See Wimbledon and Hurlingham tennis with Marriott Bonvoy

Marriott Bonvoy has launched its annual Wimbledon Centre Court tennis redemptions.  This year, there is an additional ‘buy it now’ deal available for the pre-Wimbledon exhibition tournament at The Hurlingham Club.

Let’s look at Wimbledon first.

Marriott has teamed up with ex-Wimbledon champion Stan Smith again.  There are 8 pairs of Centre Court tickets up for auction.  The date is Tuesday 9th July, which is the second week and will feature the Ladies Quarter Finals.

Historically these packages have included a group lunch but this does not seem to be the case this year.  You do get a ‘meet and greet’ with Stan during the day, however.  You can bid here, with a minimum bid of 75,000 Bonvoy points required.

If you want to get an idea of value, buying the same tickets via wimbledondebentureholders.com – the main resale website – would cost £2,300 per pair.

Marriott Bonvoy tennis

The second set of packages are for the Aspall Tennis Classic tournament at The Hurlingham Club in Fulham, which is the week before Wimbledon.  This is more of a garden party atmosphere and is recommended if you are less bothered about the tennis and more bothered about having a pleasant day out in the sun.

Marriott has packages for Thursday 27th June.  You get:

• Canapé reception
  • Two-course gourmet lunch
  • Three exhibition tennis matches
  • Use of a private box
  • Afternoon tea

This is a ‘buy it now’ redemption priced at 45,000 Bonvoy points for two tickets.  You can redeem here.  There were four pairs remaining as of last night.

Alternatively, you can bid (not ‘buy it now’) for the same package on Wednesday 26th June, but this comes with a tennis lesson from one of the ‘legends’ playing in the tournament.  You can bid for this one here.

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

New Qatar Airways promotion launching today
Top 10 reasons to get the American Express Rewards Credit Card

Comments

1. Alex W says:

Thanks Rob! Another fantastic redemption to keep Mrs W and mother in law sweet. These Hurlingham packages are going for £499 + VAT EACH on the website. I make that 2.66 pence per Marriott point!

• Not sure if you would ever pay £620 of your own money per head for Hurlingham, but that’s a great offer & would make a lovely day.

Pretty sure last year the auction price for the Wimbledon tickets ended up round the 225k mark.
      You get a pair of the iconic Stan Smith shoes as well.

Splendidly, his autobiography is titled
      “Some people think I am a shoe”

• I know Stan. The Marriott tickets are actually partially from me, as Stan buys my Centre Court debentures.

A few years ago I bought one of these packages via SPG and sold my own tickets (I always keep a couple of days for personal use) leading to great value per point!

2. Shoestring says:

Aha. Nectar points renewed expiry for 12 months – 4 pints of milk for me, bloomer sliced poppy seeds loaf for her, 1 point each.

Did you know you lose your Nectar points after 12 months of no activity?

Not that it will be bothering many people here in future as nobody will be getting an Amex Nectar card I guess.

• Charlieface says:

Come to think of it, if the 30k or even 40k turns up again it will be the best Amex sign up around.

• Shoestring says:

But virtually nobody will be able to get the bonus?

• Presumably get the 10k or 20k posted directly by nectar even if you do not qualify for the amex bonus.

• Shoestring says:

Nectar could easily be p[referable to SPG – that is effectively the choice. Nectar points, Marriott Bonvoy points, Avios: they all have both a monetary value and a preferred status that will be personal to you. The convertible nature of Bonvoys (to Avios, amonst others) doesn’t matter that much to me, as I have plenty of Avios.

Nectar can only be used (essentially) for buying stuff at Ebay or Sainsburys, @0.5p/ point. So 20,000 Nectar points on Amex (introductory bonus) = £100. But there are times when that would be worth £200 – when Sainsburys lets you spend up to £200 worth of Nectar in store @1p/ point. A real £200. (There’s another added value promotion on Nectar—>Ebay but limited.)

Whereas the best we can say about the introductory bonus on SPG (30,000 Bonvoys) is that provided you can get to 60,000 somehow, your initial 30K is worth 12500 Avios (or £125). Even if you luck onto the +30% BA promotion, you’d only get your £125 up to £162.50.

Nectar wins, as Charlieface said but didn’t quite understand 🙂

• Depends where you redeem though – you can smash the 0.5p valuation at peak times, although you are into the debate of whether you would actually pay $1,100 for the St Regis New York or slum it somewhere else instead.

• I’ve had £824 of nectar points in the past 3y, redeemed £700 of it all at double value. £50 on eBay, £100 on a htech cleaner and the rest on Virgin/LNER. £1400 For virtually effortless collection is a great return. I doubt I’d have managed that on clubcard without effort. Hoping my remaining £124 plus new earnings can double up on LNER for next year.

• Shoestring says:

Best sources of collecting for you?

• TGLoyalty says:

@ Harry

Have to be honest Marriot are worth so much more as Hotel points than converted to Avios.

Booked lots of hotels I would usually pay big money for a fraction of value of the points.

• @Harry: 2x amex nectar cards when they had the extra nectar bonus on top, 1x Sainsbury nectar credit card, 2x Sainsbury life insurance, loads of train journeys from EDB to HYM, loads of spend £10 and get a mystery bonus, loads of MOC for bonus/triple points, petrol coupons and the rest just regular Sainsbury spend. It helps that I am convinced Sainsburys around here are cheaper than Tesco, both for fuel and groceries. However, had a lot of good MOC through the post from Tesco recently so I’ve been there of late.

