REGISTER NOW: IHG launches its new Accelerate promotion for May to August

IHG Rewards Club, the loyalty scheme covering InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc, has launched its new Summer promotion.

It is another version of the long-running Accelerate offer, although this time it is called “Make Every Stay Count”.

You can find out your targets, and register, on the IHG website here.

It is valid for stays between 1st May and 31st August.

IHG Accelerate Summer 2019 Make Every Stay Count

At present, there is a bug which seems to be stopping some people – including me – from registering.  You get a message saying that you are ineligible, but that seems unlikely given that ‘Accelerate’ offers are open to all.

I had no issues on my wife’s account.  Once I had registered my wife, she got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

14,400 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

5,600 bonus points for 2 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

4,500 bonus points for booking one ‘points and cash’ stay

2,800 points for staying at two different IHG hotels

Unusually, there is no additional bonus for completing all or most of the separate targets.

This isn’t a bad deal for my wife.  The first, second and fifth ones cut across each other, so a total of five nights, which takes in three different brands and two different hotels, will trigger (10,000 + 14,400 + 2,800) 27,200 bonus points.

Based on my 0.4p valuation of an IHG Rewards Club point, that is worth £109 or (divided by 5 nights) £22 back per night.  This assumes she does exactly five nights across three brands.  It isn’t worth doing a mattress run to hit this, but if we can point a few nights in IHG’s direction over the next four months it will be worthwhile.

As usual with IHG promotions, existing stays will count and do not need to be rebooked.  The only exception in the past has been for any target you have which insists on booking via the IHG app.

IHG Rewards Club Accelerate Make Every Stay Count bonus points promotion

Conclusion

The new IHG Rewards Club promotion is OK.  My wife has a less generous target than she did in the Spring, and of course I can’t even see my target yet.

Hilton Honors is offering ‘double base points’ as we wrote about here (you can register here).  If you do a lot of short, low cost stays then the new IHG offer may work out better, whilst Hilton might be better for short, expensive trips.  It is all down to your personal IHG Accelerate targets though.  We don’t yet know what Marriott Bonvoy will be offering for the Summer.

I strongly recommend signing up now given that the new IHG promotion is valid for stays from Wednesday night.  Even if you have no stays planned I would still register as 31st August is a long way away.

You can register for the new IHG Accelerate promotion here.

Top 10 reasons to get the American Express Rewards Credit Card
BIG NEWS: BA 'changing' the cost of Avios redemptions on partner airlines - but it won't say how much

Comments

1. Isolde says:

I was still showing as ineligible for the offer last night, so I called the Call Centre. First time I was told that I was ineligible as I had not received an e:mail. So I called again and a very helpful lady set it up for me. If you are still struggling it might be worth pushing the Call Centre to set you up.

After all the hassle the offer was underwhelming: only 35k points which I could achieve with 5 nights. As it happens I have over 30 nights stay this quarter so was hoping for a tougher offer.

2. neuromancer says:

Well, they’ve “fixed” it, that is it doesn’t say I’m ineligible, but no offers for me anyway.

3. Duncan says:

Finally an accelerate promotion that I might actually have a chance of participating in! I have to start by saying that I’m a very infrequent frequent traveller, so I could do with some experienced advice to help me plan.

Complete all your offers to get 39,800 total bonus points.

Discover Our Brands
    Stay at 2 brands and get 12,600 bonus points.

Stay at 2 IHG® Hotels
    Stay at 2 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 2,800 bonus points.

Your Achievement Bonus
    Complete 3 of the 3 offers and earn (an additional) 19,900 bonus points.

Stay for Less and Earn
    Book 1 stay(s) using Points & Cash and earn 4,500 bonus points. Points & Cash allows you to book Reward Nights with fewer points.

I already have a 3-night stay booked for start of August (2 nights on Your Rate and 1 Reward night). Will this count even though one of the nights is a reward night?

Then, if I do a points & cash booking for one night at a different brand will that count as my second stay for the other two offers, or will it not count as technically it’s just a Reward night once it’s booked?

Thanks for any advice.

4. David says:

Well despite repeatedly telling people to wait and/or keep trying – IHG suppprt have now changed their minds and are saying this is a targeted promotion.

What terrible promotion management. And to think I deliberately delayed booking some stats until targets were confirmed in case I need to updepnd anywhere.

Oh well back to Hilton and Marriott.

5. Daniel Evans says:

Semi OT but IHG have just dropped an Ambassador Electronic Free Night Voucher into my account which I assume is some sort of mistake as I’ve used my paper voucher this year. Has this happened to anyone else? I’d be interested to hear if they honour it at the hotel.

6. Mark says:

FYI: I just had this from IHG Rewards Club live chat:
    “I apologize, as of the moment the registration for accelerate is being done through email invites only, we are still finalizing the offer so all of our members can register through the website.” and “Keep checking your emails…”

• That’s nonsense, because I don’t think anyone has had an email invite yet!

7. Paul says:

I have to complete a corporate rate stay for some of this promo I do not qualify for this rate or nor have I.
    I have raised this issue with IHG and they have told me that I have stayed before using a corporate rate.

So basically I cannot hit my targets false advertising Id say!!

8. chris says:

7th May now. The site does not say ineligible, it just does nothing. I tick both tick boxes and the register button activates, but nothing happens when I click it. No offers, just a link to the standard offers page which has no bonus accelerate offers!
    I wonder if it is worth the effort sometimes.