Virgin Atlantic Sale

Finally …… the full British Airways peak and off peak Avios calendar for 2020

What are the peak and off-peak dates for redeeming Avios points in 2020?

British Airways still hasn’t officially released the peak and off peak dates for reward flights in 2020 but we now have some clarity on what the calendar will look like next year.

(If you are looking for 2019, the peak and off-peak Avios dates for British Airways and Iberia are here and for Aer Lingus here.)

We have managed to get our hands on what we believe is the full 2020 timetable via BA contacts.  We have turned this into a neat little table, below, which gives a better overview of the entire year’s peak and off peak availability.

British Airways normally releases the calendar in June, and some people have been speculating that the lack of an announcement might mean that it is moving to revenue-based redemptions next year.  Now that we have the calendar, however, we can be fairly confident that redemptions will remain on a peak and off peak basis for 2020.

There are two things to remember:

This calendar only applies to BA.  Iberia and Aer Lingus have their own peak and off-peak dates, which can often be helpful.  October half-term is off-peak for Iberia, for example, so New York in Business Class from Madrid is 68,000 Avios vs 120,000 Avios for a peak-date BA flight from London.

The BA calendar applies wherever you book a BA redemption, whether it is on ba.com, iberia.com or avios.com.  Similarly, if you try to book an Iberia redemption on ba.com it will NOT follow the dates below.

All redemptions on partner airlines such as Qatar Airways are charged at peak rates, 100% of the time

Note that peak dates are in yellow whilst off peak is in white.  Click to enlarge:

British Airways peak and off peak calendar 2020

Don’t ask why Tuesday 11th and Tuesday 18th August are off-peak!  It is also isn’t clear why Wednesday 15th April (Easter Wednesday) is a solo off-peak day.  This is not an error – you can check yourself on ba.com as 15th April is already bookable.

As you would expect, peak dates cover all the school breaks as well as the majority of bank holidays.  The only bank holiday weekend during an off-peak time is the first May bank holiday, which was moved from its usual Monday slot to Friday 8th May to coincide with VE Day.  It is still possible that BA flips this to a peak date!

As a reminder, here is the peak and off-peak Avios pricing chart for British Airways flights:

Cost of Avios reward flights redemption chart

The zones relate to the distance flown:

• Zone 1: 1 – 650 miles
  • Zone 2: 651 – 1,150 miles
  • Zone 3: 1,151 – 2,000 miles
  • Zone 4: 2,001 – 3,000 miles
  • Zone 5: 3,001 – 4,000 miles
  • Zone 6: 4,001 – 5,500 miles
  • Zone 7: 5,501 – 6,500 miles
  • Zone 8: 6,501 – 7,000 miles
  • Zone 9: 7,000+ miles

40% bonus when you use Virgin Flying Club 'Miles Booster' - good deal?
Virgin Atlantic offering 0% FX fees to new credit card applicants - better than bonus miles?

IHG Sale

Comments

1. AndyGWP says:

Well the amount of peak weekends in October surprised me 🤔

Regional school hols or something?

• Matt B says:

Half term & Easter hols are often different in various parts of the country. I’d imagine private schools also have longer off.

• Private schools have a 2 week October half term, as Caribbean holidays are difficult to fit into 7 days.

• Spurs Debs says:

Half term in England

• AndyGWP says:

Yes, sorry – should have clarified. Aware the last week was half term, but wasn’t sure about the week before, or even the weekend before that (10/11 October)

2. Jamie P says:

Wow, only two days in the next 355 where there are x2 F seats from LHR to HKG; Christmas Day and New Years Day.
    I know BA don’t have to release F and it’s a premium heavy route but I still think that’s crazy.

• Mark2 says:

Perhaps they were released and someone else booked them?

• Jamie P says:

Maybe Mark2. Very astute of you

• AndyGWP says:

On a similar note, I can find no redemption availability in any class for LGW to HAV with Virgin. I think I should’ve checked availability before I started collecting the miles! 😂

• Dominic Montgomery says:

I’m looking for LHR-HKG too. I’m sure I looked within last week and there was availability and now there is nothing. Discussion on flyertalk where people think there is some sort of issue. Rob, do you know anything? Is this normal for HKG?

3. ankomonkey says:

Accor rejected my payment from one of the sites that can’t be named, claiming I’d cancelled the stay. I stayed. I’ve mailed them screenshots of the site informing me Accor had rejected due to cancellation along with my LeClub points entries for the stay in question.

