Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Free cups of tea now available in British Airways short-haul Economy – if you bring your own teabag

Tea lovers rejoice, for free tea is back in British Airways Euro Traveller (Economy).

Sort of.  And it is a secret, so don’t tell anyone.

Free tea in British Airways economy with new trick

The new Marks & Spencer on-board menu was launched on 1st May.

I will go into some of the changes in a minute, but the key fact is that the tea has switched from Twinings to Teapigs.

Why is this key?  The Twinings tea came with a built-in cup.  Teapigs does not, so British Airways is using its own paper cups.

And ….. they will give you one for free!

You don’t get a free teabag, of course, because that would be c-r-a-z-y.  However, according to cabin crew I know:

you can have a free paper cup

you can have some free hot water

However …..

you must bring your own teabag

HFP readers who have British Airways status will be getting excited now, because loose tea bags are available in the lounges at Heathrow and Gatwick.  You can now pinch a teabag from the lounge and have a free cup of black (I doubt you will get free milk) tea if travelling in Economy 🙂

If you don’t bring your own bag, a cup of tea is now £2.50.

British Airways and Marks and Spencers food

Elsewhere on board, the changes include – and note this is not a full list:

The coffee is now Cru Kafe, which comes in a bag.  Apparently the old coffee, which Anika has consistently raved about, was unpopular with some customers who did not like the filter or having the granules floating around.  Initial feedback online to Cru Kafe has not been great, to be honest.

New lines include Love Cocoa Hot Chocolate, Loveau Raspberry, Strawberry & Blueberry Infused Sparkling Water, Estini Espresso Martini and Pinkster Small Batch Raspberry Gin

Brewdog’s Speedbird 100 IPA is available (£4.45 per 330ml can)

The hot option is a mozzarella and tomato flatbread (£4.95)

Children can choose a Marvin’s Magic Activity Box with snacks and games (£6, not an M&S product)

Afternoon tea with scone, jam and clotted cream is added for £5 (not an M&S product)

British Airways is also offering 15p off tea or coffee if you bring your own cup.  Stojo collapsible cups, see image above, are available for £10.  My wife has one of these and finds it useful, with the 50p saving in Pret soon covering the cost …..

The full Euro Traveller food and drink price list can be found on ba.com here.

Comments (106)

• Kevin says:

OT. Got Lloyd’s upgrade voucher, am I right that I can use it to upgrade from economy standard or basis to premium economy or business if bought the premium economy ticket?

• Lev441 says:

It works as long as there’s space in Your desired cabin for an Avios reward booking.

• David says:

And it’s only on redemptions, and only at the time of booking. If you’ve “bought the Premium Economy ticket”, you can’t use the voucher on this trip.

• Alex W says:

Lloyd’s voucher cannot be used for first class, for some reason.

• Kai says:

It’s rather a discount voucher. You book the award ticket at the lower band price.

• Anna says:

Yes – so for example you would get CE for the avios price of ET, or CW for the avios price of WTP, plus the cash element. You can use the voucher for 2 one-way journeys or one return.

• Kevin says:

Thanks for the advices

• Henry Young says:

BA introduces tea bagging – who’d have thought ….

• the_real_a says:

I generally just fill my travel mug with coffee in the lounge before a flight (along with my water bottle). Occasionally a biscuit may fall into a my bag.

• Prins Polo says:

So sad and pathetic. Flew Virgin a few days ago (in economy class – for a change!). My first thought was that VS could do many things cheaper, but decided not to. BA is doing the exact opposite.

I used to be exclusively loyal to BA – now I fly VS/DL a lot, have built Star Alliance Gold status in the past year; still fly Oneworld enough to comfortably requalify for BA Gold, but most of this comes from JL, QR, AA etc.

• Deborah Nicholson says:

Recently travelled back from Madeira and my grandchildren were looking forward to me bringing them a new magic box full of treats back. BA, why do you advertise these products if you are not going to load them on board the aircraft? or so we were told. Poor service on board in Club, no duty free run by the crew even though there was plenty of time, come on BA you are supposed to be upping your game to compete with the rivals who are snapping very close to your heels, time for a change methinks.