Hilton Hotels is 100 years old today!

The Hilton hotel group is 100 years old today.  It was 31st May 1919 when Conrad Hilton purchased his first hotel, the 40-room Mobley Hotel in Cisco, Texas.

Things have moved on since then, with the group now running 5,600 hotels in 113 countries and territories.

Chris Nassetta, President and CEO of Hilton, said:

“100 years ago, our founder Conrad Hilton had a noble idea: that travel can make the world a better place.  That deep-rooted sense of purpose has fueled our transformative impact on people and communities all across the globe, as we have welcomed 3 billion guests, employed 10 million Team Members and contributed $1 trillion in economic impact.”

Hilton 100th birthday

I only mention this because many Hilton properties will be organising special events for guests today.  If you are staying at a Hilton tonight, keep an eye out for a drinks party or potentially a gift in your room.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Hilton Honors Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

IHG Rewards Club stops Miles & More transfers
See Wimbledon with Hertz (no bids so far!)

Comments

1. Sandgrounder says:

Hertz have just had a big devaluation. I was close to a free off peak week in the US, but it just went up from 2750 to 3750. Ouch! UK and Europe rewards pricing seems unchanged at the moment, but surely not for long.

• Charlieface says:

Made worse because it was overnight

• Lady London says:

In my life I’ve been caught twice by Hertz canning earlier schemes entirely when I was just short of being able to redeem for something. I had thought, with the longevity of the current scheme, that Hertz might have mended its ways.

the sneaky new restrictions on redeeming that were discovered in the past year only when trying to redeem, and were never announced (and still not) must have been a warning sign for them basically trying to kill it off entirely again.

I’ve been eyeing Europcar up for a while, nice tie-up with Accor in a few places, and also gave Avis a whirl a couple of times in the past year, was not dissatisfied. I’d rather stay with Hertz and hope they will not force me to switch.

2. Are Hilton having a group-wide sale to celebrate, too? I saw a post on the HK Conrad Facebook page about a 100 day dale but the link just went to their generic offers page.

3. Concerto says:

So I have a Hertz reservation booked through the COOP supermarket in Switzerland and got a pretty good deal for it (CHF155 for 5 days from BHX airport for a midsize). At pickup can I replace my COOP number with my Virgin Atlantic number?

4. Shoestring says:

[Virgin Trains is launching a mobile app that helps passengers take advantage of split ticketing to save money on journeys, claiming it could save users £1billion.

Split ticketing involves buying multiple tickets for separate sections of one journey, with a combined price which is less than the standard fare.]

• Andrew says:

In some cases, the cheapest ticket is for a longer journey.

I often travel to Edinburgh. From my location near London, the cheapest walk-up return in the peak is in the region of £350. If instead I buy a walk-up return in the peak to a town just 20 minutes outside Edinburgh (that requires a change of train in Edinburgh), that ticket is in the region of £160. A saving of £190 for doing absolutely nothing.

(Even though I’ve got no intention whatsoever to travel onwards to that location).

Better still, because I’ve bought a connecting ticket, if that onward train (even though I’m not going there) is cancelled, delayed or I “miss” the connection causing a 30 minute delay at my ticketed destination – I can get a full journey refund too!

There are similar quirks throughout the network. Scotrail refuse to sell a period return from my parent’s location to Edinburgh. Two singles must be bought instead. However, they’ll sell a period return to a location just outside of Edinburgh that costs £8 less than two singles just to Edinburgh.

• Shoestring says:

yep – smart but that’s what somebody in the City got fined a helluva lot for – getting the cheaper longer ticket then getting off early

as in: according to the T&Cs, it’s illegal

• Only for advance tickets. Anytime tickets have no break of journey restrictions and many off-peak tickets don’t.

• Virgin Trains also wants to abolish walk-up flexible tickets, arguing that all passengers should have a reserved seat and all tickets must be pre-booked for a specific train.

Currently, with walk-up tickets one can choose to get on a crowded train and stand, or wait for another train that has more seats. Flexible return tickets are generally priced at 10p to £1 more than the single fare. If VT has its way, all tickets would be singles (the price might go down a bit, but certainly drop by half) and passengers on “local” journeys like Birmingham to Wolverhampton or Birmingham Int’l would be forced onto crowded WMT trains whilst empty VT trains go past.

5. Michael says:

So I’m assuming this replaces earning avios through the BA e store if there’s a direct earning relationship?

6. AndyGWP says:

Re: Hertz – I have 3100points expiring in 7 months. It is unlikely I will rent before then so think my only option is the Hertz rewards auction site.

For the past few months I have only seen Mandarin Oriental gift cards on there although recently newer items like Wimbledon etc have been appearing. I’m likely to plump for MO tho before my points expire given limited other suitable options… but are there any other suggestions on what I could do to extend the points or use them effectively?

7. So, Rob – what is the best formula to calculate whether to use Avios only rates or Avios + Hotels.com rewards? Kind of your mainstream view and other scenarios. Assuming you collect both

• Take her Rewards credit IF you realistically think you can manage 10 nights to get a free one.

8. Laineyling says:

Staying at syon park Hilton today. They had cake, a house cocktail, and a wheel with prizes on offer (one spin per room, not per member).

9. Waddle says:

OT: Posing a question to any soletraders/freelancers/contractors with an Amex biz card. If you don’t have a ltd company or company name and you trade under your own name, how does your name appear on the card? What is in the field for the company name?

10. Lady London says:

On the hotels.com offer with BA, wondering if this is the time to dump my few remaining clubcard points into hotels.com and used them to book and pick up some avios. I’m currently not staying enough in independents to use hotels.com. But guessing as I wouild have to log in on hotels.com to use the amount transferred from clubcard, this would mean I’d only get the lower rate of BA avios instead. decisions, decisions…

Plus I think I saw somewhere that sometime in August, Clubcard is going to drop hotels.com as a partner?

• Don’t think you can combine the Tesco CC and the BA Avios collecting with hotels.com. To use the Tesco vouchers you have to use a specific Tesco link, thereby stopping you going through an affiliate link.