Virgin Money

GOOD NEWS: American Express reinstates the old rules for Platinum travel insurance

Good news!

American Express has reinstated the old Terms & Conditions for the travel insurance benefit that comes with The Platinum Card.

There was a huge outcry from Head for Points readers when we highlighted the original change last week.  To put it into perspective, the original article was read over 25,000 times on the site – this was DOUBLE the 2nd most read article last week.  It was also read by our 13,000 email subscribers.

What is the rule now?

Here is a link to the travel insurance Terms & Conditions on The Platinum Card website.

Last week, American Express changed the wording (under the definition of ‘Account’) to say that you must pay on The Platinum Card to be fully covered by the insurance.

This was bad news, because many HFP readers preferred to pay with a different American Express card.  After all:

British Airways American Express Premium Plus offers double points on BA flight bookings at ba.com, earns 1.5 Avios per £1 on all other spend and spend counts towards your 2-4-1 Avios voucher (£10,000 spend required)

Preferred Rewards Gold offers double points for airline spend and double points abroad, and earns you 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points when you spend £15,000 per card year

Starwood Preferred Guest American Express offers double points at Marriott hotels

All of these cards are a better choice than paying with The Platinum Card which only offers 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent.

The old wording has now returned.

Look at the document now and it says that you can pay with (under the definition of ‘Account’):

“your consumer and small business cards issued by American Express in the UK, excluding corporate cards and any American Express cards issued by bank partners”

…. and still be covered.  American Express has confirmed to me that the old wording is back permanently.

Changes to American Express Platinum travel insurance

How does the Amex Platinum insurance work?

As a quick reminder, for medical and other ‘big stuff’, you are covered irrespective of how you paid for your trip.

However, for claims under the categories below, you needed to have paid with a qualifying American Express card – which last week changed to just The Platinum Card:

• Cancelling, Postponing and Abandoning your Trip
  • Cutting Short your Trip
  • Travel Inconvenience
  • Personal Belongings, Money and Travel Documents
  • Purchase Protection
  • Refund Protection

Note that the Amex website is not yet fully fixed

The insurance documentation – click here – has now been updated.

As of last night, however, The Platinum Card website still showed the following (click to enlarge):

Amex Platinum travel insurance

…. which still insists that a Platinum card is used for payment.  Hopefully this will get updated soon.

Thanks to everyone who complained to American Express, either directly or via social media, following our article last weekend.

Get 22,500 Virgin Atlantic miles for moving an EXISTING Stocks & Shares ISA
Virgin bits: VA announces 2018 loss, no more miles from West Coast rail, Jet Airways partnership on the rocks

Comments

1. Sorry, I’m not sure if this has been asked before. I have the following scenario:

What if I added my dad as a supplementary card holder, but my dad paid for his flight ticket using his own BA card. Would my dad be covered by the plat travel insurance, including the travel inconvenience cover? Thanks

2. Kenneth says:

In order to be fully covered by the Platinum Card car insurance, do I need to decline the car insurance that comes as standard with the car hire? I have two trip coming up shortly: one to the US, one to Sardinia. Plan to book through Avis. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• George says:

As far as I know you don’t need to – Platinum picks up whatever you’d have had to pay up to its limits. If you keep CDW and your excess is therefore £1000, Platinum should cough up for it.

• Shoestring says:

It’s the complete opposite with most excess policies, ie you *must not* decline the free insurance that comes with your car rental or you’d invalidate the excess cover being offered by Plat or any of the excess ins specialists.

What you decline at the car rental place is the optional (expensive) extra insurance.

• “decline the free insurance that comes with your car rental ”

Nonsense. Nothing is free.

• the_real_a says:

Decline whatever you can decline and AMEX will pick up the rest.

In the US its common for car insurance to also cover rental vehicles so they are well versed to have ALL insurance removed, and then become 100% liable for any and all costs in an accident. AMEX plat also allows you to do this, but i would not be comfortable. I`d much rather limit my exposure to just the excess since the regular insurance costs almost nothing. Its the “Super CDW” that is the extortionate cost.

• Shoestring says:

no – don’t decline what comes included (ie free/ standard insurance that comes with your car rental) or you will invalidate the excess cover

• the_real_a says:

I do agree that there is no benefit in declining something thats included free – and practically from a UK national’s perspective its virtually impossible to decline the CW element anyway.

• Rooster says:

I thought Amex plat was effectively just excess insurance not a full replacement car rental insurance

• It is 100% full replacement. The old terms brochure used to say in big letters at the top ‘Decline everything – it’s on us!’ or words to that effect.

• Rooster says:

Decline excess reduction insurance

3. I think the ammount of questions raised here ‘re Amex Platinum insurance cover have helped me come to the conclusion that it is risky for me to rely on this, particularly with health cover. I take Statins as my cholesterol level is just within acceptable levels but I believe that they are of benefit. Also I had investigations recently into a heart issue that thankfully resulted in a diagnosis of a benign condition. These two could I guess from reading the policy conditions result in refusal of cover in say a case of heart attack or stroke. Something I do not feel comfortable risking.

Has anyone spoken with Amex ‘re cover when taking Statins? Also I would very much appreciate any recommendations for quality annual travel health cover, ideally without the Amex ambiguity.

Thanks for any advice.

• Most decent plans undertake a pre-health check nowadays so both you and the underwriter know whats what before you even purchase never mind travel.

• Lady London says:

Staysure seems OK if you are their target vustomer. The important thing with them is full disclosure in which case i gather provided you play by their rules and keep them informef they seem to cover preexisting not always covered elsewhere.

4. Beverly A Mills says:

Why is this coverage not offered in the US?

5. Totally OT as no bits but this is the closest link, I’ve just received my first ever email from Amex highlighting the alleged benefits of paying by flexible installments. Apparently it may be useful if I wanted to stock up the fridge?!? Are they hinting they’re not making enough money out of me?

6. Off Topic but Platinum Card related.0

I signed up for the Amex Small Business Platinum Card and was approved on the 1st April. I received the priority card in the post but I still have not received the Amex card. Is this normal for the card to take nearly 2 weeks to arrive?

The reason I ask is that I now only have 2.5 months to spend the £6k to get the 40k of MRs.

Thanks

J

Ps. Thank you for this great site.