British Grand Prix tickets available NOW via Marriott Moments (direct redemption, no auction)

If you are sitting on some Marriott Bonvoy points, this is a unique chance to see the British Grand Prix for a very affordable (points) price.

These packages have appeared on Marriott Moments.  They will NOT last long now that I have posted this – I am talking hours rather than days.

* EDIT: all packages have now gone – all to HFP readers!  The auction lots mentioned further down are still open for bidding. *

For 60,000 Marriott Bonvoy points – which I would usually value at £300 based on 0.5p per point – you can get:

• TWO grandstand tickets for race day on Sunday 14th July at Silverstone
  • Transportation between the Northampton Marriott Hotel and the circuit
  • A lunch pack provided at the track
  • Marriott Bonvoy Gift Pack
  • A dedicated group host for the duration of the day

You can redeem here.  There were originally nine packages but it had dropped to six by last night.

Alternatively, for 30,000 Marriott Bonvoy points – which I would usually value at £150 based on 0.5p per point – you can get:

• TWO grandstand tickets for qualifying day on Saturday 13th July at Silverstone
  • Transportation between the Northampton Marriott Hotel and the circuit
  • A lunch pack provided at the track
  • Marriott Bonvoy Gift Pack
  • A dedicated group host for the duration of the day

You can redeem here.  There were nine packages available as of last night.

There are also auction packages with VIP hospitality available to bid on:

VIP package including Mercedes team access on practice day, Friday 12th July

VIP package including Mercedes team access on qualifying day, Saturday 13th July

VIP package including Mercedes team access on race day, Sunday 14th July

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card.  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.

What are the best hotel promos for June?
Aer Lingus flat beds bookable between London and Dublin!

Comments

1. Robert J says:

Sorry for another OT Question but can anyone see their progress against Current IHG Accelerate Targets? Normally you get a tracker towards completing them and they pay out the bonus as soon as you hit it.

At the moment I have hit 1 of my targets (Stay in 2 brands) and should be 66% of the way to another (and 20% towards a third) yet so far have had no points and it isn’t showing where I am up to.

Just wondering if it was just me (As I had the same issue as Rob in not getting my targets when it first launched) or if IHG are having issues.

2. Grant says:

OT – A few queries regarding Marriott Reward Bookings

1. Is it possible to combine reward night certificates with points in one booking, e.g. two reward night certificates, plus two lots of points for a five night stay (with the five for four offer)?

2. If the above is possible, would a friendly CS agent pull certs from one Bonvoy account and points from another?

3. This particular hotel has double double rooms which would accommodate my wife and I and both small children (4 and 2). I can book these if I only select 2 occupants but not if I select 4. Would I need to contact the hotel after booking to add the children to the booking?

4. FInally, I only have Gold status so no breakfast included. Are there examples where hotels will negotiate a cash upgrade on a reward stay to include breakfast, that isn’t just the full cost of breakfast each day? This particular example is likely ~ £30 per head for breakfast, so would add a not insignicant cost to a ‘free’ stay.

Thanks

• 1. No
      2. So, no (but you can transfer points for free from one person to another, up to 100k per year)
      3. If the room description does not say ‘Max occupancy 4’ then it may not be allowed irrespective of the bedding (although sometimes hotels make a mistake in their IT and won’t allow online bookings for rooms even when you are at the ‘Max occupancy’ threshold)
      4. Unlikely, unless the hotel has an Executive Lounge – they are likely to do a deal on that for a reward night

Remember that a lot of Marriott properties allows co-pays with cash for bigger or executive rooms. The JW Marriott in Venice, for eg, where we have been a few times, is 45,000 points per night IIRC but for 45,000 + Euro 200 you can book a Junior Suite which sleeps four.

• Grant says:

Thanks Rob. As a follow up then in relation to 1 and 2, presumably there is nothing to stop us from making one booking using the certs (from my wife’s account) for the first two nights and a second booking using the points (from my account) for another two nights. Miss out on the five for four though

3. OT- Anyone, successfully appeal IHG Premium credit application rejection.

• I’ve not appealed, but I was rejected which seemed very odd, considering the last time I was rejected for a credit card I was 21 and had no history.

Glad to know it’s not just me.

• What stage did you get rejected?
      Did you get past the eligibility checker and then get rejected on your application?
      Or did the eligibility checker stop you from applying?

• I am the same got past the eligibility check, then declined at the end.

• Fola Akingboye says:

I got past the eligibility check, the application was referred and I waited for the decision; called them to check the status, they said it is still being looked at and finally they sent a rejection letter. They claimed I might not have met their internal criteria.

4. Shoestring says:

O/T log in to Ebay, go to your Home page and likely as not you can activate a Nectar promotion. Get 50 extra Nectar points on your next 10 purchases £5+ – plus get 250 bonus Nectar points if you make 10 purchases £5+ by June 26th.

I got it as above but there are some variants. Points value is chickenfeed but you might as well activate it and get extra Nectar points.

• Shoestring says:

There’s also a targeted spend £5, get back £5 – my wife & my son both have it, you need to opt in. So it would combine with the Nectar points promo if you use this free £5 back promo over at Ebay. Where to find it? Log in, go to home page, scroll through the homepage offers banner at the top.

• Shoestring says:

Some people are getting spend £10, get back £10.

• I got this, which was a surprise because I never knew it existed! However, bought something which had to go back and when I went back to reorder a smaller size the offer was there.

5. OT – Amex. Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but I’ve just noticed that on the website it now says that if you are referred to the Platinum every day cashback, you get an extra £10 cashback after spending £1. It’s not clear whether this is applied straight away or after a set period (is cashback normally paid at the end of the card year, I can’t remember?)

6. Michael says:

25 points for watching the new Virgin Trains TV Advert on my nectar app.

