BA sale

Important dates for your diary – offers about to close which you shouldn’t miss (May ’19)

Here is the latest edition of our fortnightly feature which summarises offers that are ending soon. It pulls together the different deals mentioned on our Avios Promos, Hotel Promos, Credit Cards and regular article pages.

calendar

Looking at this list, there are a lot of deals to have a look at, but not many actually stand out.  Wednesday is the last day to make a Miles & More redemption before the (modest) devaluation so you want to lock in any future bookings now.

If you want to earn quadruple Accor points, the 12th is the last day to book your stay.  The ‘£25 cashback on a £25 Wheely ride, valid three times’ offer via Amex has been very popular with HFP readers in London – see Friday 17th for details.

Note that Hilton is launching its new ‘double base points’ promotion today.

Deals closing soon:

Monday 6th May

FIRST day for Hilton‘s new ‘double base points’ promotion, ‘Go More Get More’.  ArticleRegister.

Last day for up to 20% off Qatar business and 25% off companion business fares. Article.

Tuesday 7th May

Last day to save an additional £100 on holiday packages (flight+hotel or flight+car) over £2,500 and an additional £50 on holiday packages over £1,250 in the current BA sale.  Article.

Wednesday 8th May

Last day to make Miles & More redemption bookings before the devaluation. Article.

Last day for the Malaysia Airlines sale. Article.

Sunday 12th May

Last day to book an Accor stay and get up to quadruple points (stay by 31st August).  Article.

Monday 13th May

Last day to for the Amex / Laithwaites cashback wine offer (£25 on a £100+ spend). Article.

Wednesday 15th May

Last day to get £50 or £75 cashback on a £250 Hilton spend via Amex, if targeted. Article.

Last night to earn 1,000 bonus Hyatt points per night. Article.

Last day for a 25% discount when you buy Marriott Bonvoy points.  Article.

Friday 17th May

Last day for Amex/Wheely offer – get £25 cashback when you spend £25 on a ride.  Article.

10am! Last chance for the Hilton India sale.  Article.

Sunday 19th May

Last day for exceptionally good Lufthansa and SWISS Business and First class sale from the UK.  Article.

Review of Cathay Pacific's The Pier First Class Lounge at Hong Kong Airport
Free cups of tea now available in BA short-haul Economy - if you bring your own teabag

Hilton India and SEA sale
BA sale

Comments

1. TODAY: Last day for Marriott Europe flash sale 30% off.

• Matt says:

Hey BJ,

Have you ever actually got the 30% off?
      Every time I use the Marriott codes like M96, I get the exact same rate as the prepaid rate – sometimes more expensive than the prepaid rate.

The fake Marriott special codes drive me a bit nuts? Spoken to their customer service agents and they agree they are useless..

Cheers Matt

• Nope, rarely stay at Marriott, don’t like them much based on prior stays and experience. Would not be surprised about the sales, Hilton sales are generally a dud too IME. IHG seem to be better but often they are just overpriced to begin with for what you get in many cases.

• Lady London says:

+1 BJ although i have yet to give Marriott a try in Europe/uk really…

What I like about Hilton is that even though some of their properties have disadvantages, at every Hilton I’ve stayed in of any level i feel it’s being run by professional hoteliers. There is a system there. In the odd IHG HIX for example i’ve felt staff were just randomly doing a job rather than being professional hoteliers.
          Even felt that at the odd IC. It’s hard to put into words. Even if i dont like something about a particular Hilton the Hilton standards are still perceptibly there.

Accor has standards but somehow feels less like traditional hotels than Hilton. Obviously I’m not staying at enough Sofitels and would love to know other readers opinion as to : Have Fairmont properties kept their same feel since being taken over by Accor? I’ve stayed in very few Fairmonts but really really liked each one and felt each one was a proper hotel experience. Bit wary since Accor grabbed them though.

• Mark2 says:

I am staying in four Fairmont (formerly CP) hotels in Canada over the next to weeks and will report back. The question for my wife is ‘will they still have a company dog?’

• I returned to Hilton about 4-5 years ago after I realised obtaining and retaining Diamond wasn’t too challenging. This time my experience has been great because I’ve done my homework and avoid the old school horror hotels. I focus a lot on Doubletree and newish openings. Only bad DT experience was Newcastle Airport where one of the ladies in reception was a horror story all by herself. DT Chester was let down a little by damp smell in the rooms and HGI Glasgow by their standards of housekeeping. Apart from that I’ve been very satisfied with Hilton. Accor I has never been near top of my list, outside Asia even midrange Novotels had a budget feel to my thinking. I’m sure Sofitel is different, only ever stayed in one, the St James and it is super. Not sure, but I’m guessing with the diverse range of hotels they now have, they must be allowing them to keep their own identity. It would be a big mistake not too. In general though I have found all the chain to be superior in Asia when compared to both Europe and the Americas. For example, there are many HI hotels in Asia that are better than CP and even IC hotels here.

