Etihad goes to FIVE flights per day from London Heathrow

Etihad is launching a fourth and fifth daily flight from London Heathrow.

The battle between Qatar Airways, Emirates and Etihad for traffic from the UK has just taken an extra twist.

As we covered recently, Etihad gained three additional slots at London Heathrow when India’s Jet Airways collapsed as part of a sale-and-leaseback transaction done a few years ago when Jet was in need of money.

We now know what Etihad is planning to do with the slots.

Between 22nd May and 22nd June, it will add a fourth daily Heathrow service

Between 23rd June and 8th September, it will add a fifth daily Heathrow service

Between 29th September and 26th October (the end of the Summer timetable) it will drop back to four daily Heathrow services

These additional services will be operated by a two-class Boeing 787-9 aircraft.  The business class seat is the same Business Studio which is on the A380.  I reviewed the Etihad A380 Business Studio here.

I would expect excellent Etihad Guest reward availability on these new services, especially over the next couple of months, and hopefully some competitive fares too.

If you are booked on Etihad between now and 26th October, note that EY11/12 and EY17/18 are being cancelled on certain dates, being replaced by a flight at roughly the same time but with a new flight number.  You should keep an eye on your booking to ensure any seat reservations etc don’t change.

If you are wondering what has happened to the 3rd Jet Airways slot, Air Serbia – in which Etihad still has an equity stake – will be using it for a service to Belgrade.

Etihad launching fifth daily Heathrow flight

How to earn Etihad Guest miles via UK credit cards

As a reminder, Etihad no longer has its own UK credit card.  However, you can earn Etihad Guest miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These are:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – 5,000 Membership Rewards points sign-up bonus

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Etihad Guest miles.  The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Etihad Guest mile.

Malaysia Airlines launches a new UK flight sale in Economy and Business
Big changes on the way at Radisson Rewards via its new Chinese owners, Jin Jiang

Comments

1. Bagoly says:

Flying airports – has a cousin of Lady London’s spellchecker taken over Rob’s keyboard?!

2. Shoestring says:

Anybody trying the £25 off £40 on Amazon today? It was working last night – also works on *brand new* Amazon a/cs, eg now is the time to sign up all your kids and any other hangers-on (miaaow!) to use AMEX25OFF. No age limit on Amazon members and it doesn’t seem to have a rule about homo sapiens only.

• Doug M says:

Worked two minutes ago on an existing account for L’OR coffee capsules. My own version of cat food. NIce one.

• OT @Harry: that 3x £10 thingy you gave me about a week ago and told me to be careful, I carefully chose number 12 and guess what… 🙂

• Shoestring says:

Good to hear 🙂

• …I lost!

• Shoestring says:

Got mine for better than free (they paid me to take the points away) because there was an extra £2.50 bonus going. Could only use twice, as used previously. 7550 Avios for free.

• Cool, with the price already low I couldn”t resist the temptation of a potential £350.

• Shoestring says:

That’s a decent haul of points

3. Russ says:

The Radisson news is very interesting. At first sweep, top tier in J-Club seems on par with Marriott platinum and it’s an Amex partner. Probably going to be a devaluation of the 1:3 amex transfer ratio but if J-club stays as it is you’re getting breakfast, late check out till 4.00 plus 20% off meals. Decent trade off.

4. Sarah says:

Seems crazy to be adding extra flights to the Middle East in the summer.

• Bagoly says:

Not everyone lives in London!

I agree that there is not much demand for London to Middle East when it is very hot.
      But the same flights service:
      – London to Asia via Middle East.
      – Asia to London via Middle East.
      – Middle East to London

• They are slot sitting. Heathrow has a rule that if you don’t fly 80% of your allocated slots per ‘season’ you lose them. As the record price for a Heathrow slot is $75m (paid by Oman Air in 2016) this is a very expensive thing to lose unnecessarily.

You also – and I didn’t know this until last week – have to fly them to a place you register. Etihad can’t just lease a tiny propeller jet, fly it to Norwich for the day and then fly it back later to retain the slot.

Here is another interesting Etihad fact. A380 aircraft have little cargo capacity. Etihad flies cargo planes into East Midlands Airport and ships – by road – most of its cargo from Heathrow to East Midlands, because there is no space. The 787s have a lot more cargo space.

Worth noting that Dubai hotels are running at about 80% occupancy in the Summer now. They are very good value – for a fraction of what you pay in Spain in August you can stay in a far, far more luxurious property. You can’t go outside between 10am and 3pm, but a lot of people are willing to make that trade off.

• Russ says:

Yep and Marriott are currently running a three nights for the price of two up until December – I think -in the middle east. Cheap points especially with double point’s offer currently running. Middle east executive lounges are very good and put UK one’s to shame.

• Anna says:

Ditto the Caribbean, and you CAN go outside during the day, in fact (despite the rampant humidity), temperatures hover around 30 C which can often be lower than in the Med.