So who’s lying?

• Shoestring says:

not a lot you can do except move on

my success rate is close to 9:1 – and I knew in advance that plenty of the declined transactions were likely to be declined (often big ticket entertainment or insurance – the good old days)

• ankomonkey says:

I met all the criteria and broke no rules, so should have got the money. Why couldn’t the disingenuous rejection have been 20p from ebay rather than £45 from Accor? Ba$t%^&*!

• Was it a cash booking (you mention points) and was it cancellable? If yes and you have something from the hotel saying you cancelled, you might ask for the refund! They can’t have it both ways. But that site seems to have become more and more unreliable, I very much see it as a “nice if it happens” thing now. I certainly don’t factor it in to my decision-making like I once did. I earned £1800+ from it I’m my first year, and less than a further £100 in the 4 years since.

4. OT (no Bits) – ICO just handed a £99m fine to Marriott for their data breach. I’m love this new spine the ICO seem to have grown, especially important given the dismissive way the likes of BA and Marriott responded to the beaches (nevermind failed to protect customers’ data).

• Shoestring says:

saw that – no problem with the rediscovered backbone but looks way OTT in terms of a £££s penalty for the actual damage & inconvenience caused

• Customer DPA claim around GBP1,500 p.p.as ex gratia payment. Times that by the amount of people who were affected….

• Doug M says:

But should it reflect the damage, or should it be punitive to send the message that data is not to be treated so poorly. Have either of these companies shown the slightest admission of failure. Alex Cruz continually saying not one single example of compromised data being used, despite hundreds of examples of that being untrue, or are all those posts on FT fiction. In reality the number of cards used fraudulently is probably in the thousands. I think they’re getting off lightly.

• Shoestring says:

[BRITISH Airways has promised to fight a record fine of £183m for a customer data breach last year. Willie Walsh, the chief of British Airways owner IAG, said the airline would “take all appropriate steps to defend the airline’s position vigorously”. BA was hit by a “sophisticated, malicious criminal attack” that resulted in the details of 500,000 customers being accessed by hackers.The size of the sanction surprised experts. Patrick Arben, of law firm Gowling WLG, said it “is much higher than many were expecting”.]

• Doug M says:

The general view of the ‘Technical’ aspect of the hack is that it was rather simple as BA somewhat left the door ajar. Walsh is just using the he who shouts loudest defence.

• “Have either of these companies shown the slightest admission of failure.”

Exactly, of course the haven’t. They’re just showing contempt for their customers and arguing that despite compromising huge numbers of customers’ personal data, they’ve done nothing much wrong and shouldn’t be punished because <>.

• … because –insert vacuous excuse–

(Sorry, looks like the blog readers anything in angle brackets)

• Agreed – hopefully these will make other companies start to pay attention to protecting customer data a bit better.

• It’s not “new backbone” as such. It’s that the law has changed, and these are the first two UK prosecutions under the GDPR.

Trust me, all companies of any size new about the new laws, and the serious consequences of falling foul of them.

I don’t have much sympathy here. Companies have to do better. They’ve known for a couple of years what the consequences will be of they don’t.

• I’m aware of the change in the maximum fines under GDPR however it remains the case that the ICO could have issued lower fines if they wished so I still see it as a positive step. Hopefully by setting these initial fines at quite decent levels they’ll force companies to think a bit more closely about protecting customer data!

5. O/T

Ive been reading the Alaska Airlines redemption article and unless i missed it i just wanted to ask if anyone has booked them using avios. If so do you get a checked bag included in the avios booking or is this extra?

Thanks

6. david says:

OT

I have an Iberia Plus account opened for a year but with 0 avios. Can I transfer 1 avios from BAEC to Iberia Plus to avoid ADPR taxes on a MAD-JFK flight? Thanks

7. Dominic Montgomery says:

I have an Amex BA 241 Voucher expiring in December. I have already done a long haul trip with another 241 voucher this year to the states and going on a separate holiday in the summer. Consequently, I am looking for a short trip, relatively in-expensive (i.e. not over £1k in taxes) but reasonable value way of using this voucher.

I live near LBA, so could use a domestic connection.

Can anyone suggest anywhere to look at? I’ve been looking at using it on RFS CE, but it doesn’t feel good value compared to cash on alternative airlines. Maybe a