Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New Etihad discount codes and a points transfer bonus launched

Etihad has launched two new discount codes, worth up to 15% off the cost of a flight booked over the next two weeks.

The codes are:

• 15% off Economy Class flights – EYECO15
  • 15% off Business Class flights – EYBUS15

Here are the rules:

• Book by 15th April
  • Economy: travel outbound between 1st May and 30th June, return by 31st July
  • Business: travel outbound between 1st July and 31st August, return by 31st August
  • Discount only applies to the base fare, so the actual discount will be noticeably lower than 10% in Economy and a little lower than 10% in Business
  • Valid for departures from the UK, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, France, Spain, Italy and Netherlands

You can book via the Etihad website here.

Your best option to maximise your miles when paying is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold.  This offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.  Our review of Amex Gold is here.

Etihad Guest launches a 20% transfer bonus ….

Etihad Guest has launched another of its occasional transfer bonuses.

Details of the bonus are here.

For UK residents, the key transfer partners which will trigger a 20% bonus are:

Le Club AccorHotels

IHG Rewards Club

World of Hyatt

Radisson Rewards

Marriott Rewards

Hilton Honors

Shangri-La Golden Circle

HSBC Premier

Etiahd discount code

It is important to note who is NOT on the list – American Express Membership Rewards.  You will not get a bonus if you transfer from here.  Note that Etihad Guest is no longer a Heathrow Rewards partner.

Transfers must be made by 30th April.  The bonus will be added in a separate transaction within 15 working days of the end of the promotion.

You can find out more here. In addition, if you are not already an Etihad Guest member, you can sign up here and receive 500 bonus miles.

How to earn Etihad Guest miles from UK credit cards

How to earn Etihad Guest miles from UK credit cards (December 2022)

Etihad Guest does not have a UK credit card.  However, you can earn Etihad Guest miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.

Cards earning Membership Rewards points include:

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Etihad Guest miles which is an attractive rate.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Etihad Guest mile. The Gold card earns double points (2 per £1) on all flights you charge to it.

Comments (70)

• pointsarb says:

O/T Any thoughts on best airport lounge in HKG please folks? For outbound, I’m flying into HKG in CW and have a few hours between flights as we make our way to DPS. For inbound back to LHR, we are in F so can we use CX lounges at HKG?

Presumably, for outbound we are stuck with BA’s lounges for CW but which one is best at LHR please? We have PP via Amex Plat if that would be better for LHR.

Was also curious to check out the Amex Centurion Lounge at HKG too but opinions seem to be mixed?

Thanks all!

• pointsarb says:

Ps sorry forgot to add we are outbound on BA in CW from LHR T5

• meta says:

You can also use CX lounges in HKG on the outbound I think. Pier Business is great and Qantas lounge is a good alternative.

• ankomonkey says:

I enjoyed the Centurion lounge. Give it a try!

• Cat says:

The Pier Business on the way out, The Pier First on the way back. It’s worth popping by The Wing too, but The Pier is loads better IMHO. I also hear good things about the Qantas lounge, but haven’t been. Don’t bother with Centurion, it pales into insignificance compared to the others!

• pointsarb says:

Thanks for the responses all!

• Ant says:

OT: I am landing at T5 at 1830 BA and flying out of T4 Airmalta at 2030 with checked in luggage. Assume I have to pick up luggage & drop off does that mean I need to go out to the desks at departure terminal.
    Any advice?

• Chris L says:

I would say that’s ‘ambitious’

• David says:

Is this on two separate tickets? If so, I would make sure I had very good travel insurance, and have a Plan B ready to go for when you miss bag drop at T4…

• krys_k says:

OT – related to Hilton flash sale in bits a few days ago. I missed out on booking a room using the sale (thought it was open until 2nd, today, but maybe it closed on 1st?). Do these sales come up often? Next time I’ll just book straight away!

• laineyling says:

O/T and I hope Rob doesn’t object to me posting, please feel free to delete if inappropriate.
    For London based readers there is an app called Rituals that allows you to pre-order from a range of cafes/restaurants for takeaway. if you download with my referral code you get £10 credit.

At the moment there is a £1 food fest with a large number of retailers offering a main/signature dish for a £1, given you can use your credit for this its a pretty good deal. I have used in the City and in Canary Wharf, but not sure what is available in other parts of London.

• Tom W says:

O/T, i’m looking to arrange a Marriot Hotel redemption but rates with breakfast don’t come up when the points option is selected. Any chance it’s included?

Thanks

• ankomonkey says:

I prefer LHR T2 to LHR T5. In my experience, T2 is far less hectic and the business lounges are better.

• Lady London says:

+1. It’s just the looooong walk to the best lounges that must be wary of.

• Alex Sm says:

Yes, my partner and I once did a lounge crawl at T2 and got a lift by a friendly driver of Air India buggy from B gates to A gates!

• Grimz says:

OT, Do you get a bonus for adding a supplementary card to my BA Amex card? If you do get a bonus is it only for the 1st sup card or for every one you add?

• stevenhp1987 says:

First one you do. No further bonus on additional cards.

Doesn’t seem to trigger if you add it at the application stage though… I had to call Amex to manually credit the 3k points on my Amex Gold and BAPP for this very reason which, to their credit, they did.

• Grimz says:

I see you can have up to 99 free Supplementary cards, that’s a lot of shop small credit!!