BA Sale

Get a 100% bonus buying Hilton points this week – worth it?

Hilton Honors has launched a new promotion offering a 100% bonus when you purchase 5,000+ points.

The Hilton ‘buy points’ page is here.

This is a weird one because you only get the bonus if you buy 40,000 points (= 80,000 with the bonus) for $400 or 80,000 points (= 160,000 with the bonus) for $800.

Regular readers of Head for Points will know that I tend to value Hilton points at 0.33p each.  You are paying 0.39p ($800 / £630 for 160,000) here so the maths in general doesn’t work.

HOWEVER ….. there ARE real bargains to be had at peak periods.  Conrad Maldives at 95,000 points per night, the new Waldorf Astoria Maldives at 120,000 points, Conrad New York at 95,000 points etc are places where you will usually save a lot of money by buying points instead of paying cash.  This is especially true if you have Hilton status and can get ‘5 nights for the points of 4’ on a longer stay.

If you are just buying a handful of points to top off your account, the price per point doesn’t matter anyway.  If you a few thousand short of a redemption then this is a decent opportunity to buy them.

Looking at the small print, you can buy 80,000 points via this offer and it will not count towards your annual ‘buy points’ limit.

You can buy points via this link.  The offer ends on 4th July.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Attractive Oman Air business class deals from Paris - such as £1042 to Dubai
Food and drink outlets in the new Manchester Airport Terminal 2 unveiled

BA Sale

Comments

1. PaulC says:

How do you find out how many points a certain hotel costs and availability? I don’t have any points in my Hilton account yet but have a couple of stays coming up and wondering if its going to be worth me buying these points now an using them for 5 nights in Hong Kong (Gold Status) or one night in Macau for the experience?

• Rooster says:

you don’t need to login to check availability/points cost

• PaulC says:

So If the option isn’t there for pay with points or points & cash then it would suggest there isn’t availability? I’m new to hotel redemptions and just trying to explore my options.

• The Original David says:

Hilton has a party trick where if you are logged in and don’t have enough points for a redemption, it will tell you that no redemption nights are available. Totally useless if you’re considering topping up your account from somewhere else to make a booking…

• PaulC says:

I can now see it if I don’t login. Thanks

2. Charlieface says:

MEN is horrific, and then Rob wonders why people use Adblock. Sorry but HfP is the only website on my whitelist. Anyone else who’s website doesn’t work I couldn’t care less

• Local news sites are particularly bad for that kind of thing. The Liverpool Echo site is the same. I get why they need to take as much advertising cash as they can, but you wonder how many visitors they turn away because of how intrusive it can be (and how long it can all take to load).

• Here’s the thing. It doesn’t work. Mailonline publishes their page views and ad revenue. I did the maths and we get twice as much per page view as them, from half the ads. Part of that is our demographics but part is simply not overwhelming readers.

• Rob doesn’t ‘wonder’ he just doesn’t want you using an ad-blocker as he loses affiliate commission – every (or most) link he presents is an earner for him. Personally I avoid all affiliate links, not just HFP.

• Nick_C says:

And how do you expect this site to be funded?

• Charlieface says:

No obviously that’s how it could be funded, he just expresses surprise sometimes that people have adblock at all. I whitelist HFP because I appreciate the content and the ads aren’t bad, MEN on the other hand…

• David says:

Tim – why do you avoid all affiliate links?

Presumably for you to be following an affiliate link you must have been on a site for some reason – ie the site must have benefitted you.

So why do you try not to use them?

• I don’t wonder why people use AdBlockers … I wonder how you can read HFP when almost all of the images and hyperlinks are missing ….

3. BlueHorizonuk says:

Quick OT Q

Going to book a flight to New Orleans, which would you do?

1) Use Lloyds voucher to book into Club using 65,000 Avios (PE redemption is 65,000) and £600ish in taxes

2) Book a cash ticket at £1,300 straight into Club World?

3) Book a cash PE ticket at £980 and then use Avios to upgrade using 60,000 Avios plus additional taxes?

I think option 3 is bad but not sure between 1 and 2.

Thanks

• BlueHorizonuk says:

Maybe 3 isn’t bad, lol

HELP

• Stu N says:

If you have £1,300 then (2) is probably best bet, though heavily discounted CW fares will be completely inflexible if that matters. On the plus side, you’re not restricted by Avios availability. You’d earn 280TPs and something like 15-22k Avios too depending on BA status which may be useful to you.
        (1) is similar value and hits approx. 1p/ Avios – will give flexibility but tied to redemption availability and no Avios/TP earning.
        (3) looks like a terrible deal to me – you’re getting < 0.5p/ per Avios. It's so bad you'd probably be better doing (2) but using Avios to reduce the cost of your flight.

• Stu N says:

Also, for (2), look at adding a car and pricing it up as a BA Holiday – it may come out cheaper or same price. Benefit of a holiday booking is that it allows you to pay a smallish balance and defer payment to 5 weeks before you fly, so effectively cancellable for a smallish charge and you earn an extra 1 Avios per £. If you don’t need a car or “forget” to collect it, nothing bad happens.

4. Harry T says:

Tried to add my OH as an additional card holder on my Virgin Rewards Plus card but Virgin have rejected my application as she doesn’t live at the same address as me. I have called them today and they have insisted that the additional card holder must live at the same address. Has anybody else experienced this problem?

• Shoestring says:

apply again & now she moved in with you

• Harry T says:

Think that would look suspicious!

• Shoestring says:

to that computer program, you mean?

I doubt if Virgin particularly care but they just have a rule that supps must live at the same address, so easy enough to comply

main cardholder is still liable for all purchases & paying them off so it’s not as if you’re making Virgin’s position any worse

• Harry T says:

I suppose I though it might look a bit dodgy after I talked to one of their customer service reps today and received that information. It didn’t actually say online why the application was rejected. The CS rep attempted to add my supp over the phone but then said it wouldn’t be possible if she didn’t live at the same address. Would they run any checks to see if she lives at the same address?

5. OT: I referred other half for BA Amex card. He’s spent £1000 and it says 1,000 Avios welcome bonus. He’s never had a BA Amex before. I thought the welcome bonus was 5k or 6k.

• What did it say when you made the referral? I thought the sign up bonus was 5/6000 on the free BA card but this might have changed with the recent Amex shake up.

• Also – the 1000 could be the extra bonus for being referred and the rest might appear shortly!

• Jonathan says:

My dad had this, the 1000 extra avios points posted with the last quality spend. The 5000 avios posted about 3 weeks later.

6. Roger says:

Rob

Any opinion on this?

Promises 0.5% cash back on all Debit ca d spend

• Freddy says:

Just a MasterCard debit, rare to find a place insisting on MasterCard debit only + business only card.

7. Taylor says:

OT: If I have signed up to plat and enrolled with hotel chains that I did not previously have an account, do they contact me to set one up after I have filled in the online form? Been several weeks now and nothing…

• PaulC says:

I’m still waiting for 2 of mine. Been about 6 weeks. Waiting to close the account but want the memberships first.

8. Out of interest Rob, where do you see the 120,000 for the Waldorf Maldives? I’m checking for early next year and the cheapest Honors points redemption I’ve seen (and having just spoen with customer service) is approximately 800,000! Which would make even this offer far from worth it. cheers.

• 120k was the price when booking opened. Anything at 800k is a Premium Redemption after all standard rooms have been booked. It is possible they have temporarily removed standard availability for some reason.