would be an option, however your relative would have to open a Marriott account to get the points (or they would open one for her I think). They could then transfer the points to you (after 90 days?) so you could make the booking yourself.