• I have that too, it seems. No logging in required luckily, just click through. The ad is actually quite clever.

7. OT – Amex. Sorry if it’s been mentioned before but the website is showing a bonus £10 cash back on the every day Platinum “cash back” (HFP does not seem to like this as one word!) card after spending £1 if you are referred. It’s not clear when this would be credited though.

• PaulC says:

ahh that’s why I haven’t been able to ask a question since Monday, been trying to post it all this time. Sorry another OT coming your way. HaHa

• You get it with the rest of your cash baak as a statement t credit on 1st anniversary provided you have spent at least £3k.

• This has always been there as a refer-a-friend benefit AFAIK.

• Yes, and there is also £5 for adding a support. The bonuses are higher on the fee version as would be expected

8. PaulC says:

Sorry OT Curve
    Does Cash back from supermarkets get charged fees using Curve, In particular Lloyds Avios?
    Also will it be eligible for Curves 1% cash back if you select that supermarket?
    I’ve got a builder to pay cash next month, this could be very handy..

• Test it with £10 and see.

• PaulC says:

I tried £15 on Monday night in my local Co-op. Its finally showing on my Lloyds online statement with no fees but is that it now or do I need to wait for the final bill to come through to confirm? It will be too late then as I’ve just started next statement that wont be due until early next month.
        This was my very first transaction with curve so completely new to me.

9. Craig says:

OT – Ba call centres. I’m looking to book a redemption via companion voucher tonight and don’t have enough avios to book the flights at 1am BST and then redeem the voucher in the morning (I have already booked the outbound).

Which number should i call to speak to a BA call centre in the US? I can’t see any US call centre numbers on the list on the BA website. Has anyone done this before and know who to ring? only got one chance so don’t want to ring the wrong number at 1am!

Thanks 🙂

• Dougie Forde says:

I managed last year using 00 1 (800) 247 9297

Used WhatsApp and I wasn’t charged for the call

Worked perfectly, hope you get it sorted.

• Spurs Debs says:

Craig are you flying F on the outbound journey ?
      If you are call BA first class UK number no need to call USA or Japan.. I suggest who ever you call phone at least 5 mins before they open as in 12.55am to get through security questions.

• Spurs Debs says:

BA first number

0800 408 7667

• Craig says:

unfortunately no F released on the outbound, although I have set up an alert on a friends account to get an alert if any is released. Currently in Club World

That’s really useful to know though. The perks of flying first eh!

Will definitely ring at 12.55 – thanks for the advice!

• Spurs Debs says:

Oh yes ! I was lucky had booked club out had an alert for first, phoned up and got them. Then I thought surely the first class phone number is 24 hours I phoned up and asked if I called back at the correct time would they be able to get my return flights. Yes no problem, I actually called at 12.52am and had couple of mins to spare. Had nice chat with the CS man who said he liked trying to get the tickets but hated disappointing passengers.
            No problem waiting for a few minutes we just had a chat!
            Have your passport handy as they asked for mine re security.

The night before I tried calling Japan as that’s where I’m going, was on hold for twenty mins a nightmare. I had the tickets in basket but they didn’t go through. I had enough points to do it that way. So next night I wasn’t taking any chances!

Good luck !

• Craig says:

Thanks Debs – got them! I knew MRU-LON in club were tricky to get so definitely didn’t want to take any chances like you say. Turns out the US number actually seemed to re-route to a UK call centre that is open for US customers??? That’s a relief anyway. I now just hope F opens up on the way out and that will make my year!

Thanks!

• Spurs Debs says:

Well done Craig! MRU Mauritius?

I did club world redemption about 4 years ago there treated my son, we had a fabulous time.
            If you like horse racing and a fab day out we did this, expensive but had an amazing day.

We also did a helicopter flight which was great.
            A speedboat trip to feed the not so wild monkeys.
            And I hired a catamaran for a days private sailing.
            If golf is your thing this course is spectacular and hard!

Have a fab time.

• Craig says:

thanks very much for the tips ! i will look into all those points. looking forward to it!

10. Babyg says:

Yippee another see sports event surrounded by HFPointers and their credit card churning chatter.

Whilst I have total respect for Rob and his website (and he needs to post to generate income), I do think that not every single points event/opportunity needs be posted here, I guess that’s just me trying to score some bargain tickets I guess.

But once Rob posts something basically everybody piles in and hoovers up the offers or pushes up the auction prices.

Sure if things are going to go to waste then posting about niche offers is a good idea, but altering the horde (the same horde who continue to ask about the green to plat bonus openly, the same horde who were in no small way directly responsible for the amex anti churn changes) will in the long term ruin another way great way to quietly redeem points.

• Could be worse, they could all be gabbing about their new amex metal cards, Brexit or the Tory leadership so count your blessings. I think posting the moments etc is a positive thing on HFP coverage though.

• These are straight redemptions though, and you’ve had 48 hours to get them! It’s not as if Marriott / Hilton / IHG are tipping me off in advance, because they’re not.

• Spurs Debs says:

Don’t lump us all together, I’m taking the family to the mclaren family day. You won’t hear me talking about metal cards as don’t have or want one, and I’ve never churned!

But I am thankful for the heads up about the event from HFP
      Or I would of missed it, as I tend not to remember to check what events are available.

11. Simon says:

OT. Has anyone had any luck getting foreign transaction charges refunded on the lloyds amex card? I have gbp 25 from 30/5 which is annoying.

• Earlier comments suggest some have received refunds. Might depend on your story, and at some point Lloyd’s will almost certainly start refusing any refunds.

• If your haven’t had your letter about the card changes, or are still within your 60 day notice period, Lloyds have no right whatsoever to charge FX fees and are obliged to refund them.