• Mark says:

Didn’t BMI have some empty slot sitting flights to Cardiff operated by BMI regional?

5. DavidK says:

Am I being silly or does the article not state the destination of these additional services. Are they just do etihads Abu Dhabi base?

• Bagoly says:

Etihad has only one hub so “everyone” reads AUH (Abu Dhabi) without it being stated.

6. OT: just wanted to say thanks to Rob for our current trip
    Flights into Singapore and out of KL using 241.
    2 nights in Marina Bay Sands – only hotel paid for. Worth the money.
    2 nights at IC Middle Street
    3 nights at Hilton Kuching – status match to diamond.
    3 nights Penang Holiday inn – used Iberia points from offer in Sept
    3 nights at Ritz Langkawi – amazing hotel. Absolutely love this one. Pool is amazing. Gold member from Amex Platinum. Got upgraded to a suite – the size of our apartment in London plus terrace!
    3 nights Hilton Doubletree KL.

• Genghis says:

What were your thoughts on IC Middle St? We really liked it but I know others aren’t so keen.

• We liked it though we were out most of the time. The room was perfect for us, good size and spotless. The location was also ideal. Walked to most places and close to The Long Bar and Atlas Bar. Staff were also really nice and always with a smile.

• Pangolin says:

You got a suite upgrade at an R-C with Marriott (Bonvoy) Gold? Wonders never cease. Normally you’d need to be Titanium (2 levels above Gold) to have any chance of a suite upgrade in their properties.

• Crafty says:

Lucky you with a suite upgrade at RC Langkawi. Beautiful hotel. We looked longingly at the beachside villas each day…

7. MAY L LIM says:

Malaysia Airlines:
    Please be aware that MH has changed its pricing tiers to different check in luggage allowances. Effective 8 April 2019. Now the starting luggage allowance for international with the cheapest price point is 20kg, going up over 4 bands ending with 35kg. Be aware that the cheapest fare for domestic has no luggage allowance. Watch up when flying in from international then to domestic, & vice versa.
    Business class at whatever price band is 40kg. While business suites is 50kg.
    Most expensive economy may be more expensive than cheapest economy &/or additional luggage.

8. Vanessa says:

Malaysian airlines, at GBP2699 to south east asia (business), not exactly a sale price ?

• No, not difficult to get one stop flights to most Asian destinations for around £1700 routinely, and much less in genuine sales.

• Bangkok’s £2249 (almost always cheaper to go on somewhere in the region than just to KL), but agreed, not exactly headline-grabbing fares.

That said, I was happy to get Hong Kong – London return, with stopovers in KL both ways, for HK$19167 (approx £1875).

You can almost always get cheaper if you re happy to do two 7-hour legs with a Middle East transit. Personally I prefer a single 12/13 hour direct sector so I can get some proper sleep, but each to their own 🙂

9. Roy Badami says:

Notable quote from that article:

“Efrem Berman, Radisson’s head of global loyalty and engagement, said that “concept of recognition” is what’s important at this stage, noting there are no plans to fully integrate or merge the rewards programs into a new entity.”

10. Arthur says:

O/T I know but with the recent closure of Avios Rewards Programme and the (not unexpected) ending of the Flybe relationship where does this leave the “One Platform” project for all IAG loyalty schemes?

Will we see Iberia / BA accounts being migrated to the platform and operating like Aer Lingus any time soon?

11. Nick M says:

OT – I asked a few days ago about IHG availability rules… thanks for all the advice, I kept searching the hotel I wanted and the night I was looking for became available! In the meantime I had also booked 2 nights at a cheaper property in the same city, so now just need to decide whether we want 1 nice night away or 2 more reasonable nights!

12. illuminatus says:

OT – another BA promo, Get 50% bonus Avios when you buy or gift Avios before 21 May 2019.

• Shoestring says:

300K for 1.07p
      smaller multiples not much more

might as well buy a decent stash at this price! 🙂

• PaulC says:

But counts as a transaction on your AMEX card for Reward points or Avios depending on card presumably?
      Are these worth buying for the sake of it or just if your short and need a boost to make a booking soon?

• Not worth buying speculatively at 1.1p – see my article tomorrow – unless you have a decent short term plan for them.

• John says:

Remember the upcoming devaluation at end of the month (article a few days ago)

• Shoestring says:

Can’t do anything much without a nice stash in the bank.

I booked 4 tickets out last week start of Easter hols 2020, and 5 of us back on Easter Monday 2020 – all on Avios – massive cash saving vs buying cash tickets – peak hols – value per Avios achieved was well over 2.5p/ point in aggregate – so buying those points for 1p & change/ point would have made a helluva lot of sense.

13. Yes, from what I understand it will be similar to the Marriott-SPG tie-up, at least initially.

14. Sarah says:

Completely OT but does anyone know who to login in to the Accor places app? It continually says I am entering the wrong card number. I only have a membership number (which I am assuming the same). I have got nowhere with customer services.