• @TGLoyalty, it depends what you use the avios for. I use mine for Xmas New Year flight. I’d be very hard pressed to find those flights for anything I’m willing to pay but I could always find an acceptable hotel for cash even at that time.

• @BJ “loads of spend £10 and get a mystery bonus” – indeed, and the best thing is if you go to the self scan tills in a bigger store, you often find the previous customers have not picked up their tokens….!

• LOL, never thought of that … thanks for tip, I’ll remember to both look and collect next time in case you’re in line behind me 🙂

• Genghis says:

As a reminder you can link your ebay account to earn points.

• Graham Walsh says:

Couldn’t you set an alert in Award Wallet for expiry?

3. @mkcol says:

Random OT/data point: 1 week group A (VW Up!) car hire in LPA with Avis pay on reservation
    As an AVIS Preferred customer through the app £68.85 – additional driver price £TBC!
    As a BA Gold customer £61.96 inc free additional driver (they do offer it through Budget for £37.26 but no “free” additional driver)
    As a Norwegian Rewards customer £128.10 inc free additional driver

Quite astonished at the discrepancy in prices.

• @mkcol says:

Irritatingly I never get my Avios as my surname is different on driving licence & BA profile (passport).

4. How long does a transfer from amex MR to bonvoy take? Is it instant? Thanks in advance.

5. OT – Plat Care Hire cover. Just wondering what am i covered for here and the process etc. as I have never used it in the past.

I am due to be in Sardinia next week and we have hired a car using my BAPP card. I do have a Platinum card, so I am just wondering a couple of things:

1) Does the plat car hire insurance cover excess charges should an accident happen?
    2) Does it cover additional drivers (named or unnamed)
    3) Must one pay for it on my Plat card or is using my BAPP fine?
    4) Should there be an accident, do I pay the excess charge on my plat card first then claim it back?

Cheers in advance.

• 1. Yes
      2. Obviously if the driver is not named on the rental agreement you are committing an offence and all insurance is void
      3. Any card, Amex not needed
      4. You pay and Amex reimburses, charge can be on any card

• +1
        Did this last week after SIXT accused me of scuffing an alloy.

Process couldn’t have been easier. Phoned Amex to ask about contesting it. They said as amount was so small (271euro) that they would just settle it. I had originally paid using Lloyd’s Amex as GNB to GVA rental.

Then paid the 271 euro on Amex nectar as have a target spend to hit and Amex paid the 271 plus the card transaction fee of approx £7 without having to submit any paper work.

Very impressed

• Sweet. thanks both.

• the_real_a says:

Tom H – did you phone AMEX or AXA?

RTS – its good practice to make sure you photo right around the car, any spare Tyre/accessories and the mileage and fuel level. If your phone can stamp the date and time all the better. Peace of mind and allows you to head off any “mistakes” when you check-in your car or if anything should happen in the future. This has saved me on many occasion.

• You’re probably best off reading the document rather than relying on what someone might post here, which isn’t guaranteed to be correct in the event that you need to use the cover!

6. OT – I had the “spend £500 and get 500 avios” offer x 3 on my BAPP – have received 1000 bonus avios for the £1300 taxes on a recent redemption, so it looks as though you don’t need to split the payments to get the maximum amount of avios from the offer.

7. BlueHorizonuk says:
    • Thanks 🙂 If I can get HKG on this I’ll cancel our avios redemptions.

• When are you in hkg. We are on same boat. Will cancel. We go end of Jan 20.

• Christmas, flying 24/12. I can be flexible with dates though to get this offer. Just a little hesitant about giving up my flexible ticket though as I’ve had to cancel once and change once in the last couple of years.

8. rams1981 says:

OT Posted in wrong thread before…

HSBC elite MasterCard – bonus for £12k spend posted on statement with fee for next year.

9. OT
    Quick question on BA Amex PP 241.

I have 1 x 241 voucher on my account currently but not hit the spend for the 2nd (almost there).

If I book for 4 people using one voucher, can I call up and have it repriced to include the 2nd voucher one it is issued?

If it makes a difference, I will also be calling up to add the return sectors once they are available and could probably do all of the changes at the same time. Hoping it’s as easy as just paying the £35 x 4 pax fees for the changes.

Any experiences of this? TIA

• No. One reader did tell me this week they had done it, but that was literally the first person ever!

10. EvilDoctorK says:

Perhaps ( probably ) a silly question .. but where are the Avios from the soon to be defunct Lloyds cards going.

I can still log in to Avios.com using the account details that they used to post to .. I can see there that nothing has posted since October 2018 ( I can see the upgrade voucher which I must remember to use – is the expiry date on that book by , or book and travel by ? )

The PDF statement on the account I have says go to ba.com/lloyds to see the info about the Avios collected .. but if I go there and login using my normal BA.com details then it just shows my normal BAEC account which has no trace of Avios from Lloyds other than the ones I transferred manually using combine by avios

It’s not that many at this stage.. and it’s soon going to be irrelevant !

• Highly likely that BA opened a new BAEC account for you and they are going there.

• Donal says:

Thanks – I’ll contact BA and see if I can retrieve them then – I assume this will be more fruitful than trying to chase via Lloyds !

• Expiry date is book by.

11. OT FlyingBlue: Both my partner and I got an email today offering up to 8000 miles on first hotel booking, Does not appear to be open to all though, so far I cannot find it anyplace else.