• DaveL says:

Mark2 – visited three fairmonts in Canada last October (stayed in two). Stanley the Labrador was resident at Jasper Park Lodge and available for walks etc. I didn’t bump into a ‘canine ambassador’ at the others…

• TGLoyalty says:

The pre paid rate is the one with up to 30% off the Best available rate

• Lady London says:

Yes it was discounting in Italy. Only problem was i’m not there on the dates for the promo..

With quite a few promos out there in Europe covering peak summer period this year, i’m wondering if hotel bookings for the period this year are soft.

2. Tuesday 7 May: First day for new HFP writer I believe ….so let’s be nice and on our best behaviour with comments 🙂

3. Neil Donoghue says:

OT: Sorry no bits article today. If I cancel my BAPP card before my points transfer over, do I lose them or do I have 30 days like with MR points?

• Scott says:

You’ll lose them

• Doug M says:

First time I cancelled I lost them. Last time around they transferred over a couple of weeks later. Not sure if that was just the timing of the cancellations.

• Qwerty Bertie says:

I believe that the way this works is a two stage process.

1. Spend accumulates avios on account during the statement month; this is lost at the point of cancellation if not yet transferred.
        2. Once per month avios is transferred from the account to BAEC; once the transfer is begun, the avios will still credit BAEC even if the card is cancelled before they arrive there.

I reiterate, this is just my belief/I have not seen this written anywhere.

• Genghis says:

When I’ve cancelled a BAPP early in the statement month and have a de minimis amount of avios earned, they have appeared in my BAEC acct on next the normal posting date.

I’d wait however.

YMMV.

• When you cancel the link between the accounts is broken. I would wait – it can be more bother than it’s worth to get the points.

• Qwerty Bertie says:

In spite of how I just posted I believe it works, I would nonetheless follow Liz’s advice if a worthwhile number has just been transferred/wait until they arrive to be sure! The card fee is about 50p per day…worth a few of them if you have more value in points being transferred.

• Neil Donoghue says:

Thanks everyone! Looks like my £12k transaction just missed the cut off date by 1 day so I’m going to sit it out and wait for the next statement.

• Mark2 says:

Definitely worth waiting. I cancelled expecting to lose 200 and they did appear but no guarantee.

4. No bits today:Anyone managed to use successfully the AMEX25OFF these passed few days?

• Shoestring says:

4th May (reportedly) – they got error message but at checkout £25 discount was applied

• Hmmmm... says:

I spoke to the CS as kept getting error message and no joy at check-out either. They said that there was a limit to how many times it could be used and that limit had been met. I wonder if it had anything to do with multiple accounts being used by the same person… 🤔

5. Andrew says:

OT – no bits (sorry!) – BA Holidays have some good deals on car hire at the moment… £86 for a week’s hire of a VW Golf in August in Lanzarote isn’t bad at all…

6. Qwerty Bertie says:

Hang on, that’s 0.1% of Nigel the Pensioner’s Centurion annual renewal fee right there!

Glibness aside, although this particular one is not for me I admire Shoestring’s many cunning ploys, which all add up faster than you might think, and I applaud him for sharing them. He gets out there and sniffs out points like a coked-up boar on a truffle hunt.

7. If only your students at IC knew…come on Alex, it’s simple 🙂

8. Peter says:

It looks as if the Malaysia sale is now extended to 13th May as the sale link above is showing “book before 13th May”.

9. Craig says:

OT: No bits. Just working through the green to platinum process with Amex. Is it worth hitting the sign up bonus for the green before upgrading?

• Mark2 says:

When I had gold charge I got the sign up bonus before upgrading.
      There is the risk that the upgrade will be withdrawn.

10. Tilly says:

O/T sorry no bits. Has anyone stayed at the Millennium Hilton Seoul? Reviews on TripAdvisor are good but would like opinions from the lovely well travelled HFP’ers. Is it a good base for sightseeing around Seoul?

Also, any good recommendations for hotels in Tokyo and Kyoto? I’m Hilton gold and Marriott gold. Value the comp brekkie with Hilton but if there are good hotels in the Marriott family to consider then will check them out too.

TIA.

• Genghis says:

We liked Courtyard Namdaemun in Oct. Good location.
      RC Kyoto.

• Tilly says:

Thanks Genghis. Knew I could rely on a response from you. Will definitely look into the Courtyard Namdaemun. Saw the RC Kyoto but not paying £600 p/night, really steep for us poor civil/public servants when on a long trip and won’t be spending much time in the hotel.

11. Jonny says:

OT: I still have the gold charge card. I did have a personalised upgrade to plat link, but it appeared for about a day then disappeared a few months ago! Is there any difference between just using the generic upgrade to plat link that you can google, or is it worth making a call to the call centre to upgrade and hopefully bag those bonus points?

• Anne says:

I upgraded my green card to plat last month through the generic link and got the 20k MR no problem. Have also done the same twice in the past from gold charge and never had the personalised link. So in my experience you should be ok but to be fair I have heard anecdotally of instances where it hasn’t worked.