Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get £100 off £500 of Hilton USA hotel spending with an American Express cashback offer

A new American Express offer has been launched with Hilton.  You may find this in the ‘Offers’ section of one, all or none of your cards on the online statement page.  I have it on my BA Amex but not my Platinum card.

If you have it, this is the deal:

Receive £100 statement credit when spending £500 at Hilton properties in the US

Valid until 31st October

Only valid when you pay at the hotel (“excludes online payments”)

There is NO list of participating hotels.  This is a problem.  Historically, Hilton offers have applied across all brands – Waldorf Astoria, Hampton, DoubleTree etc.

It doesn’t say that here.  All references to hotels just say ‘Hilton’ or ‘Hilton properties’ or ‘participating Hilton hotels’ – not ‘Hilton family’, ‘Hilton owned’, ‘Hilton group’ etc.  It is perfectly possible that you won’t get it at a DoubleTree or, say, the highly acclaimed Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills pictured below.

Remember that you will be hit by a 3% foreign exchange fee when paying on an American Express card in the US.  This reduces the value of the cashback if you would otherwise have paid on a 0% FX fees card.

Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Hilton Honors Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Comments (129)

• Dan Chinh Nguyen says:

I’ve got an extra ticket for the HfP summer party tomorrow if anyone is interested in buying it off me. Please email [email protected]

• Shoestring says:

sounds up your street, Raffles https://www.grantleyhall.co.uk

if, probably, a bit empty (opened yesterday)

(Relais & Châteaux)

• Rob says:

Grief. I know Lord Grantley (for clarity, I only know one Lord well, I don’t make a habit of it.) We used to work together and then, by coincidence, we moved in 3 doors down from him.

• Optimus Prime says:

Sorry, another OT – any hotel recommendations for Athens? I have just checked TripAdvisor reviews for Meliá and Marriott Fresh Hotel and both have reports of guests mugged by the hotel entrance, so I guess it’s best to avoid that area (Omonia metro station).

Intercontinental also has reports of the area being run down and having many strip clubs…

• Jovanna says:

Hilton? I stayed there about 5 years ago and it was fine. No idea about that area but was mugged in the rooftop bar – about €20 for a bottled beer – that sort of thing. Upgraded to a room overlooking the Acropolis, which was a fantastic view.

• Optimus Prime says:

Lol, thanks for the tip. I’ve checked the Hilton though at EUR 395 per night by end of September I could book one of the all inclusive Ikos resorts!

• Cat says:

I really liked both the King George and the Grande Bretagne

• Waddle says:

OT BA Tiers
    I’ve earned bronze with about 6 months to go before Tier points reset. Tier points expiry is Jan 2020 and Bronze expiry is Feb 2021. My question is In the first full year (2020) after tier points reset after earning bronze, do I have to earn 300 or 600 TP points to progress to silver?

• memesweeper says:

To get Silver now you need 300 on top of Bronze before Jan 2020, if you do that you’ll be silver until Feb 2021.
      If you don’t manage that, to get Silver after Jan 2020 you need 600 before Jan 2021, you’ll be Silver until Feb 2022.

• TGLoyalty says:

You will need to earn 600 to become silver

• Chrisasaurus says:

OT (obv)

Any ideas on how to prevent Enterprise Plus points expiring, other than a needless rental?

• IanMac says:

The Hilton USA offer does not show on my BAPP Amex
    I’ve made good use of the Amex Hilton UK offers over the last couple of years.
    I’m Hilton Diamond through BAEC GGL – perhaps a targeted offer ??

• Simon says:

the Hilton offer on my card contains the the rather picky term:
    “Offer only applies to the amount made in USD and settled in Great British Pound (GBP)”

It’s still 3% but hints that the credit might not pay if you pay in original currency…

• TGLoyalty says:

Amex doesn’t allow DCC so it will always be paid in local currency and converted by AMEX.