• Sarah says:

*how not who

• EwanG says:

I’d recommend avoiding the app and using the website, going to placesbyleclubaccorhotels.com
        You’ll need to go in via Facebook. Unsure how you link your account in there as mine is already linked, but should be pretty obvious.

15. Clive says:

OT – Anyone know when next collection period for Tesco ends

• Sarah says:

Says points collected before 3 May on Tesco app

• And 2nd May on desktop view so who knows.

• Shoestring says:

BJ/ Xcalx/ all – Europcar is glitching & giving over 20% discount, faster paying as well (pays out in about 5 weeks) – can cancel bookings free of charge within 48 hrs of booking

• Charlieface says:

Did exactly that a while ago on a 10% halifax offer for £1k booking. By the way generally Europcar has the best rates on cars.easyjet.com. You can still get c/b just copy over the url parameters from the standard click-through and then do a retro-claim.

• tom1 says:

pay upfront?
          but cancel before 48 hours prior to rental date?

• Shoestring says:

that’s it

• jeremy i says:

is this anything to do with me being able to get rid of my xmas saver cc vouchers? sorry if thats a dumb question but so many coded messages on here! spent around 300 quid on fuel so far… 400 or so left to spend.

• @Jeremy, no. If you want rid of those in a hurry just pick up an iPad, return it and ask them to refund you onto any card you like.

16. Tom W says:

O/T: I referred a friend to Amex Gold several weeks ago pre slashing of bonuses but he only applied using the link yesterday after the cuts, am i likely to get the original referral bonus or the new lower amount?

• Shoestring says:

lower (I reckon) – but you never know

your friend will definitely have linked to the new/ revised T&Cs for joining (ie lower)

if lower as referrer, if you had a screenshot of the original referrer’s bonus, that’d help

or you could argue the point for the missing MR points, ie you were offered x but got y

• Tom W says:

Good point. I should have known to screenshot everything at the moment! Will wait to see what comes through and speak to customer services if needed.

Thanks

• Callum says:

Amex know full well what the bonus was and when, an incredibly easily faked screenshot doesn’t prove anything so I wouldn’t worry about it.

In fact, I assume you can still make one now from the cached page on Google, or the Internet Wayback Machine, if you really wanted.

17. OT @Harry, Anna and other half term experts: What are your predictions for sumner half term 2020 peak dates? I’m guestimating Saturday 23-Sunday 31 May inclusive peak, all of June off peak and all of July peak. Does this sound reasonable or do you folks think peak will still run into first few days in June and off peak into first few days in July as has been the pattern until now?

• Shoestring says:

I reckon peak will *at least* include all of 23/5-31/5 – that’s when my kids both get their half term hols

then most of June off peak (not the first couple of days as you say), then peak beginning again Sunday 5th July

• Thanks. That has been the pattern in the past but I wondered if it might be different next year the way the weekends are falling in. I’m hoping off peak will start 6th June and end 3rd or 5th July as you suggest. I want to get a peak flight in early July, not that it matters much as peak will only cost me another 15k avios as we will use a 241.

18. Should I open a J-Club account now (speculatively) or wait for the merger in terms of a better sign-up bonus?

19. Also not entirely clear what will happen to the services between 8 and 29 Sep…

20. Shoestring says:

My son & I are travelling out with BA to our place in the sun (at half term) on IB points from the IB90K deal. Ie Avios redemptions. Out in Business, back in Economy.

We’re both earning a chunk of Avios and 40 TPs for the trip, booked as a return. That’s what it says in MMB (BA).

Is that what you’d expect for an Avios redemption using IB points?

• Shoestring says:

Booked on IB, I should add.

• Shhh, it happens sometimes. Let’s not uncover the scale of the issue here and draw attention to it.

• TGLoyalty says:

MMB regularly shows it and you get nothing too. I got nothing for a business return with Iberia booked via Iberia which was showing TP in MMB.

I hear upgrades with Avios often pay out the higher cabin TP and Avios though.

• I’ve had one success with the former and 2 with the latter. Have a nice one sitting there for July so I’m hopeful but expecting nothing.

• Also had the scenario where they didn’t charge me but everything was in order on MMB, only I got to check in to discover I didn’t even have a ticket. So, best not to believe everything you see on MMB.

• Charlieface says:

You should always check your booking to see it has the 15 digit e-ticket number. The 6 digit number is just for the folio of reservations, there may be no ticket attached. This applies to cash tickets as well.

• That’s the thing, there was an e-ticket number, everything was legitimate, I even selected seats and booked meals. First sign of a problem was when I tried to check in online. It didn’t work but even then I thought there would be some good reason for it. Next day I am at check in, agent said there was no ticket, showed her all the paperwork, more tapping of her keyboard still no ticket. Telephone call, still no ticket. Sent to ticket desk, fortunately there was a CW seat left, following a short call she took payment and issued ticket. Agent said it happens sometimes but is very rare.