BA sale

Free cups of tea now available in BA short-haul Economy – if you bring your own teabag

Tea lovers rejoice, for free tea is back in British Airways Euro Traveller (Economy).

Sort of.  And it is a secret, so don’t tell anyone.

Free tea in British Airways economy with new trick

The new Marks & Spencer on-board menu was launched on 1st May.

I will go into some of the changes in a minute, but the key fact is that the tea has switched from Twinings to Teapigs.

Why is this key?  The Twinings tea came with a built-in cup.  Teapigs does not, so British Airways is using its own paper cups.

And ….. they will give you one for free!

You don’t get a free teabag, of course, because that would be c-r-a-z-y.  However, according to cabin crew I know:

you can have a free paper cup

you can have some free hot water

However …..

you must bring your own teabag

HFP readers who have British Airways status will be getting excited now, because loose tea bags are available in the lounges at Heathrow and Gatwick.  You can now pinch a teabag from the lounge and have a free cup of black (I doubt you will get free milk) tea if travelling in Economy 🙂

If you don’t bring your own bag, a cup of tea is now £2.50.

British Airways and Marks and Spencers food

Elsewhere on board, the changes include – and note this is not a full list:

The coffee is now Cru Kafe, which comes in a bag.  Apparently the old coffee, which Anika has consistently raved about, was unpopular with some customers who did not like the filter or having the granules floating around.  Initial feedback online to Cru Kafe has not been great, to be honest.

New lines include Love Cocoa Hot Chocolate, Loveau Raspberry, Strawberry & Blueberry Infused Sparkling Water, Estini Espresso Martini and Pinkster Small Batch Raspberry Gin

Brewdog’s Speedbird 100 IPA is available (£4.45 per 330ml can)

The hot option is a mozzarella and tomato flatbread (£4.95)

Children can choose a Marvin’s Magic Activity Box with snacks and games (£6, not an M&S product)

Afternoon tea with scone, jam and clotted cream is added for £5 (not an M&S product)

British Airways is also offering 15p off tea or coffee if you bring your own cup.  Stojo collapsible cups, see image above, are available for £10.  My wife has one of these and finds it useful, with the 50p saving in Pret soon covering the cost …..

The full Euro Traveller food and drink price list can be found on ba.com here.

Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss (May '19)
Emirates wants to launch a new UK credit card

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. Alejandro says:

OT: Can I book a family room (a family of four) at IC using Ambassador free weekend certificate? Thanks

• RichT says:

Depends on the hotel. Some offer all rooms at the rate, others restrict it. If you search on the Ambassador booking site you’ll see if the rate applies for your room type.

I assume you mean the 241 voucher not a free night certificate (I.e. A points reward voucher)

• Officially no. HOWEVER a lot (most?) InterCons list most or all of their rooms as bookable with the ‘2 for 1’ voucher. When we were in HK last year we booked a Junior Suite for eg.

If the hotel has a room that sleeps four, there is a fair chance that it is bookable with the voucher. If you have a specific hotel in mind, I’m sure someone can look it up (I can’t as I let my Ambassador lapse this year).

2. Qwerty Bertie says:

Recently I’ve read so many things that put me off ever flying with BA. Please tell me at least their business and first classes are worth bothering with, and assure me I haven’t built up a stash of avios & voucher for nothing. I’m being serious, as I see so many people on here running down those BA classes too.

• The Original Nick says:

The new BA suites are worth waiting for though.

• BA is okay product-wise- there’s a huge culture of complaining about them. First is fine although as you will hear/read a lot on the net BA First is in some ways just a really good business product. The new business product is overdue but so far looks as good as any other out there. Their short haul product is pretty similar to any other European legacy carrier . Finding redemptions you actually want can be a pain, just try and be flexible.

• Calvin says:

I’m inclined to not comment on a public forum, but is BA First not just a business class product? Apart from the Concorde Room if you’re flying out of London Heathrow, there is no discernible difference between BA First and, say, QR/EK/SQ/CX Business, both in terms of hard and soft product.

• Will says:

With the right seat selection and a good cabin crew BA business is a fine experience, eh upper deck on a 747, or centre pair for a couple on a A380/777.

You get a bed and the food is decent enough.

Sure it’s not the best product but once you have a bed we’re talking relatively small differences compared to an economy/prem economy seat.

These days I try to get some sleep and am less concerned with eating and drinking and more interested in arriving as fresh as possible for a holiday to make the most of it.

• Artur says:

Just to put you off a bit more .Yestardays flight
      from Gatwick to JFK in club world(BA2273) .Dirty table with some liquid spilled on it , wine and champagne served in water glasses , salad starter made of 2 cherry tomatoes and dry slad leaf ,no drink offered with the starter ,main course of beef fillet served with 2 pieces of broccoli and 2 potatoes (one of them half rotten ) some lumpy sauce in tin foil cup .Absloulty disgrace and excuse for an airline .Had a better service in air china economy

3. Kevin says:

OT. Got Lloyd’s upgrade voucher, am I right that I can use it to upgrade from economy standard or basis to premium economy or business if bought the premium economy ticket?

• Lev441 says:

It works as long as there’s space in Your desired cabin for an Avios reward booking.

• David says:

And it’s only on redemptions, and only at the time of booking. If you’ve “bought the Premium Economy ticket”, you can’t use the voucher on this trip.

• Alex W says:

Lloyd’s voucher cannot be used for first class, for some reason.

• It’s rather a discount voucher. You book the award ticket at the lower band price.

• Anna says:

Yes – so for example you would get CE for the avios price of ET, or CW for the avios price of WTP, plus the cash element. You can use the voucher for 2 one-way journeys or one return.

• Kevin says:

Thanks for the advices

4. Henry Young says:

BA introduces tea bagging – who’d have thought ….

5. the_real_a says:

I generally just fill my travel mug with coffee in the lounge before a flight (along with my water bottle). Occasionally a biscuit may fall into a my bag.

6. Prins Polo says:

So sad and pathetic. Flew Virgin a few days ago (in economy class – for a change!). My first thought was that VS could do many things cheaper, but decided not to. BA is doing the exact opposite.

I used to be exclusively loyal to BA – now I fly VS/DL a lot, have built Star Alliance Gold status in the past year; still fly Oneworld enough to comfortably requalify for BA Gold, but most of this comes from JL, QR, AA etc.

7. Deborah Nicholson says:

Recently travelled back from Madeira and my grandchildren were looking forward to me bringing them a new magic box full of treats back. BA, why do you advertise these products if you are not going to load them on board the aircraft? or so we were told. Poor service on board in Club, no duty free run by the crew even though there was plenty of time, come on BA you are supposed to be upping your game to compete with the rivals who are snapping very close to your heels, time for a change methinks.