25% discount if you buy Marriott Bonvoy points

You have your first opportunity to buy Marriott Bonvoy at a discount since the scheme launched in February.

Via this page of the website, you will save 25% on all points purchases until 15th May.

You can buy up to 50,000 points per year, which will cost you $468.75 (£360) under this offer.

My rule of thumb is that a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p so this offer is not great at 0.72p per point.

However, you might find it worthwhile if:

you are topping off your account before making a points booking, or

you are planning a stay at a property where you know you will get outsized value

The snag with Marriott Bonvoy is that the annual points buying cap is too low to allow you to exploit the deal.  The St Regis New York, for example, can easily run to $1,300 per night including taxes, which makes 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points a great deal.  The problem is that you can only buy 50,000 points per year.

The link to buy is here if you are interested.

Buy Marriott points at a discount

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

How Amex Membership Rewards members can buy miles for up to 50% off
Top 10 reasons to get the Tesco Clubcard Mastercard

Comments

1. OT – Flying out of JFK T1 tomorrow – what’s the best priority pass lounge to use? I appear to have a choice of the KLM/AF and Korean Air lounges.

• Shoestring says:

In case you missed it yesterday, the £25 off £40 Amex deal is working again, also for repeats – I got it 4x yesterday. AMEX25OFF is the code you need, sold-by-Amazon goods only, you must part pay in Amex MR points but 10p of points is enough. Complete payment on Amex card.

Repeat: also works for REPEATS. I have used it 3x on our Amazon a/cs now.

• The Original Nick says:

Harry, I tried it Thursday with no luck. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll try it again this morning and if it works I’ll send the item back and re-order.

• Freddy says:

It’s a bit temperamental but I managed to get it to work. Got some cleaner and sprayer for my patio – exciting! Thanks for the reminder!

• The Original Nick says:

Are goods sold by Amazon EU S.a.r.L. included?

• Shoestring says:

give it a go – I love a free £25 🙂

and I love several times free £25 even more lol

• Thanks. Worked for me!

• Thanks Harry 2 out of 2 this morning (coffee pods)

2. Chris D says:

Is it possible to earn Virgin Flying Club Miles/tier points on KLM/AF non-codeshare flights yet, and is lounge access available on those carriers via the Flying Club scheme?

I noticed that KLM/AF now provide Virgin Atlantic in the FFP dropdown list upon booking, but presumably this would earn nothing if not a codeshare (which means booked from VS); are there plans for this to change?

3. When buying Bonvoy points does the transaction go through as Marriott or points.com?

4. KBuffett says:

OT but Marriott related. I’m at Le Royal Meridien Beach & Spa in Dubai.

Unfortunately no upgrade was available for Titanium Elite. I did really push them on this and apparently they are 6% oversold and actively trying to move people to Grosvenor House. They upgraded us to half board instead, which is nice as they certainly didn’t have to. We also get access to the Club lounge, which I must say is amazing. It’s pretty much a full board plan and there is the best variety I’ve seen in a lounge anywhere (even better than JW Marriott Essex House). The hotel is very bright and airy and even at full capacity doesn’t feel overcrowded.

Rob – I would thoroughly recommend this place, very child friendly. And if you don’t like dark hotels with dark rooms, this place is amazing. I popped over to the Ritz Carlton next door and I would hands down choose LRM any day.

Cue the comments from the Dubai haters.

• If upgrades are a priority it is always worth being mindul of the hotel we choose. Upgrades are less likely if we pick the most popular hotel in the best location on a weekday or high season because there will always be people prepared to pay for better rooms and suites. For this reason, I tend to pick the less obvious choice and at Hilton this has consistently worked a treat over the last four years as Diamond.

• Fair enough – but that does mean that you never really end up stying where you want – which is, in my opinion the biggest drawback to this hobby – looking for the “main chance” all the time. I’m trying to break myself of this “habit”!

• I didn’t mean to suggest I would inconvenience myself to increase chances of an upgrade. Take Prague for example, the Old Town is the obvious more popular hotel but it is hardly an inconvenience to opt for the large Hilton Prague which has more facilities. Likewise for flights, I’m not going to inconvenience myself with a middle of the night transit just to fly Qatar, the difference with other airlines is not enougb to prolong my journey and disrupt my sleep.

• KBuffett says:

A bit of an update.
      The Spa is OK but hasn’t been recently refurbished so could be better.

Oh, and John Barnes is currently here. Very friendly and happy to chat to other guests

5. 50k cap is annoying but remember friends and family who buy points can transfer them to you, with a transfer cap of 100k points if two people transfer in, you can get up to 150k points through this sale

6. Amex Amazon offer
    Would the spend £40,save £25 work with purchasing an Amazon gift voucher?

7. OT – Anyone know the latest in using Curve with VA Credit Card for HMRC payments and if there are any issues to be aware of please?, thanks

8. I know it’s unlikely, given that I had no takers last time for London, but I have a vast travelling karmic debt to repay from 2 decades of solo adventures, so I’m trying again anyway…
    If anyone happens to be in Hong Kong airport on Sunday afternoon / evening and doesn’t have lounge access already, I can guest one person in, if they’re travelling OW. The Pier and The Wing first class lounges are really quite pleasant places to spend some time…
    Happy travels all!

• Cat,
      I understand what you’re trying to do and it’s a good thing. I’m not in HK but I appreciate the effort to dish out some good karma to the travelling community. Keep it up! Matt

• Ditto. Hear hear re Cat! PS was in HK this week and would stick with the Pier.

• That’s the plan Leo, although I may pop by The Wing to use their rather lovely cabanas at some point! I agree, The Pier is much nicer otherwise.

• Thanks Matt, I’m trying my best to anyway!

9. £590 business to Tel Aviv? Or should it be £1590?

10. OT
    Has anyone who upgraded Green Amex to Platinum and spent £1,000 had the 20,000 points please?
    Did they appear automatically as usual?

• The Original Nick says:

@Mark2. Green Amex has just arrived which I referred my OH for last Sunday morning (received 18000 MR points and not 12000). How does she upgrade for the 20000 MR points if she’s held or cancelled an Amex card in the last few months? (cancelled SPG and Gold Charge card in Feb)

• I used this link https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/benefits/upgrade/platinum-charge/
        I do not think that previous cards have any effect in this case but only just reached £1,000 hence question.
        Interested to hear that you got 18,000; my wife referred me for Gold just for referral points but card not received yet. Fingers crossed.

• The Original Nick says:

Thanks. I noticed yesterday on via the Amex App that the referral from Amex Plat is still showing 18000 MR points but when you click on the link to refer it then shows 12000 MR points.
          I may just cancel the Green card but not sure yet! Or just not activate it.

• The Original Nick says:

When did your wife refer you and when did you apply? My 18000 points hit just yesterday so Sunday to Friday.

• My wife referred me on Wednesday so with the holiday it will probably be next weekend at the earliest.

• Did the upgrade at start of week, plat card arrived Thursday and online showed plat from Thursday but no points. I have done this in the past from gold to plat and points were there when online card changed to plat. Hope I don’t have to chase Amex…..

11. The Grand Cayman Westin and Marriott are around $800 or 60,000 points per night (unless peak pricing changes this in the next few weeks) at Easter next year when I’m looking to make a redemption so this would be a good deal for us. The Ritz Carlton is over $1000 per night, or 85,000 points but the $95 per night “resort fee” severely discourages me from staying there!